Real life fuel consumption from real owners

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Moody 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #76619 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I have been using Honest John fuel comparison site, but it is far from perfect, I have found a site called ‘fuelly’  every time an owner fills up they input their data, hope this helps.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Oscarmax.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #76625 Reply

joss
    Participant

fuelly

added the link for you Oscarmax

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#76650 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Cheers Joss was not sure whether to give a link to the site?

The new  2019 2.4 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV owner are showing some very good results, the new 2019 Toyota RAV4 hybrid showing consistent 50 mpg mark, which a good saving on diesel competitors petrol being cheaper plus no adblue to worry about, VW Tiguan 150 dsg 2wd around the 42 mpg and the Ford Kuga 2.0 150 diesel powershift 38 mpg which is about spot on for our Kuga.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#76657 Reply

alan astwood

Not sure if these sites use dash readings for mpg figures or brim to brim fill which depending on vehicle can be somewhat different,in my case toyota c-hr hybrid just over 3000 miles travelled dash reading shows 63.4 mpg , but checking  brim to brim fill comes out at 57.6 (still very good but not reliable if relying on computer reading)

#76660 Reply

Philjb

Computer reading are always the stuff of fairy tails, our last family car a be touran would always say 50+mpg at any speed once the fuel light came on. All on its own?

When usually it only did about 44 driven exactly the same roads the average same speeds.

Plus isn’t that a yank site?

This new car of ours is a bluemotiom ? Not sure what that does.

Buy on the road test i watched the same car averaged 55mpg on test. Not bad for a big heavy suv.

#76662 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Here lies the problems, the Speedo car be as much as 10% out, plus the fuel dash again could be another 10% out.

It is more accurate to measure fuel brim to brim, however you need to take into account the 10% speedo discrepancy .

Yes it is an American site however some participates are from Europe and the UK.

#76673 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

While the speedo may be out by a bit, the odometer is usually more accurate.

Brim to brim, over 18,500 miles, my S-Max 2.0 180 powershift gets 41.9mpg & that’s not sparing the horses.

The way people drive can really affect mileage. Hybrid owners tend to baby their cars, I know, as I pass so many all doing 60 in a 70 on the way home from work. My average mpg would rise considerably if I did the same. Currently the best results for hybrid would be in towns where stop start kills mpg in normal cars.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#76677 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Looking at all the Alhambra 184 dsg results they seem in line with the crappy 30mpg I get from mine and 80%+ of my driving is at 70mph on cruise, if I reduce that to 65 or even 60 it gets worse, only starts to improve once it drops to around 50(long average speed sections etc).

VAG Offical figures say about 52mpg, liar liar pants on fire!

#76736 Reply

Philjb

We tested the sharan 1.4 petrol Dsg on 48hr loan and couldn’t even get 24mpg it was that bad I got out and also got my son to smell for a petrol leak.

We never made it to 70 without kick down, our current regularly shows mid to high 50s mpg. On a long motorway run

A real world 52-55mpg that’s min 10mpg better then our last diesel.

#76738 Reply

Rico
    Participant

I have had the 2wd tiguan R-Line 2.0 tdi for a couple of weeks and brim to brim I have managed 49mpg from it (claimed is in the 50s). but I am super stoked about it, as its a diesel I dont expect to get near claimed until after 5000 miles when the engine is broken in properly. I could do a dance coming from a car that only done 30-33 mpg 😉

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Rico.
    #76745 Reply

Philjb

Ours is up around 9000 since jan, especially in London the stop start helps a lot.

But a motorway blast down to Cornwall or up to relatives up north it just seems to get better.

#76759 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Mine still has the older generation 6 speed DSG and it’s a stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid excuse for a gearbox, coupled with the dumbest traction control and stop start that actually stops the engine as you put your foot on the gas to set off and the sticking in gear on the rev limiter until you take your foot completely off the pedal and back on to change up, not exactly condusive to economical driving.

#76762 Reply

Michael Seignot

Last weekend did a trip from South West Wales to Manchester return, plus drives to Bury and Macclesfield while there.  Drove at speed limits everywhere except motorways, where I drove at 78mph on cruise control.

Toyota Rav4 Hybrid 2017 – Brim to brim – 50.2 mpg.

That’ll do me nicely.  No babying, no driving slowly.

And that’s not a one off as I had a similar result while away the weekend before.  The most I have achieved is 51.7 last year in the summer.  In the winter there is a drop in mpg, but the lowest I get is 40 mpg.

#76766 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Last weekend did a trip from South West Wales to Manchester return, plus drives to Bury and Macclesfield while there. Drove at speed limits everywhere except motorways, where I drove at 78mph on cruise control. Toyota Rav4 Hybrid 2017 – Brim to brim – 50.2 mpg. That’ll do me nicely. No babying, no driving slowly. And that’s not a one off as I had a similar result while away the weekend before. The most I have achieved is 51.7 last year in the summer. In the winter there is a drop in mpg, but the lowest I get is 40 mpg.

That falls into line with other Fuelly owners but the later 2019 model. Good special awareness and judgement will always improve gas mileage, well done.

I would really love for someone on this site to give some feedback on the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

#76811 Reply

wonky

Hi Vinalspin,  I have a 17 plate Alhambra 150 bhp dsg SE lux.  Is it same gearbox as yours?

Is there a better dsg box used by VW group?  Do you know which vehicles have a better box?

