Questions for those who’ve had Europcar hire cars.

• Creator
    Topic
    Doughnut
    Participant

A couple of questions for those who’ve had Europcar hire cars whilst your Motability car was off the road.

• If you had the car delivered to, and collected from your home, were you charged?
      • If the car was collected or returned without a full tank fuel, how much were your charged?
      • When the car was returned or collected, did you receive any documentation at that point in time to say the car was fine or damage was noted?

I’ll explain more later, but I’m specifically interested in the above scenarios if anyone wants to contribute.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Peedyex
      Participant

Had a car delivered last year without charge.

Cannot help with other questions – can’t remember!

Jojoe
        Participant

Cars are usually delivered free of charge. Used them twice and been charged twice for extra fuel, wrongly on both occasions. The needle was between the last line and full, driver said he would make a note. Handed it it back in the same position and was charged around £25. Happened twice, my advice, reject the car if not full or ask for a note and make sure they see the note when the car is returned. I got the money back in both occasions but it took a few emails.

kezo
          Participant

Always take photo’s of the vehicle incl the interior and fuel guage level both at collection and return of the vehicle.

Glos Guy
            Participant

Like others, I have never been charged for a home delivery. As we live quite a distance from the nearest Europcar centre, cars never arrive with a completely full tank, so I ensure that is noted accurately. I’ve always returned the car with the same amount of fuel as there was on delivery, as the rate that Europcar charge is excessive. The last car we had (a Mercedes GLB) had a large stain on the front passenger seat that wasn’t noted, so I made sure that they added it. The worry is when a car is delivered in the rain as it’s difficult to see body damage.

TheSUVguy
              Participant

Motability called me saying they’ve been told by europcar that I damaged the car, luckily I have a ring doorbell and caught the guy who delivered the car hit it on my driveway, also recorded the car before I drove it

So sent motability 3 videos, video of me recording the car recorded on ring

video of driver hitting it

video I recorded before driving it

Motability were happy with the evidence and said they’ll take it from there

Doughnut
                Participant

May I ask a few more questions .

When your hire car was returned / collected. Did you walk around it with the Europcar person and then sign a document. Were you then provided with or emailed a document called ‘collection status’ that showed images of the hire car with your signature on.

Where were the images taken of the car when it was collected. Were they taken on your driveway or outside your house in the road. Were you present at the time the images were taken or was the first you knew about it when the PDF arrived in your email box?

There is a process Europcar should follow that protects you, the hirer. If they don’t follow that process you could find yourself with a large bill. Hence the above questions.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Doughnut.
                  swwchris
                  Participant

[/quote]

May I ask a few more questions . When your hire car was returned / collected. Did you walk around it with the Europcar person and then sign a document. Were you then provided with or emailed a document called ‘collection status’ that showed images of the hire car with your signature on. Where were the images taken of the car when it was collected. Were they taken on your driveway or outside your house in the road. Were you present at the time the images were taken or was the first you knew about it when the PDF arrived in your email box? There is a process Europcar should follow that protects you, the hirer. If they don’t follow that process you could find yourself with a large bill. Hence the above questions.

I had a hire car from my local Europe Car in September last year (1 month old Mercedes), because it was raining on pick up they moved the car inside and did the walk around, photos. On return it was done outside but it was a dry day. So no problems here at all with pick up or drop off (I chose to go to them rather than delivery although it was offered free of charge)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by swwchris.
                    kezo
                    Participant

With me they have always had a pre-filled condition report they have aked me to sign. However I have always taken it upon myself to walk round filming or photographing the car and insist they mark down any damage they have missed, regardless how slight.

All the hire cars I have had, have been left at the dealers when collecting my car. I always photgraph or video the car when I park it at the dealers and now ask someone from the service dept to check the vehicle and fuel level and sign my copy Europacar form confirming the vehicle is left in the same condition as stated on the condition report. I have never had an issue with someone from the sevice dept doing this for me.

In 2017, I took Europacar to court because of damage to the off side rear/corner, they tried to blame on me. Luckily I had the evidence to prove it wasn’t me that had caused it! Since then I have always asked a member of the service dept to check on return.

They are a horrible company to deal with imo

Participant

The only time we had a Europcar, the car was delivered, I told them we needed an SUV or MPV, a Quashqai was delivered…he asked why I needed an SUV, said it was for the dog…Oh no he says, no dogs allowed in the car. I mentioned it was a guide dog, we have Motability because my wife is blind…he then reiterated NO DOGS, guide or otherwise. I got very annoyed by this, told him to take it up with Motability.

Car was left with us for our 3 day use (270 miles) & it was collected 6 days later after sitting outside our house for three days. Wife was in and gave them the key, they did a walkaround and asked her to sign the form, she refused as she is blind and could not read/see what she was signing off on. They drove off and we never heard from them again.

It was just below full when delivered (its 33 miles to their office) so I just filled it up before parking it for collection.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

Doughnut
                        Participant

They are a horrible company to deal with imo

Indeed, they are.  When I found out Europcar were the preferred hire car company used by Motability my heart sunk in despair. I had a run in with them many years ago, but that’s a story for another day.

My recent experience with Europcar highlighted how trust is misplaced when dealing with this company. I recently had issues with my Motability car, and the garage allotted the work repeatedly let me down. I needed the car to attend a series of important medical appointments, so required a replacement car. Motability were fantastic and were pro-active resolving issues as the situation was unfolding.

However, for brevity’s sake, let me skip to my experience with Europcar.

I live 65 miles from the nearest Europcar location; hence they delivered the car to me. I’m not sure if the tank was full when they left or if they filled it on the way over to me as it was showing full. During the two- week hire period I established the car would cover 70 miles before the petrol gauge moved from full. The car turned up in bright sunlight, I couldn’t walk around it with the driver due to struggling with mobility that day. The paperwork said no damage, so I had no choice but to accept that and sign.

Within 15 minutes my neighbour said he would look over it for me and take some photos. We moved it onto the shade, and he found several dents, a long scratch, a chipped windscreen and noted the inside was filthy. The time and date stamped photos were all sent to Motability within the hour, they in turn recorded all the information I had given them. Although the chip was within Europcars prescribed 1cm, had it grown during the hire period it would have come down to me.

I was asked to fill the tank up prior to Europcar collecting the car which I did. On the day of collection, the person asked me to sign a form and then drove off. There was no walk around, no signing off its condition. In fact, I didn’t have a clue what the procedure was supposed to be. 15 minutes after the car was collected, I received an email with a condition report which included the signature I gave them earlier. It contained a series of photos of the car and one of the instrument cluster. All taken at the end of my road (he had plenty of space to take them on my drive). In fact, all looked good although the report never stated if there was, or was not, any damage. If there was, my signature would have agreed with that damage.

Two days later and Europcar attempted to take over £200 from my bank card, fortunately, I had just paid all my bills and there were insufficient funds to meet Europcar’s request, so it was declined. I contacted the location who delivered and collected the car and they claimed they knew nothing about it.

Motability had the charge removed, but still no one could explain what the charge was for. I then contacted Europcar and they said it was an admin error for fuel which they removed. Only after they tried to take it from my bank.

So, the point of this thread.

·  There should be a clear outlined process that Europcar should follow (No pictures showing damage after you’ve signed any paperwork).

·  On delivery, a walk around the car with a section on the paperwork that identifies damage Europcar have failed to note. Or a period in which you can record damage before using the car (photo of mileage included).

·  Clear charging policy from Europcar and Motability regarding delivery and collection charges and who  pays for fuel between our home and Europcar’s location- if any exist.

·  On collection, an agreed damage itinerary with photos and then we sign or dispute any paperwork.

·  All these checks should be agreed by both parties, and not reactive after the event.

I’ve been made aware of many Motability customers who don’t access forums like this who have been charged and paid these many bogus charges by Europcar. It really should not be happening.

BillyTang
                          Spectator

We had one for the first time a fw weeks ago,

The  vehicle was delivered and collected to our house with out charge

The tank was full and we just topped it up before collection

Once collected we had an email containing pictures confirming there was no damage and the fuel tank was fill

hope the helps

Participant

Due to passed issues with Europcar when my late brother was alive I don’t trust them as far as I can throw them but a couple of months ago sisters car had a adblue fault this was on a Friday afternoon luckily she was near the Citroen garage so had to leave it there.

Europcar delivered a MG HS on the Saturday morning gauge was on full.

Monday morning car was fixed but we couldn’t get it back until Tuesday.

Anyway I said to my sister let’s take the hire car back to their branch in Tredegar I’ll follow you up we’ll fill it back up at the garage right around the corner from them as I don’t trust them to charge a fee just taking it from the garage in Merthyr to Tredegar even if we had filled it up in Merthyr.

over those 3 days she had it done around 100 miles 1 bar had gone out well it took 30 miles to fill it to brim.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they used the same garage to fill it up before delivering it to here so that would have been around 10 miles of fuel used.

they dealer said we could take it back there they won’t charge I said they do. I had enough dealings with them on my late brother behalf.

Current Car Citroën C4 1.2 155 EAT8 Shine Plus

Citroën Fanatic.

Doughnut
                              Participant

The responses on this thread along with my recent experience have prompted me to seek the definitive process (including any charges) when using Europcar as Motability customers. We cant be at the mercy of the delivery and collection drivers extracting signatures relating to condition before any damages have been agreed to have taken place pre- and post-delivery.

swwchris
                                Participant

The responses on this thread along with my recent experience have prompted me to seek the definitive process (including any charges) when using Europcar as Motability customers. We cant be at the mercy of the delivery and collection drivers extracting signatures relating to condition before any damages have been agreed to have taken place pre- and post-delivery.

I am unsure that the process is any different to if we were hiring privately, the only potential difficulty being related to the level of disability and being able to view all around the outside an inside of vehicle. The delivery driver or staff at pickup location will potentially always be in a rush but for me I just deal with it the same regardless of whether its a private rental or via Motability. Look round the car carefully inside and out and make sure any marks/damage are recorded, both at start of hire and end. I have only hired from Europcar twice in the last couple of years and on both occasions have had no problems (on one occasion it was raining and they moved the car inside so it could be checked). My advice is prepare yourself to be rushed but dont let it happen, take your time and the driver who will be keen to be leaving, will have to wait!!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by swwchris.
                                Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.