Range anxiety a thing of the past?

• Creator
    Topic
    Daf

Lucid have just announced their new battery range for their “Air” model is 517 miles.

In itself whilst impressive I personally think 300 miles is more than adequate. However Lucid have stated they have produced a battery that not only increases range but is also lighter and more efficient than current technology. Hopefully that means the technology will trickle down to their less expensive models.

Tesla are announcing the launch of their new battery on 01/09/20. What’s the betting it will be greater than 517?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies

Daf that is great news I’m all for this

martinod
        Participant

i just looked up the price to see if it might come on. oh how i laugh i think it said

£100 thousand   , so that’s that then

rox
          Participant

Might be good for an executive car service to ferry around bbc staff to work and back home again for a 12 hr shift. Well beyond the reach of alot of people and certainly the scheme. The trickle down thing is a myth imo often car makers restrict models to not devalue other higher value ones. Especally in the power stakes. Can a polo gti have better specs than the golf gti. not a chance..They will not allow it.

Maybe 2nd gen tech does but not first gen tech. Vw and audi keep that for themselves and skodi and seat get 2nd gen tech.

BionicRusty
            Participant

i just looked up the price to see if it might come on. oh how i laugh i think it said £100 thousand , so that’s that then

I have a cunning plan @martino!

What if three of us pool together and share the same one?
              I’ll dibs in. 😂🤣

If car prices keep going up but the current Motability cap stays as is, perhaps they’ll allow it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
              Gotta stay hopeful eh? 😂

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

Tharg

Silly price and ridiculous performance but quite a nice bit of design. Looks almost as futuristic and the (original) Citroen DS. Very art deco but could do with a bit more restraint at the front end and lose those aggressive chunky wheels. Smoother, please…

Daf

It’s the technological breakthrough that is the important part of this story. Trickle down certainly does happen and I’m old and ugly enough to remember that it was only Rolls Royce and Bentley etc that had tech like air conditioning, electric windows etc.

Dont forget Tesla’s first model was the Model S the top model of which in 2012 retailed for $100,000. But it has led to the X & Y.

The rumour is that the Tesla announcement in September will make 500+ miles look modest. We live in interesting times.

Philjb

<p style=”text-align: left;”>For me even with 500 miles plus range the current lack of charging stations would still put me off.</p>

Philjb

Anyway it will be at least another 20 years before this tech becomes cheap enough to get as low as the scheme cap.
                      By then we may have even moved away from environmentally harmful  batteries.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.