Right I’m done as that was hard work

• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Richard.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #146718 Reply
    Des

Finally decided on a car after looking for hours every day for month’s. I’m going electric with the kona as it’s too good an offer. I’ve been looking for ages as I got a years extension and I’m fed up putting petrol in the Peugeot, it’s now 26.8 mpg. Fed up checking tyre pressure driving at 60 on MWs.
    was looking at a PHEV as it would really suit me, but after 6 hours of studying the kona through forums and motoring websites I’m of the belief it can do around 250 miles on a full charge and that should be enough for me.
    Bar my mad summer drives where I can clock up 200-300miles a day over several days, I realised that at home I would only need to charge the kona once a week if needed but would top it always just in case. Take October for instance, I only done around 450 miles or February which was 390.

it just makes sense as thanks to (spelling?) gotthejulie? for her breakdown of electric motoring costs and infrastructure and itracicity? for the info on the kona but more importantly the pictures of the boot of the kona.

after reading some of the posts I downloaded the Zap-Map app and the range on that car withe infrastructure around even some of the most rural places here will be enough for happy motoring, well that will depend on some of the B&Bs I stay in in the most rural parts of Ireland allowing me to p,ug in a granny charger overnight, which I don’t think they would mind for a reasonable fee.

so tomorrow I will go around to my Hyundai dealer which is all of a five minute walk from me and order.

still freaking out about the boot mind 🥺

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #146723 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

In the end, that’s what these forums are about, and glad to have been of use to your research.

hope the visit goes well today and the car turns out to be everything you need. It is a little smaller than I’d ideally like, but has everything thing I need, in the end, the size compared to running costs made it a no brainier.

looking forward to hearing what you think of the car once you’ve driven it

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#146727 Reply
    Mike

Great choice, you won’t regret it.  Kona would have been my choice if I could charge at home.

#146744 Reply
    Des

Intranicty I won’t be allowed to drive it for another 5 months and after problems last night that may be 11 months 😥.

I would be afraid of it being removed or price hiked so will order now and sure by the time of delivery which I’ve no idea on waiting times for the. Kona it won’t be so bad. But if my defib has went of again then I’m handing my current car back as 11 months is to long to go without a licence.

Hope it will be Mike.

#146746 Reply
    Chub

You will love it my partner has one and loves it he also has  a Mercedes but uses his kona all of the time these days. Good choice

#146749 Reply
    YorkMan
    Participant

@Des – I think thats a great choice.  We are in the same situation, we are extending our lease another year and will choose an EV next year; fed up of oil price manipulation and this way we do our bit for the environment as well as helping to bring down the oil industry – win win 🙂

#146751 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Yorkman, without the oil industry their would be no other industry – no plastics and no electric cars, no ships at sea, no import and export – in fact, no economy.  We may prefer not to burn the stuff in our vehicles, but we do need the oil industry!

#146764 Reply
    Bandit
    Participant

Sound choice. Tbh, if I was currently in the order/change phase I think I’d be snapping that current offer up as well!

#146805 Reply
    Des

Well that escalated quickly. Took a dander around to the dealers today and saw it in the flesh.

Looked great outside and I think contrary to reviews the inside is nice as well. Yes it is small but we are a 4 member family so it’s fine. Not even worried about the boot tbh, I’ll get by probably by taking out the two shelves which looked as though it gained a good few inches height and a fair few ltrs.

So what escalated, well test drive booked for tomorrow, sales rep said he’d drive just to let me get an idea of how it runs, and, can be ordered and with me in around two weeks lol. Not fussed on how long it takes tbh but will order tomorrow as I’m afraid it may disappear tbh.

1. Problem, I can’t get at my award letter as its buried in a shipping container in lock up, moved house and after phoning DWP they say it can take up to two weeks to be sent out. Hoping dealer will order tomorrow if he hmms and haas I’ll offer him the ap there and then to show my commitment.

1. Good news. My defib did not go off this morning and after a long chat with my consultant she is willing to give me a letter saying that she believes that with the new medication that I should be fit to drive, although the dvla may send me to an independent medical professional for another opinion.

Fact is I stopped taking my Bisoprolol and that caused this. In the month from it fired I have not had one pvc compared to 50-150+ a day and no arrhythmias. Why didn’t I take it, well 10mg of Bisoprolol is like a elephant tranquilliser and I just couldn’t function on them tbh.

So a bit excited, which I’m not allowed to be lol. Just want to get the order in for this car. As I said, afraid of it being on the – side of wmcf’s morning updates very soon.

#146807 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Good luck. A very good choice of car with great equipment and performance too.

#146810 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

I could come up with many reasons why you shouldn’t order an electric car…. but there are so many more reasons for not ordering a fossil that I’ll not bother.

Oil companies such as Shell charge 41p/kWh, the VW/EU funded Ionity comes in at a cool 69p/kWh (I pay 58p/kWh or would if I used Ionity chargers), BP will sting you for 42p/kWh although with the freebie BP Pulse/Polar card the rates are 12p/kWh@7kW, 15p/kWh@50kW, 27p/kWh@the 77kW max you’ll get on the Kona.

Some supermarkets give free charging, often 7kW, some CCS chargers give free vends especially just after being installed.

However, the costs don’t really matter as long as they’re cheaper than petrol/diesel, but using off peak electricity from wind & solar to charge your car matters very much so enjoy reducing your carbon footprint.

#146813 Reply
    Intranicity

Wow, that did move on quickly, really pleased for you especially about the medical side of things, that must be a huge relief for your family too.

I hope you get the paperwork sorted, never know, it might arrive early… OK, maybe not.  Will be interesting to see how the test drive goes, nice to see a dealer being really helpful after the recent posts about negative experiences.  What colours are you thinking of, the Ultimate now has the option of a light grey leather as well as the standard Black.

Gothitjulie makes some great points re pricing of electricity and that’s where the planning comes in.  The EV Database (https://ev-database.uk/car/1423/Hyundai-Kona-Electric-64-kWh) is a great source for charging speeds. The Kona will refuel at the following speeds approx (How many miles range you will get in an hours charge):  This is how I look at charging options.

Granny Charger (AC) – 7mph
    Emergency or no other option

7.4kW Home charger (AC) – 24mph
    Everyday

22kW (AC) – 35mph (The Kona can only use 11kW of this)
    Many are free at supermarkets and shopping centres but quite often 7kW or less

CCS 50kW (DC) – 160mph
    BP Pulse with subscription 15p kW is great price

CCS 150kW or more (DC) – 230mph (The Kona can only use 77kW of this)
    More expensive, only use when you need the range quickly

The GoM on the Kona is really accurate, so you can safely just charge the car to cover the range you need, ie, only pay for the higher rates of electricity when you need it, on a long journey, paying to go on an Ultrafast (150kW) is more expensive, but much quicker, and you will soon get a good idea of your consumption. Aim to get home with 20% fuel left and just recharge overnight.

Initially, I would say that 65/70mph on Motorways should give you 3.5-4 miles per kW, 50mph on A roads will be 4-4.5 miles per kW and around town 5kW, but this does, as do charging speeds, vary with the weather.  It all sounds really complicated, but it soon makes sense once you start driving.

Good luck and have fun

#146842 Reply
    sif

There are lots of reasons for having an EV and that increases every month. The fact remain though that the choice of a car is largely determined for disabled motorists by what they can use. All the EVs on the scheme except for the van types with small range have small boots. That precludes most of the people who would wish an EV on motability. Until the kona e niro comes on that remains the case. Is an EV best? Undoubtedly for the vast  majority of able people. Is an Ev the best for the vast majority of disabled people? No. Problems of access, usage, access to chargers (physically) lack of infra structure if off the beaten track. Whether you have a drive or live in a flat etc etc. Why don’t motability throw Kia’s off the scheme until they add the e niro? Motability has always been a way of shifting old models and stock at a price that suits the manufacturers. Let Kia know that suitable vehicles should be on the scheme. You can absolutely bet it will be on the scheme when it suits Kia to shift old stock. Until then all this virtue signalling remains irrelevant for the bulk of disabled motorists.

#146848 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Des

Just a note on DVLA and driving licenses as I had to deal with there medical department after having a stroke in 2008.

When I reapplied for my license I had to give them the name of the consultant and my GP including permissions for DVLA to talk to them, data protection and all that jazz, so little input from yourself other than applying.

Took about 2 to 3 weeks altogether including a slight delay of a few days because my GP did not like the wording they put on the letter they sent me and my GP saying I could retain my current diving licence with no need for any driving test.

My GP was concerned that as they said I could keep my old licence without a driving test that I would not be abled to drive a car without adaption to the car and an automatic gearbox.

DVLA reply to that was “it is a standard letter” and indeed my licence had been change from “any car” to “automatics only” with adaption to controls but that’s not stated in the standard letter, though is on the license, and while a tiny hiccup was all sorted in a few days.

Good luck with the car.

#146849 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

@sif

Spot on sif.

#146857 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

There are lots of reasons for having an EV and that increases every month. The fact remain though that the choice of a car is largely determined for disabled motorists by what they can use. All the EVs on the scheme except for the van types with small range have small boots. That precludes most of the people who would wish an EV on motability. Until the kona e niro comes on that remains the case. Is an EV best? Undoubtedly for the vast majority of able people. Is an Ev the best for the vast majority of disabled people? No. Problems of access, usage, access to chargers (physically) lack of infra structure if off the beaten track. Whether you have a drive or live in a flat etc etc. Why don’t motability throw Kia’s off the scheme until they add the e niro? Motability has always been a way of shifting old models and stock at a price that suits the manufacturers. Let Kia know that suitable vehicles should be on the scheme. You can absolutely bet it will be on the scheme when it suits Kia to shift old stock. Until then all this virtue signalling remains irrelevant for the bulk of disabled motorists.

Sorry @sif, but what you suggest is just ridiculous, in the end, its up to Kia what they want to supply, I’m sure Motability get a good discount and the fact that they can sell the cars without needing a discount, then it’s up to Motability to pay the going price!  I would also love to see the e-Niro on the scheme, but suggesting you kick them off if they don’t supply it is just stupid!

There is already the MG5 (464ltr), MG ZS (448ltr) and the Nissan Leaf (435ltr) with similar if not bigger boots on the scheme!

Your beef in the end, is totally understandable, but as yet, there are very few EV’s with big boots, the e-Niro still is pretty small at 450ltr, just bigger than some of the others, but it’s a new market, with lots of vehicles in the pipeline, The Skoda Enyaq (585ltr), ID.4 (543ltr), Nissan Arriya (466ltr), Kia EV6 (520ltr) and the Hyundai Ioniq 5 (531ltr) will all be much more suitable for those that need to stow an electric scooter in the boot, but you can still get one in the Kona (320ltr) and e-2008 (405ltr)

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#146865 Reply
    Richard

I have to disagree with sif. There are a number of different sized EVs on the scheme from the Honda e, Smart cars, Mini & more also

Renault Zoe which has quite a good boot & would easily suit 2 adults & a wheelchair/scooter) 338 litres

Vauxhall ecorsa/208 again smallish but decent sized boot 309 litres

MG ZS huge boot, room for 5, high riding, easy to get out of nil or £199 on the scheme 470 litres

MG5 family huge estate EV plenty of room for 5 plus wheelchair, scooter etc. 578 litres

Nissan leaf again fair sized boot not as roomy interior & but lower as I recall not the best value 435 litres

Hyundai Kona limited rear legroom but much more room than the Zoe & Corsa boot isn’t huge but I’d not regard it as tiny boot able scooter fits in, just. 361 litres

Peugeot 2008 again good size, nice height & roomy 410 litres

Nissan NV200 7 seater loads of room (expensive) 870 litres with 7 seats

Vauxhall Vivaro elife – HUGE limited range £1249 AP 9 seats 1500 litres boot!

As for charging most chargers have lots of room around them & whilst maybe more needs to be thought of as disabled eV spaces for those permanently in wheelchairs for example charging us easier than petrol.

I knew a lady who couldn’t squeeze the pump trigger due to arthritis she now happily charges her EV.

I’m sure there are areas with poor charger availability it’s not great here in North Norfolk but as I live here & will charge at home I don’t care. Its getting better council car parks all now have at least 3 EV chargers.

Charging time sure it could be a pain but change the way you operate & it’s painless 90% of the time if you charge at home you won’t need to touch a charger out & about the rest factor breaks in for lunch etc. As a disabled person I can’t drive for more than 90 mins or so without a decent stop anyway so time that with a top up for 20-30 mins & you’re away.

Electric isn’t for everyone sure, we all get that & there does need to be more choice size wise but overall this isn’t motability’s fault it’s the manufacturers. Why is the MG5 the only estate on the scheme? Because its the only estate available for example.

If you’re happy with fossil fuels then good for you I’m pleased you’re happy & hope you continue to be but try to be a little more open minded with EVs & research what’s already available, on Motability you can go from 3 door 4 seats to 9 seats all available right now, Nevermind what’s coming over the next 12 months which will be even more amazing.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Right I’m done as that was hard work
Your information: