Q1 Pricing and information – New Motability prices 1st January 2021

• Creator
    Topic
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

With 2021 just around the corner, a ‘bobby dazzler’ of a trade deal with the EU just to be announced and Ms Truss touring the world hoovering up deals as she collects pictures of herself standing in front of flags, it seems the perfect opportunity to discuss all things Motability Q1 prices and availability.

I guess the best we can hope for is that prices don’t go up too much and not too much is knocked off the top in terms of the more expensive vehicles.

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 227 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      sif

My wife watched a youtube review intently of the kuga, she pointed out how jerky the car was. I read lots of reviews and apparently the jerkiness is very noticeable, regenerative brakes grab and make for a very poor ride. As I am already told off if I drive at anything less smooth than Miss Daisy style it wouldn’t  be for me. In every other respect it looks great, so the diesel might be the way to go. I especially liked the spring out edge protectors, very clever

wmcforum
        Which Mobility Car

Since 7am this morning the Motability search has changed from 1860 vehicles listed to 1808 and is now showing 1635.

I will give it an hour or so to settle down before counting up.

The new cars are the Hyundai i10 and i20.

PHEV’s have gone from 13 to 27 including the Merc A250e from £6499 and the Volvo XC40 PHEV from £4449.

wmcforum
          Which Mobility Car

I will start totting up based on the 1635 figure as it seems to have all the new models and correct pricing across the range. See you in about an hour!!!

Chris (Chester)

Am I reading this right this morning? Mercedes b class hybrid on the list but they want £7,500 AP???    World has gone mad….

Glos Guy
              Participant

Am I reading this right this morning? Mercedes b class hybrid on the list but they want £7,500 AP??? World has gone mad….

Across the board with the Q1 list, Hybrids seem to be carrying a massive price premium. It’s as if they are trying to deter people from getting them. If they don’t want people to have them then why offer them at silly AP’s? Can’t say I’ve ever been particularly interested in one, but surely they don’t make financial sense at these prices? Petrol or diesel variants will work out significantly cheaper to run.

Glos Guy
                Participant

Well, if ever proof was needed that the price caps are long overdue a substantial increase, we have seen an 11% reduction in the number of cars available on the scheme in just one quarter. That’s 200 less cars for people to choose from in just one month. Absolutely shocking.

Ianfca

Wow, big increases on Volvo xc40 AP’s, gone out of my price range now 🙁🙁

Southamman

I think it’s for all show.

they can say that they offered PHEVs and Battery vehicles,Mobutu the uptake was poor.

they will now only pay the cost of fitting a home charger for Battery only, not PHEVs

They get better discounts from fossil fuel cars as Hybrids are all the rage currently. They seem not to choose to reduce the AP on hybrids.

Southamman

It would be interesting to see what AP band the cars have gone from. Are £0 ap cars down?

wmcforum
                        Which Mobility Car

It would be interesting to see what AP band the cars have gone from. Are £0 ap cars down?

Nil AP Vehicles down from 230 to 207 but as a % of cars listed increased from 12.51% to 12.66%

Vinnie
                          Participant

So pleased I listened to my “witchy gene” and ordered my Volvo as soon as I could, couldn’t afford it now! Ridiculous the aps on some cars!

Happy New Year everyone.

fwippers
                            Participant

Concern is the word which first springs to mind. A reduction in the number of cars and it seems overall a price increase. No doubt there will be a small number which stand out in terms of value but the majority are now much more expensive and in some sectors, especially larger vehicles a much smaller range of cars from which to choose. I am not optimistic things will turn around in q2.

wmcforum
                              Which Mobility Car

Am I reading this right this morning? Mercedes b class hybrid on the list but they want £7,500 AP??? World has gone mad….

It is a Plug in Hybrid, incorrectly listed on the search as a petrol hybrid.

Tiny tim
                                Participant

I do not see any ford focus yet for 2021 or the Renault clio 130 rs line edc either i see the Peugeot 208 gt line 130 auto is on there and the Ford Fiesta 125 st line 7 speed auto  is now on the scheme not many sporty cars are on there anymore there is the fiat 500x sport still on there which at 148bhp is not bad and it does have a fair bit of boot space.

Glos Guy
                                  Participant

Trying to be balanced, I have now checked everything that was on my shortlist in Q4 against the Q1 list (as it stands) and concluded that, for me personally, it could have been a lot worse.

The biggest downer for me is the loss of the BMW 320i Touring as IMO that was the best car on the scheme by some margin. Thankfully the 318i Touring remains though (no change in AP), which is still a 2.0 litre albeit a bit less power. The X1 remains and the one I would get (2.0i XLine 4WD) is the same AP as in Q4.

All the Audi Q3’s that some people strangely suggested would disappear in Q1 within weeks of having joined the scheme have, as predicted, remained with no change in AP’s

The VW Tiguans all remain at the same AP’s and the 1.5 TSi Elegance is now the stand out bargain for a good sized very well equipped SUV at £1,949 albeit it’s 2WD . I am still hopeful that the 2.0TSi 190PS 4WD Elegance might appear when it launches in the UK and before we change, especially if it will only be £2,499 AP as originally intended

The Ford Kuga 2.0 190PS ST-Line X 4WD has returned and at the same AP as when it was last available.

The Honda CR-V 2.0 Hybrid 4WD in SR trim remains, albeit up by £250.

Whilst not on my shortlist, Toyota RAV-4’s, although dated and only in 2WD, are decent sized and well equipped SUV’s and remains at the same AP’s.

Although the Volvo XC40 is on my short list, I really don’t like the look of it and fear it will be too small for us, so if I selfishly had to pick one car on my list that I wouldn’t lose sleep about massive hikes in AP’s then it would be this one and, sadly, that has happened. I feel very sorry for anyone who had their heart set on this though, as the AP hikes are significant.

So, as I say, trying to be positive, from my personal and admittedly selfish perspective, it could have been a lot worse and certainly wasn’t the apocalyptic quarter that some predicted.

Southamman

So, my Superb DSG Estate has gone from £2,745 to £3.145. Glad I ordered last month
                                      Interesting,the Kodiaq SEL DSG has come down by £50

Glos Guy
                                      Participant

I will start totting up based on the 1635 figure as it seems to have all the new models and correct pricing across the range. See you in about an hour!!!

Thanks for doing all the leg work on this. Looking at the details that you provided, it’s interesting that almost half the cars lost seem to be the Ford Focus. Surely this must be an omission which will be corrected? As far as I know, I don’t believe that a new model is due?

Brydo

I would have gone for the xc40 PHEV at £4449 the journeys we do are short and perfectly suited for a PHEV. I could see us saving £2000 in fuel over three years.

I’m pretty angry as both motability and our dealer said there was no chance, or words to that effect, of it coming on the scheme.

Chris1975
                                          Participant

Sad to say but those of us using the Motability scheme find themselves in the eye of a perfect storm. The simple equation is that car prices are being driven up by inflation (normal), lack of supply (our new XC40 keeps drifting from its already long lead time of 16 weeks) due to Covid and some increases (for whatever reason) linked to Brexit.

All of that is fine but the disability payments from the government aren’t increasing at the same rate (in fact, barely increasing at all) so the cost of the part we have to meet (ie the AP) is bearing all of the brunt.

The problem then becomes that psychologically an AP doubles from, say, £2K to £4K and you feel like it’s an astronomical price increase when in fact it’s really just that the cost of the vehicle over its three year life increasing from £10k to £12K (an increase of just over fifty quid a month, still a lot but if you were sat in a dealership choosing between a base spec and the top of the range, it might not seem so bad)

I feel a bit sorry for Motability. The above factors are gradually eating into their business model and the only levers they have to pull are increasing APs or removing cars from the scheme, neither of which make their customers very happy at all.

I genuinely think this scheme now faces an existential crisis in the coming years. When we ordered (our fourth car on the scheme) our XC40 with an AP of £1,800, I weighed up the options and for the first time, could make a decent case for coming out of the scheme. We didn’t for reasons of peace of mind but it was reasonably marginal. The AP on the vehicle we ordered has just gone up to £3,200 and I’d guess if I had to pay that now and did the calculation again, the case for leaving and buying a 1-2 year old high spec car would be very compelling indeed.

With great regret, I expect our XC40 to be our last Motability car.

Glos Guy
                                            Participant

I would have gone for the xc40 PHEV at £4449 the journeys we do are short and perfectly suited for a PHEV. I could see us saving £2000 in fuel over three years. I’m pretty angry as both motability and our dealer said there was no chance, or words to that effect, of it coming on the scheme.

That is a real shame and I feel for you as I know you have always been a great advocate of alternative fuelled vehicles. Trying to look on the bright side though, would you really save that much? From the road tests I have read on PHEV cars (albeit not the XC40) the running costs are always massively more in real world driving than the often ludicrous claims. If it is something you feel strongly about though, is it worth contacting Motability and saying that you only went for the petrol version as you had been assured that the PHEV wasn’t going to come on the scheme and citing your current mpg (if it’s still in the 20’s). As we discovered in the recent thread that you started, some people have managed to change their car for that reason alone, which admittedly surprised me, but might be worth a shot?

rico

I am properly done with motability, was due to change this year and going on this ill be extending and buying, I was pissed off with whole extra money they had stockpiled then used to give to charities (and i do charity stuff when i can and able) un related to people that have put into the scheme. Some of the AP are shocking tbh, I had my eye on the rav4 hybrid, which was well specced up for price last quarter, they want almost same ap for car that is 5000 less retail with 8k less worth of addons.. its a joke in my honest opinion some of the increases are crazy mad.

BigDave
                                                Participant

There is sure some odd pricing going on. For example, the Kia Sportage automatic diesel mild hybrids where you can get the lower spec ‘3 FWD’, ‘GT Line S FWD’ and ‘GT Line S AWD’ all for the same £2687 AP.

Who in their right mind would order the lower spec ‘3’ when you can get a higher spec plus all-wheel drive for exactly the same AP?

Yes, it is probably the ‘run out’ model, as a new 2021 Sportage is coming out later this year, but it seems very odd.

solent60
                                                  Participant

I do not see any ford focus yet for 2021 or the Renault clio 130 rs line edc either i see the Peugeot 208 gt line 130 auto is on there and the Ford Fiesta 125 st line 7 speed auto is now on the scheme not many sporty cars are on there anymore there is the fiat 500x sport still on there which at 148bhp is not bad and it does have a fair bit of boot space.

The Peugeot 208 is/was top of my list for my next car which, I should add, I could have ordered a month ago now. As is usual for Motability & car manufacturer’s however, it appears that only ‘old stock’ (of which there is probably plenty bearing in mind the pandemic) is available for us to order.

Peugeot recently changed the 208 model range. I was hoping (silly me) that the new GT and GT Premium versions would appear on the scheme Q1. After all, if you look at Peugeot’s website – or if you were ordering today as a private buyer – you can only order/buy these new, updated versions! The latter of the two versions now includes heated seats (amongst other things) which are extremely beneficial to me & my lower back issues.

I have two months before my current lease ends… but I haven’t got a clue what to do next!

Zak

Hi everyone,

apologies if I am asking this on the wrong topic however does anyone have Nathan’s email address? I have been following this chat for a while now and have noticed he is able to provide members with a discount on AP. Thank you in advance for your help.

Zak

BigDave
                                                      Participant

Hi everyone, apologies if I am asking this on the wrong topic however does anyone have Nathan’s email address? I have been following this chat for a while now and have noticed he is able to provide members with a discount on AP. Thank you in advance for your help. Zak

If you scroll down to post number #131974 on page 6 of the following thread, you can see his post dated 12th December 2020 about the offer and his Motability sales chap’s e-mail address:

Motability Deals And Offers

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 227 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.