What will you change to ?

I suppose you know the present SE lux Alhambra doesn’t have pan roof, not sure about leather, but it keeps electrics.  I agree with your comments about roof and leather comfort.

You may recall I want to change vehicle and ordered a Touran 1.5 petrol but rejected it after testing. So am back looking for a large diesel auto.

I value your tech input and hope you don’t mind me picking your brain.

Regards, wonky

#76815 Reply

SaintsMan

592 miles from Cambridgeshire to Rothenfels in Bavaria on one tank with some left, including Cologne to Frankfurt at or around 110mph on a clear evening, works out at somewhere near 48mpg. BMW 218d Gran Tourer.

#76829 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

I have the 7 speed dsg in my Golf and had in my other 2 Golfs superb gearbox very economical

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#76836 Reply

wonky

Hi Mike 11,  mine is the 6 speed auto same as Vinalspin has in his. Maybe the 7 speed is better. Do you know if they use them in the larger VW group vehicles or is it just golf?

Regards, wonky

#76837 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

I had the 6 speed VW DSG box in my first Motability car, Golf 1.9 TDi and never had any problems with then I moved on to a Seat 1.6 TDi with the 7 speed DSG and on again to a Golf 1.4 TSi with 7 speed and no problems.

I’m now driving a KIA with DSG 7 speed and find it on par with the VW versions however with the KIA I have some little niggles about how Stop/Start works with the DSG box that I never came across with the Golf 1.4 TSi that also had stop/start?

Imagine I’m going to parallel park on an uphill road so has an incline so I come to a stop and select “R” in the DSG and take my foot of the brake but meanwhile the S/S has engaged and I’m now starting to coast backwards and the car is sending out an alarm for me to start the engine and stop coasting. By now I’m talking to myself and saying to the car “but its not me who who turn off the engine you cretin” and have to jump on the brake again and release and the engine burst into life again.

Never had that problem with the Golf’s S/S DSG combination so think its just a software timing thing that can be easily fixed in the KIA but who am I to say.

Overall though I would never move away from DSG simply because being a manual gearbox with two auto clutches it returns similar MPG results to that of a bog standard manual box.

Why VW still use the 6 box I don’t know or understand but back 10 years ago I just thought it was to select a model of car to be rid of the old stock and when there gone put 7 speeds in everything but after all this time they must be still making the 6 box for some technical reason.

#76842 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

All cars have their idiosyncrasies I think.

My S-Max’s powershift is great, no issues at all, but the stop start is pants as it has fully hydraulic power steering, so the car stops as it should, but, on re-starts, you go to move off, but the hydraulics are not up to pressure yet, feels very weird. Not a huge issue, I switch it off in any case.

On my Picasso, it was the strange combo of stop-start and the hill hold assist, both worked perfectly fine in isolation, but, if you stopped on a hill, the stop start to in gear motion was slower than the hill hold, so you got roll-back. Again, cured by switching off the stop-start.

#76843 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

Back to mpg…my car is in for its 18,000 mile service today. Got a Ford Ka+ Zetec manual as a courtesy car. Checked the fuel computer, 3,400 miles without reset, currently showing 41.7mpg from a 1.2 petrol.

#76847 Reply

Trev

Finally found a uk Mazda CX-5 in the same fuel / trim as mine and it’s been reported by one user with an mpg of 37.4, which is pretty accurrate to my 40mpg i’ve average since new 7 months ago.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#76901 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Hi Wonky, I’m not sure if they use the new 7 speed dsg in the latest Alhambra/Sharan but it has to be better than this one.

I personally will never have another VAG group car after this one.

I did like the 5008 I test drove, the diesel engine is not as powerful as mine but at no point did it feel lacklustre in the performance dept + it returns excellent mpg and has loads of torque, downsides are the huge AP’s they’re asking and the ridiculous waiting times.

Absolutely loved the C5 Aircross but not 7 seats.

The Citroen Space Tourer (Grand Picasso) I’ve always liked, very good all round but they’ve hiked up the AP’s on these now also.

The New Berlingo/Rifter LWB 7 seaters are a bargain(AP’s raised on these also but not that bad), they really do drive like a car now (way better than the last versions) and the top spec one’s have all the toys a man could need whilst driving, I know they have the “van” brush tarring them but I’m not a badge snob and I would get a car that fills my needs and not what people think.

Sorry, bit of a ramble there.

#76903 Reply

wonky

Hi Vinalspin,

Thanks for info, never thought about Berlingo, sounds like a contender.

Regards, wonky

#76919 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I actually prefer the Rifter out of the 2, looks better(my opinion) and has a nicer cabin(fact) but the way they have specced them up is better on the pug, downside, more money!

One thing I like about these 2 is the ability to remove the 2 rearmost seats in a couple of seconds(like I used to be able to in the previous model’s 3 2nd row seats) which leaves a perfectly flat floor and loads of headroom in the boot and also a way lower loading height.

#76930 Reply

Georgie

I went for a little 170 mile drive ‘around and about’ yesterday afternoon and my Average Fuel Consumption was 52.6 mpg, and I don’t dawdle.  That was on a mix of Town, Duel Carriage Way and many, many beautiful country Roman Roads.  I was well chuffed.

Set out for Avebury, ended up in Salisbury (Curse you, Tot Hill junction!)

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Real life fuel consumption from real owners

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: