Replacing Tiguan in Q1 – Advice Needed Please!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #129179 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Greetings all. We are able to order my wife’s next Motability car at the end of Q1 if we wish to. Like many people, I keep an eye on the quarterly lists and have a short list of what is currently available, but as neither of our ‘perfect’ cars are on the scheme (BMW X5 or 5 Series Touring 😂) some compromises will have to be made. This is where I could do with your help to advise me regarding the current favourites.

By way of background, my wife has secondary progressive Multiple Sclerosis and is now a full time wheelchair user. She cannot stand unaided and use of her legs is limited to dragging them a foot or two. Our current car is a VW Tiguan 2.0TDi 190PS DSG Auto in SEL trim, with quite a few extras. We have had four Tiguans as they seem to tick most boxes, but I find them functional rather than exciting. My wife used to drive (with hand controls) but has now stopped, so I will be the sole driver. Unfortunately I have had a lot of BMW’s over the years and know how much better they are in terms of refinement, performance, economy and functionality, but the X1 underwhelmed us when we were looking last time as it felt very much like the budget end of the BMW range.

Anyway, here’s our current shortlist along with my concerns / questions which I would really appreciate your thoughts on;

1) BMW 320i Sport Touring. Of all the cars currently on the scheme, this is the only one that really appeals to me, but my concerns relate to some practical matters. We are now used to SUV’s with the higher seating position and this is the only car in our short list that isn’t one. My first question is for wheelchair users or those who ‘pilot’ them. How do you find getting in and out of a car versus an SUV? Is it easier or harder for wheelchair users with leg issues? My second question relates to the seats. Much as I love BMW’s, I have never liked their sports seats as they are too hard and the side bolsters too rigid (I have sciatica). However, last year I drove a new 5 series M-Sport Touring and the sports seats were superb. Flatter and far more comfortable. From photos, the latest sports seats on the new 3 series look very similar to those on the 5 series. How are owners of the new 3 series sport finding them compare to the sports seats of old? Also, what sort of mpg are you getting?

2) BMW X1 2.0i X-Line 4WD Auto. I was keen on getting an X1 last time as I think they look lovely and I really like BMW’s, but as I mentioned earlier we were both underwhelmed. It felt a lot smaller than the Tiguan but the seats were dreadful (very small and lacking support) and it felt quite low rent compared to all the BMW’s I had driven previously. It also lacked things that I am very used to such as Auto-Hold and that wasn’t even an option. I believe that a mild facelift has happened since we last looked at it and the seats have changed. How do drivers of newer X-Line models find the seats? Also, what sort of MPG are you getting?

3) VW Tiguan 2.0TSi 190PS 4Motion DSG Auto.  We are both now retired so don’t do the mileage that we used to. On that basis, if we got another Tiguan we could alleviate one of the issues of our current car (the lack of refinement) by considering a petrol version. Prior to the facelift we would have gone for the R-Line next time but for reasons best known to VW they have removed tons of kit from it whereas the new Elegance is far better equipped as standard. I don’t like the plastic skirts on non-R Line models, but neither do I like the 1980’s style check seat design on the R-Line, so with the thousands of pounds worth of extra kit as standard the Elegance becomes a no brainer. Two questions. The facelift version seems to have a very low boot floor unless you spec a spare wheel at extra cost. This is a retrograde step from the current model where you can set the boot floor flat. Will this make loading and unloading the wheelchair difficult? Also, how do drivers of  the 2.0TSi Tiguan find it performance and mpg wise?

4) Ford Kuga 2.0TDi 190PS ST-Line X 4WD Auto. My daughter has a Focus and I love driving it. I also had Ford Scorpios years ago, including a Cosworth one, so like fast Fords and big comfortable ones. I don’t have any specific concerns or questions (other than the fact that this is the sole diesel on my shortlist) but would love to know if anyone on here has the new model and how they are finding it.

5) Volvo XC40 2.0 B4 P Inscription Pro 2WD Auto. I have a feeling that this car will be too small for us (particularly the boot for the wheelchair, as I only remove the footrests and fold it in half) and I really dislike the rear of the car (as I do the rear of all current Volvos) but I am conscious that they make superb seats and I once had a Volvo 850 estate many years ago as a temporary car whilst waiting for a new Ford Scorpio and had I driven it before I might well have gone for that instead. How are current owners finding the XC40?

Apologies that this is an epic post in terms of length, but I know that you are a friendly and knowledgeable bunch and I look forward to your thoughts.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #129183 Reply
    rox
    Participant

I do feel sometimes no car is perfect and often to get what is essential for your needs, a trade off sometimes needs to be made. I would suggest test driving all the cars that meet the criteria you have setout.

The last two times i went for a lower car as i now need an automatic, adaptive cruise and a comfortable seat and a boot big enough for a family of 4 was 5 of us until 2017 (sadly my eldest son died) and it has changeD my view on things, some practicalities are not as important as they were and now it’s more about enjoyment, but look whatever car is chosen it is still needs to be useable.

I find getting in and out of any car painful so really for me it comes down to how it is when i am in it and how it drives, when i decide too and not use the acc and could not do without acc now as i use it 95% of the time. Bmw charge extra for it as part of a pack as do volvo and imo thats not an option on top of the ap for me. So i try to find one that suits my needs that everything is a standard, this time that meant no heated seats.

Deffo the new tig is not as good a deal imo as it was and who knows what ap’s will be in jan. I would suggest from the cars that i did have that had cheap non colour coded bumpers / trim was to get a black or grey car as then imo it don’t look so bad as say on a white car.

#129190 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Thanks Rox. I agree that test drives are the best way, but it’s just not that practical at present. I think I could get away with it in a few months time (as we can order from the end of March) but for now I’m just keen to hear how those who are currently running our shortlisted cars are finding them, especially if they are wheelchair users.

I know that, without doubt, the 3 Series Touring will be the best car for me out of my shortlist and the others don’t even come close to it IMO, but if my wife struggles to get in and out of it then it will have to be eliminated, hence why I have four SUV’s on the list.

I agree with your comments about colours on the Tiguan. That’s why we chose grey as it makes the plastic skirts invisible. The R-Line looks stunning in white but white on other Tiguans makes them look like the bargain basement models due to the grey plastic – even on the SEL. As for value, I would agree that the new R-Line is now very poor value compared to the Elegance, but if the 2.0TSi 190PS Elegance 4WD Auto turns out to be £2,499 (as predicted) then that’s an awful lot of car for the money. I added quite a few options on our 2018 SEL that are now standard on the new Elegance (but not on the R-Line). If the 3 Series doesn’t work for my wife I can see us getting this but, as I said previously, as a car lover who has owned dozens of nice cars and driven hundreds of different cars of most makes and models, the Tiguan just does nothing for me!

#129206 Reply
    Tim

3) I have a Tiguan Elegance 1.5tsi DSG and it’s as you say a no brainer. I couldn’t order the R-line with less function. Load lip hasn’t been an issue here. I believe you can still order the vario-floor or whatever they call it, as the slot points are in the boot ready for the adjustable floor. As you already have a Tiguan SEL 2016+ you might try and place your vario floor in the new tiguan and see if it does indeed match.

Having the extra room VS the spare tyre £215 extra made sense to me, and having only 1 flat, on the drive at home in 3 years made the decision easier.

It’s not the most exciting drive in the world but it does have a lot of features and practicality for the AP. I find it more exciting, and a firmer ride than the Karoq SEL it replaced. Currently £445 off at Vertu Hereford for in stock vehicles too. I wonder if January will see the AP increase?

#129208 Reply
    Markymate
    Participant

Hi Glos Guy, good to see you back.

I recently test drove the new Tiquan R-Line, want the Elegance but they didn’t have one available.  I did post a short review with some pictures.  The boot floor is very deep and I could see many people having trouble getting anything out let alone a wheelchair. If you want a level floor it’ll cost you £215 and comes with a spare wheel which then takes up all that space. Really poor design if you ask me.  I was amazed at how much kit the R-Line had lost and would certainly chose the Elegance every time.

The 1.5TSi engine had more than enough pull in my opinion and the ride was very comfortable, but I should imagine you’ll be looking towards the 2.0TSi as I remember your 5 series beamer.  But definitely petrol if you’re only doing limited mileage now.

Good luck in your search.

#129224 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi Glos Guy, good to see you back. I recently test drove the new Tiquan R-Line, want the Elegance but they didn’t have one available. I did post a short review with some pictures. The boot floor is very deep and I could see many people having trouble getting anything out let alone a wheelchair. If you want a level floor it’ll cost you £215 and comes with a spare wheel which then takes up all that space. Really poor design if you ask me. I was amazed at how much kit the R-Line had lost and would certainly chose the Elegance every time. The 1.5TSi engine had more than enough pull in my opinion and the ride was very comfortable, but I should imagine you’ll be looking towards the 2.0TSi as I remember your 5 series beamer. But definitely petrol if you’re only doing limited mileage now. Good luck in your search.

Thanks Markymate. I’ve read your review and it was excellent. Thanks for posting it. If it wasn’t for the wheelchair, I’d actually like the deeper boot, but having to lift the wheelchair up and out could be a problem. The only option I would have considered adding to an Elegance would have been the Harmon Karden sound system, but I was put off as it’s almost £1k as you have to have the spare wheel as well, but it sounds as though we might need the spare wheel anyway to get a flat load floor. We are probably around 10k miles a year now. I like diesels for the torque, but my wife is keen that we move to petrol next time and I’m hoping it will be a lot quieter than our current diesel Tiguan, which is very noisy compared to the sublime BMW diesels.

#129225 Reply
    Cooperman

Hi there guys

I have had a tiguan r line now for 2 years and 8 months.

My wife has primary progressive ms and uses wheelchair

I have seen the new tiguan and agree that the elegance is the best choice the r line looks good but a bit sparse inside

I  was looking for something a bit lower than a tiguan as my wife now struggles to climb in and has to half jump out

I would have had a passat but that ship passed

Also Honda civic sport 180bhp gone

Also honda crv shows up on mobility but in reality you cannot order anymore due to new gov regs in jan

The one surprise is that I looked at a skoda Octavia sel.better than the new golf

More room more kit as standard

Full leather upgrade 300

Upgrade alloys 300

I have to choose in q4 so struggling to find a stand out choice

I have 2.o diesel and have averaged about 40 mpg over 37000 miles mainly town driving

Still hoping that Passat comes back

#129229 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Glos Guy. It may be worth looking at the Superb if space is an issue. I’ve had two; a Dieselgate 4×4 and a 230-ish bhp petrol 2wd. Both amazingly comfy and the petrol one was a fantastic drive. The VAG 2L petrol is a very good engine when putting out around 200bhp. Sadly the decent engines are not available now on the Skodas. So, if other issues allow, I reckon the 2L petrol Tiguan could be a very good choice. (Much as I dislike SUVs and their high-entry problems, I’d be well tempted if renewing now.)

#129422 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy. It may be worth looking at the Superb if space is an issue. I’ve had two; a Dieselgate 4×4 and a 230-ish bhp petrol 2wd. Both amazingly comfy and the petrol one was a fantastic drive. The VAG 2L petrol is a very good engine when putting out around 200bhp. Sadly the decent engines are not available now on the Skodas. So, if other issues allow, I reckon the 2L petrol Tiguan could be a very good choice. (Much as I dislike SUVs and their high-entry problems, I’d be well tempted if renewing now.)

Thanks Tharg. My wife has an absolute block over Skodas. We are of an age where their cars were so bad that they were the butt of jokes (e.g. what do you call a Skoda with a sunroof? Skip). I’ve explained that they are now excellent cars and effectively just slightly budget VW’s, but she doesn’t get it. That being said, she hates all French cars as well, but that’s just on principal 😂. The Superb is indeed a great car. It’s cavernous and well equipped, but I’d want the SE-L with a 2.0 engine to even consider it and even then I would much rather have the much smaller BMW 3 Series Touring if something lower than an SUV is an option for us.

Surprised that I‘ve had so few answers to all my questions, given the number of very knowledgeable posters on this site, but many thanks to those who have posted so far. Keep them coming!

#129423 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Glos Guy. Am from the same bad-joke Skoda generation as you. However, when I needed a car of the Superb type, I test drove everything in sight. Passats, Big Vauxhalls, already dismissed the Mondeo (had one. Useless). The Superb just stood out as miles better than any of them. Smooth as silk on the road. Pretty quick (with dieselgate or 2L petrol.) Comfy as a good living room, Space for everything. Pity Mrs Glos Guy is against them. Although, the models on scheme now seem pretty underpowered. Reckon. given your needs, the 3-series is best way to go. Renewed my Motability car in March this year. If the 3-series had been on list then, I’d have had it; no question. Choice came down to Alfa Giulia and Mini Cooper S. Couldn’t bear to watch the Alfa sitting virtually unused on the drive (don’t drive very far now) and went for Mini – the maddest shopping trolley ever.

#129424 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy. Am from the same bad-joke Skoda generation as you. However, when I needed a car of the Superb type, I test drove everything in sight. Passats, Big Vauxhalls, already dismissed the Mondeo (had one. Useless). The Superb just stood out as miles better than any of them. Smooth as silk on the road. Pretty quick (with dieselgate or 2L petrol.) Comfy as a good living room, Space for everything. Pity Mrs Glos Guy is against them. Although, the models on scheme now seem pretty underpowered. Reckon. given your needs, the 3-series is best way to go. Renewed my Motability car in March this year. If the 3-series had been on list then, I’d have had it; no question. Choice came down to Alfa Giulia and Mini Cooper S. Couldn’t bear to watch the Alfa sitting virtually unused on the drive (don’t drive very far now) and went for Mini – the maddest shopping trolley ever.

Yes, if the car was just for me, of those available on the scheme at present it would be the 3 Series Touring. I’ve had 3 of them over the years (320d’s) and they were only bettered by my beloved 5 Series that I sold at the beginning of this year, as we no longer needed two cars given that we are now retired and my wife no longer drives. The sole issue will be whether or not my wife can get in and out of it OK. That’s why I’m so keen to hear from wheelchair users on how they find transferring to / from a normal car compared to an SUV. We will find out for ourselves when we go and look at the cars early next year, but I’m impatient!

#129425 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

I just had to return Seat Tarraco, following the loss of my wife. Due to logistical red tape they couldn’t swap the car from her PIP to my  war pension. So i have  had to go through the selection of cars for the second time this year.

I decided to order the Kuga ST Line X AWD as per your list. I have added some extras, as I like my technology and gadgets. Hopefully here beginning January.

Had a Superb 4×4 estate that was lovely, but just to low for me to get in and out comfortably now.

Cars On Motability
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Vauxhall Antara
    Skoda Superb Estate
    Seat Alhambra
    Seat Tarraco
    Ford Kuga

#129427 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I just had to return Seat Tarraco, following the loss of my wife. Due to logistical red tape they couldn’t swap the car from her PIP to my war pension. So i have had to go through the selection of cars for the second time this year. I decided to order the Kuga ST Line X AWD as per your list. I have added some extras, as I like my technology and gadgets. Hopefully here beginning January. Had a Superb 4×4 estate that was lovely, but just to low for me to get in and out comfortably now.

Hi HoneyMonster. I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. I suspect that you could have done without the aggro of changing cars as well as everything else that you have undoubtedly been dealing with. I shall very much look forward to hearing how you get on with the Kuga once you get it.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Replacing Tiguan in Q1 – Advice Needed Please!
Your information: