RAV4 – whats it like to drive?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Philjb 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #78846 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

In recent days after much thinking ( the pros and cons of each) on whether to go with the Tiguan R line Tech or the Toyota RAV4 Excel, aM 99.% sure I am going with the RAV4 as I felt it was a better ride, and easier to get in and out.

As I have adaptions am unable to test drive them myself, as anyone drove the RAV4 if so, your thoughts would be much appreciated 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #78848 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I popped into the Toyota dealers the other day they let me sit in and look around the RAV4 even though I have 12 months to go, nice to be treated so well, nice car.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#78849 Reply
    Carmad

I haven’t driven it either but, like yourself found it very easy to get in and out.  I especially appreciated the grab handle on the inside of the door; the rubber texture really helped get a good, solid, grip giving me a lot of confidence in my safe entry & exit.

Looking forward to more posts ?

#78855 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I have to add it looks a lot better in the flesh competed to online and yes the interior is very pleasant and comfortable. But for me the driving position is most important like my old golf mk1 gti and Audi A4 S Line everything falls to hand. I have drive Toyota CVT transmission before you need to change your driving style not just floor the throttle, just a progressive squeeze, you have to remember the engine is now a power generator supplying electric motors.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#78856 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

I’ve not seen one on the road yet is there a waiting list ? I’ve read a 12 month waiting list for the Suzuki Jimney

I like Magnums....

#78857 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

My local dealer I have seen gave a precise time frame of between 24th Oct to 8th Nov, other dealers also gave the same time frame end of Oct , start of Nov

#78915 Reply
    mzmps
    Participant

myself33,

First have to agree with Oscarmax, looks a lot better in the flesh.

Went for test drive today, was in the Design spec, 2wd. If you do not floor it very quiet, did a few miles twisty roads, plenty of up and down as well, did not feel like a boat, but not too hard either, though it is not the kind of vehicle you’re going to be driving really hard anyway. There was plenty of power, the smallest lift and brake, the car is putting energy back into the battery, did have someone walk out in front of it off the kerb, they were not young so think they forgot their green cross code, because they didn’t hear it coming never looked.

Plenty of helpful elements, well for me at least, though one element I cleared up, was the tailgate will go up and down by using the keyfob, when using a wheelchair a good function, as can put things in the boot and then shut it, on your own, apparently some do not close using the key. Say this as person in Citroen showroom thought the C5 didn’t, been today and it does.

Seating, I found the seat although not the most sculpted out there, still gave me plenty of support, there was plenty of adjustment as well. I’m 5’9″ to give you an idea. The dials, were nice and clear from where I had the seat positioned, no blind spots on the dials to the side or the central screen, though it was nice sunny day, didn’t notice any glare on them while driving that some have said. The Design seats are manual adjustment, though they were easy to use, grades above have electric, tried these in showroom, did make the process easier, noticed the Excel had memory seats as well, in case there is more than one driver. Plenty of space in the back for passengers as well, where I had the seat space for main part of collapsible wheelchair, and cushions if used, wheels may have to go on seat usually, space under the driver seat, again how I set it up for footrests, off of wheelchair (well one I use).

The seats in the Design are cloth, which helps keep you in place a bit better than leather, when it comes to driving on the road, not that the leather would have you slipping and sliding. But when it comes to getting out not too restrictive, like some seats that seem to try and keep hold of you. The seats in the Excel have leather (artificial I think), which I did find easier for getting in and out, but again not as big a difference as other cars. The Dynamic, top grade has a cloth like insert in leather seats, and falls somewhere between the two. I was wearing jeans by the way.

Ride, was a little firmer than C5 Aircross, though I wouldn’t call it sporty, so doesn’t lean too much in corners, as said above didn’t feel boat like, neither was it too crashy over imperfections. The steering felt very light to me, but not imprecise, it goes where you steer it and with more time it would be more familiar, just not as connected to the road as I am used to. Having said that, it is not as tiring as heavy steering that lets you feel every little stone in the tarmac.

View, I found the view out of the car very good, helped by the higher driving position, the rear view and side mirrors also  gave a reasonable to good view. The backup camera was very clear and certainly helps, the bonnet is quite big and high though, so front sensors I would say are needed more than on other cars types.

Overall, was very impressed, not the most engaging drive I’ve ever had, but then again that’s  not what I would be buying it for. I would say basically from the drive I had and my expectations, that it is a taller vehicle which makes it easier to get in and out of, that I was driving as I would normally, not boy racer, nor driving Miss Daisy. It did not feel that big, on the road despite how it fills the floor space it occupies, overall very nice car, with a big plus being that having a battery and electric motor to assist, mpg could be very good for a vehicle that size.

How things would change in winter conditions, with high winds and rain lashing down is a different thing, all the above is from a drive on a nice sunny day.

#78922 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I use a American site called ‘Fuelly’ you convert us to uk gallons, owners are reporting fuel consumption 47 -51 mpg some of the reading are in North American in January/February.

#78925 Reply
    Macca

I viewed one for a second time recently. It was actually the sales managers company car and so being used daily. I was able to see that he was getting 46.6mpg (on the fuel computer at least)

#78932 Reply
    Philjb

Of all the Suv’s It feels a little more wallows and the cvt gearbox can feel odd and get confused especially down hill,

but the interior space is pretty good.

I don’t like the styling myself and tbh if it was getting 46 mpg that’s pretty average these days.

Id recommend trying lots of different large suv’s Your self and see if it suits your driving style?

lots of folk can’t get on with a cvt gearbox. Others find them fine.

#78936 Reply
    SaintsMan

46mpg + for a larger petrol SUV is better than average.

#78937 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

Many thanks, mzmps for your detailed review and everyone else for your input. My local dealer took me on another drive today, and as before,  I was very pleased with the ride comfort and ease of getting in and out.

On the 2o min journey, the dealer got 55 mpg , personally, I have not driven a cvt before but assume i would easily get used to how they drive best.

Going to see the VW Tiguan tomorrow again ( JCT 600 Newark also doing £600 cashback) and place an order for one of them , such a hard decision, given they are both very good cars.

#78944 Reply
    Philjb

Saints man maybe for a petrol but there are others that do at least another 10 mpg 15 mpg and aren’t petrol.

Plus they have better Ap’s and more kit as standard.

Thats why I said to drive as many yourself to see if it suits you. ?

#78958 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

Is the Rav 4 keyless standard ?

I like Magnums....

#78962 Reply
    mzmps
    Participant

Design and above have keyless and push button start.

#78969 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

That’s great cheers

I like Magnums....

#78992 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

Having seen the Tiguan again this morning, I have gone for the RAV4, both great vehicles, but for me, the RAV4 was easier to get in and out off, and a more comfortable ride.

#78998 Reply
    Macca

Sounds good, what was your chosen spec?

#78999 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

I went with the Excel version over the Dynamic, as I wanted the heated steering wheel , which is not on Dynamic

#79003 Reply
    Macca

Belter, its a cracking spec, what colour took your fancy. Was it the stormtrooper white …. 

#79015 Reply
    Adam

Another RAV4 ordered, roll on November!

adam

#79018 Reply
    Philjb

well done glad you found something suitable for you.

Hopefully by then the fuel prices will have come down too.

Mind you I spend a fraction of what I used to before my children had to take over most of the driving. ☹️

#79023 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

After a lot of ” toing and froing ” I decided on the Decuma Grey.

I must say the service I have been given by Ed at Listers in  Lincoln, has been just amazing, he has been so accommodating and understanding and nothing is to much trouble, an absolute credit to his employer and the Motability scheme. The scheme needs more people like Ed.  🙂

When the order was placed today the system gave an expected delivery date of between Nov 27 th to Dec 17th, well worth the wait tho in my view.

#79032 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

I’ve still not saw one on the road yet does look lovely on the advert I’d want keyless and boot opener etc

I like Magnums....

#79260 Reply
    myself33
    Participant

I have just seen my dealer who informed me my RAV4 has been put back till March next year for delivery, I said I may cancel if another car comes on the scheme that is suitable next quarter.

The dealer says it may be that the RAV4 gets pulled off the scheme that at end of this quarter, as the cannot get the vehicle in the normal timeframe of 3 months or so

#79264 Reply
    mzmps
    Participant

Myself33,

Was thinking of ordering the same car, but in silver. If it going to be delayed that long, definitely going to make it hard to tick that box.

Had my choice down to three, now looking like two.

Mike11,

Design and above have, keyless entry and start, design and above also power boot opening, which can be done on the boot lid itself or open and close on the key. Think you can set how wide it opens as well, for if you have limited space, or just don’t need full opening for your needs.

If as Myself, says the delays are going to be that long, Motability as option on RAV4 may disappear, I think delays that long would put off private purchasers as well. Maybe a lot of business owners, looking at it as BIK is lower on this than many, similar to why Outlander was so popular.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
Reply To: RAV4 – whats it like to drive?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: