Scheme EV Requirement – Home Charging Point

This topic contains 23 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Brydo 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #77407 Reply

Trev

Should you lease an EV on the scheme the dealer will arrange through the manufacturer for you to have a Home Charging Unit installed at no extra cost to yourself.

If you were to change address, then any costs associated with fitting a charging point at the new address would be to yourself.

Unfortunately, a requirement of having an electric vehicle through the scheme is that you would have to have a charge point fitted at your home address, thus if you don’t live in a suitable property, i.e. one with a private driveway, you will be unable to lease an EV.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #77433 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Trev I take it that’s from the motability website? If so it disappointing, there millions of pounds being spent on charging points throughout the country so to restrict motability customers in this way is outrageous.

What if you get a charger fitted then move house and don’t get a charger fitted in the new house would they take the car back?

Surely its for every individual to decide if a vehicle is fit for purpose.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#77436 Reply

Trev

This was from the Live Chat Brydo,

I was taking the positives that Motability are including the cost of a home charger in the ‘package’, and seeing that the scheme is for the mobility impaired it’s taking a line to ensure anyone who takes out an ev on the scheme will have easy anytime access to a charger, being it’s at their home.

They wouldn’t take the car back if you moved home, you would have the responsibility then to ensure you had access to a charger. I think it’s great that they are costing and ensuring you have a home charger when you take out the lease.

My view is from a personal point from the experience i had in trying to get permission for a home charger so i could consider an EV. My position remains the same that without a home charger i wouldn’t entertain an EV.

The problem here isn’t motability, it’s more to do with legislation surrounding who can have a home charger.. it shouldn’t be for only those that have a private driveway. And again personally for me, social housing landlords should be approving permission for home chargers, and not refusing on the basis that they would be then responsible for additional wiring.

#77437 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Trev does this included PHEV or just EV, and does it cover the full installation as per the government grant contribution?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#77438 Reply

eame64
    Participant

Is this just for EV’s or are Phevs also included? as we paid for are own charger to be installed.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

#77439 Reply

Trev

I only asked about EV’s, one would assume this applies just to them, but i can certainly ask the question tomorrow and post back with clarification – no problem.

The supply and installation is fully covered Oscarmax

#77440 Reply

eame64
    Participant

Thanks Trev,although its probably to late for me since i already had it installed.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

#77441 Reply

Trev

I would hope they would bring some documentation about this in the form of a webpage, leaflet, etc But i presume it’s still a trial in progress and maybe it’s a reason for not adding an influx of EV’s on to the scheme until they have ironed out any creases.

For the manufacturer to be responsible for installing the home charger is great, but unless all manufacturers are going to use the same contractor, or at least a majority of them, then installation times will be greatly varied. It also leads to a number of unanswered questions i.e when do you enter your pin, at installation of the charger or handover of the vehicle? and if the latter can you still pull out of the lease after installation of the charger? I’m afraid it opens more questions than i can answer.

#77447 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Trev usually the chargers are installed a few weeks prior to the car being delivered, well the EVs iv`e heard of.

It is great that Motability install the charger free of charge but refusing a customer who can`t park off street seems questionable at the very least.

EVs should be available to all no matter your housing situation, if, like yourself Trev, you wouldn’t want an EV without one, that’s fine, but to refuse others who would happily seek out a local charging point is ridiculous.

#77448 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Info on EV connector types in case you get a choice.

EV connector types

#77449 Reply

Bo
    Participant

You are not required to have a charger fitter for a PHEV. The pamphlet that comes with the pin code after ordering only suggest you get one

I had to pay for my own

PS. Love my new Outlander

#77450 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

So EV’s only available to less than 20% of scheme users then.

#77452 Reply

JS (justsaying)

@bo

PHEV & EV are far apart and two separate issues I don’t see the point within relations to the Thread.

great to hear your enjoying the Outlander though , a lot of interest in that at the moment. But and @brydo may correct me on this but you can run a PHEV and never plug it in, as it runs on fuel, plug in is optional. EV is necessary.

#77453 Reply

Bo
    Participant

Hi JS

You are absolutely right you can run it without ever plugging it in but that would be madness

I only commented as someone earlier asked if it applied to PHEV as well as BEV

#77455 Reply

JS (justsaying)

@bo

Sorry Bo I quickly scanned though threads without reading past comments clearly, and your absolutely right sorry, I’m guilty of not knowing enough about PHEV/ EV etc my comments were not said to offend.

i apologise to yourself and realise once taking the time to read the other posts properly my comment was not necessary. Sorry.

i could of deleted my comment but I’m not one for hiding behind mistakes, I’m guilty of reading it wrong and I apologise for that,

thank you for you informed input to the thread and Forum.

sorry

JS

#77456 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Vinalspin i am contacting motability to ensure they never give you a BEV, you are far to negative with regards to EVs to ever be allowed to drive one 😂

#77459 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Sorry should have posted this link

Charging at home

#77471 Reply

Bo
    Participant

@bo Sorry Bo I quickly scanned though threads without reading past comments clearly, and your absolutely right sorry, I’m guilty of not knowing enough about PHEV/ EV etc my comments were not said to offend. i apologise to yourself and realise once taking the time to read the other posts properly my comment was not necessary. Sorry. i could of deleted my comment but I’m not one for hiding behind mistakes, I’m guilty of reading it wrong and I apologise for that, thank you for you informed input to the thread and Forum. sorry JS

No worries JS

no offence was taken, I fully understand the need to keep a post on track.

Thank you for your apology and the good work done on this forum

Best Wishes

Bo

#77475 Reply

Shawn
    Participant

I have a feeling although my circumstances are just about perfect I think they will take issue with me still having ceramic fuses and not a consumer unit. The reason I still have them is that so far there has been no advantage to my having a consumer unit. It would not be more efficient and in the last 25 years the only time a fuse has blown is when an old style(now banned) bulb has blown and shorted. Plus I could put one in myself but I am not allowed to. If I hadn’t been here so long and could blame the previous owner I would just change it myself. I am not paying £400 to have one put in when the unit itself is only £70 and I could fit it if not for red tape.

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#77480 Reply

mitch
    Participant

if there was an ev with at least 120 miles range,affordable ap i would go for it but my problem is i rent so not sure the landlord would allow a charger to be fitted.

#77482 Reply

Shawn
    Participant

I have just phoned motability customer services and asked them if I “have to have a charge point installed” in my garage and they have told me that it will be very much up to the dealer if I want to use the 240 granny charger and my own electrics or not. It is for the dealer to decide if it would be acceptable.

On the other hand when we were talking it would seem you can just “tell them you already have one installed” and that’s as far as it goes.😉

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#77492 Reply

Trev

Well done Shawn, nice workaround.

#77542 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Cheers brydo, I had been wondering how to get on that list?! 😜

#77543 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

My work here is done lol.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Scheme EV Requirement – Home Charging Point

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: