Pro's and con's of Q1

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Stewart 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #68267 Reply

JS

Having had a quick look at Q1 pricing I thought it would be good to get thoughts on the good/bad pro/con and surprises of Q1.

for me overall it seems they have been very reserved, having looked at a few pricing’s it seems some have narrowed the gap between manual and auto which is a welcomed move. It’s a shame Motability has allowed some manufacturers to us them as a dumping ground and at our expense.

As per normal will will have to wait a few days for Motability to catch up and take Q4 prices off the new Q1 prices before we can be sure of what’s available.

thats just my thoughts but i took delivery a year ago so only looking generally, would love to hear others thoughts.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #68278 Reply

James

Hi,

I think that the Tiguan allspice will be a great addition to the scheme but I would of loved to see a better spec.

Also I would of thought that we would of seen some additions to the xc40, the momentum just isn’t good enough for the money!

Does anyone know the pricing criteria for this year?

Entry level model needs to be £… for manuals and £… for autos

Maximum vechile value £…

Maximum bhp…

and im sure there’s more!

#68279 Reply

Geoff

Volvo XC 40 with front sensors and priv/ glass would be  £4420 up front. I hope that no one orders one and teach them a lesson.

#68280 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I got a 65 plate Peugeot 308 SW 1.6 Blue hdi 120 Allure for £295 AP, admittedly it had £500 off the advance payment at the time but now to get the same car you’re looking at an Advance Payment of £1,499 for the manual and £2,699 for the automatic, not only is there no justification for the huge price rise but the gap between manual and auto is massive, it;s an utter rip off and motability are happy to just let it slide as it will put more money in the bank for them in 3 years!

#68281 Reply

Stewart

I think the latest prices are scandalous.

Not only do we have to put up with low horsepower and price restrictions, but we are now expected to pay AP’s that equate to cars costing £40k plus.

Fair enough, not everyone wants a prestigious car but there’s no way I’m giving up my X1 25D for the likes of a Kia, Hyundai etc.

Why is it 2 years ago I got a £38k 231BHP prestigious car, fully loaded for an AP of £4k?

Something doesn’t add up and it needs investigating.

#68282 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

Stewart,

It feels like a political decision, not one requested by the manufacturers. The politicians thought it looked ‘bad’ if the ‘economically inactive cripples’ ( a phrase I despise for a million reasons) were driving around in prestige cars.

Current Motability car: Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5 petrol auto AWD. AP £2,395 + £199 for 4-way 80kg hoist.

Previous Mota cars:
    2013-16 Ford Focus estate petrol auto. AP £95. No adaptations.
    2016-19 Vauxhal Zafira 1.4T petrol SE Auto. AP £795 inc. basic hoist.

#68283 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

We are both disabled, and need a hoist, wheelchair and walker in the car. This generally means an SUV is best for us, but many of them were taken off under the price cap.

We hate the van like feel and lack of equipment of cars like the Torneo, Rifter etc.

Many disabled people need a bigger car – which often means a prestige model – it is not that we want a flash car with a pretty badge.

We went for the Kuga Vignale this time, and that is close to the cap with parking assist etc. I worry we’ll have trouble next time around. We also need an 82cm tailgate aperture height, and the vast majority of cars on the scheme don’t have that.

So yeah, we’re talking about what disabled people need here, not what we’re told we can have.

This stuff really pisses me off.

Current Motability car: Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5 petrol auto AWD. AP £2,395 + £199 for 4-way 80kg hoist.

Previous Mota cars:

#68284 Reply

jamesg

Alfa  Giulia off scheme again  if i remember correctly the X1  25D   had an Ap of  £2999

#68286 Reply

Stuart

I for one will be leasing privately when my VW tiguan comes to an end if nothing changes. Thankfully i have another 2 years left on my lease with a possible extension of 2 years past that as my mileage is really low so im safe for a while yet. I really do feel for anyone who is in the unfortunate position of having to renew now, i know some people think we moan about cars not been good enough and we should be thankful for the scheme and there are plenty of good cars available blah blah blah but at the end of the day im paying for my car, albeit at a discount but all the same if im paying for a car i want to drive something i like and not just opt for a car im pushed towards because the price has doubled or in some cases tripled for no apparent reason. I personally dont see any justification for the massive price hike on the APs and when i see massive amounts of profits announced in the press alongside massive salaries it just boils my P**s. I know it will be more expensive to lease privately due to insurance etc but at least i will be driving a car i want to drive and one that fits my disability needs.

#68287 Reply

Stuart

Any idea why my post keeps scrambling ?

#68288 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

Stuart,

One of the things that put us off private leasing is that we need a hoist fitted, and many lease companies don’t allow that mod – we checked. That, coupled with us having a private income from investments, but no salaries, complicates the financial vetting side of it, and it all got too much trouble.

My wife used to work in insurance/leasing, so has kept up to date with this stuff.

Previous Mota cars:

#68290 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Any idea why my post keeps scrambling ?

Hi Stewart

Your post is odd but I can only think MI5 are tracking you for your anti-establishment views of the disabled. ?

Back to the pro’s and con’s another thing I personally think puts disabled folk in a bad light is the way CH4 and the BBC go on and on about how wonderful it is that disabled folk are winning gold for GB in the para-Olympics and how the competitors work oh so hard to achieve their goals.

When truth is know that they more than likely have better support money wise than we average Joe disabled have or like everyone in TV land, come from well to do families.

When a disabled TV or media celebrity has to wait an hour for someone to bring a wheelchair to their aircraft so they can go on their way, it’s big news but when it happens to us ordinary disabled folk, it’s a laugh.

Anyway I digest and say “get those auto gearbox AP’s down for the very least for those who are disabled drivers”.

#68291 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

I’ve never looked into private leasing myself as a disabled person or when I was fully abled but talking to my none disabled Brother-in Law who does it says he gets a great deal with private leasing but the other side of that coin taken into consideration what Confusicated said is, if you have stuff like a hoist or other disabled equipment they do damage to the car unless your fully abled and able to handle the equipment carefully when loading and un-loading.

I only had my car with hoist 9 weeks and already there are marks on the back of the back seats where my scooter is pushed up tightly into the seats because it only just fits. That damage is only slight and in 3 years when the car goes back it more than likely only cost a few £’s to fix but a private leasing company will fleece you for it.

Mind you, if the AP’s where lower I might have been able to afford a bigger car that the scooter fits with no damage. ?�?

#68293 Reply

Stuart

Yeah i can see your point with regards to modifications fortunately my disability does not require any at the moment. I do think it is a viable option for some of us though as the up front cost is less than some of the APs at the moment so the difference would almost pay for the insurance cost of the ones i have researched. Fingers crossed in 4 years when im in the situation of changing something will have changed but im not holding my breath. I will however be looking over my shoulder from now on in case MI5 come snooping lol

#68296 Reply

Robert

Private leasing works if you do low mileage, there are some good deals but if you want to do more than 6/8k a year they then work out way more than Motability.

#68302 Reply

Stewart

Totally agree. I didn’t ask to be disabled and now they are denying me one of the few pleasures in life that I have left.

#68304 Reply

Michael Seignot

Example of a current leasing deal.

Jaguar E-Pace Diesel Estate Manual

AP: £2175

£241.76
    Per Month, INC VAT for 48 months

8k miles per annum

#68306 Reply

Stewart

I’ve just been sent this deal.

VW Allspace 2.0TDI SE Nav

£279 per month

AP £1679

10k miles pa

#68307 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Stewart that not a good deal compared to mobility for the same car

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Oscarmax.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#68309 Reply

Daniel

VW are using motability as a dumping ground it seems. The Tiguan Allspace SE NAV is only available from stock meaning you can’t factory order them to your specification.

#68323 Reply

Stewart

Yes it was £2999 AP and I loaded it with plenty of extras almost adding £1k to that.

An absolute bargain compared with this latest list.

#68324 Reply

Stewart

Yes Oscarmax not the best comparison except it seems that they had already secured some of these in auto.

#68406 Reply

Ldc7080

bash motability as much as you want and yes the deals / cars are worse but find any of these cars on lease cheaper than the £240 a month your paying now with free service, tyres, insurance, breakdown cover and up to 20k miles. Not possible

#68408 Reply

JS

Ldc7080 unfortunately although I agree with your sentiments, we must bare in mind it depends on the vehicle, it’s true that certain vehicles combined with the full package are definitely unbeatable, but the other side of the spectrum in some cases some are paying more in 3 years and not owning the vehicle at the end of it than they could if was able to buy outright, Motability unfortunately are guilty of taking advantage of the fact a lot of “Disabled ” have no or low Credit score or a disposable income for the AP. Without doing any homework on it I would say although they aim to make £1000 pound per vehicle they make the most out of the people with no disposable income selecting a car out of necessity and those with the Money to afford and spec thier vehicle to thier needs, it’s only “average Joe” they base the figures on and are making a saving.

i always like the caparison they put in thier price list Magazine., at no point do they show or take into account on the figures they get the Tax And incentive benefits on  the “Disabled” halve.

For those lucky enough to be able to put money towards the vehicle required on a whole do ok. unfortunately it’s the nature of the beast they have a formula but  it doesn’t work in every case.

#68422 Reply

Stewart

Great post.

I thought these schemes were supposed to be non-profit making.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Pro's and con's of Q1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: