Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

This topic contains 210 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar vinalspin 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #69010 Reply
    Wonky

Hi all,  after months of waiting my vw Touran petrol auto is finally being built.

It was ordered and test driven as a 1.4 petrol auto but this has been replaced with the new 1.5 petrol.

Trouble is I am seeing some bad reports about this engine throughout the VW group.  Anyone have the 1.5 petrol or know anything about the problems?

Apparently the engine is very jerky and kangaroos at low speed. Any help appreciated.

Regards, Wonky

Viewing 10 replies - 201 through 210 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #82519 Reply
    SaintsMan

Maybe someone should contact Watchdog, they love to tackle car issues, look at the Fiat 500 problem a few years ago.

#82521 Reply
    Philjb

Good idea, but I bet someone already has.

I cant believe vw don’t have a fix by now? It must be pretty major that it can’t be fixed with a software update.

#83064 Reply
    John Adams

Interesting to hear your comment that the 150 tsi  petrol engine problem is know about throughout the VAG group. I booked my 150 tsi  R Line in at the main VAG dealer and they claim to have never heard about the engine being jerky at low speed! I’ve had the car a few months and can honestly say it’s the most infuriating car to try and drive smoothly when you pull away. I thought it was me but pleased to learn other drivers experience the same problem. Interestingly, today the weather was misty with very high due points. The car performed perfectly! It makes when wonder if it’s not a problem with the turbo setup on these cars as I’m sure most of you are aware high due points result in less dense air and better turbo performance. Not at all jerky, once the weather picked up it was back to its usual ‘jerkyness!’

#87163 Reply
    Paul

Software updates starting to roll out now

#87170 Reply
    Philjb

About time, there must be some pretty frustrated customers out there.

#87176 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

I wouldn’t hold my breath that a software tweak will fix anything, if it does stop the jerkiness it will be at the cost of either fuel economy or performance, probably a bit of both, I wouldn’t be happy with a car that was going to have 25-30% of it’s power/economy wiped out.

#87198 Reply
    Philjb

Well it must be a serious issue to take so long to find a fix.

Its incredible to think such a big company can produce an engine with problems like this, that weren’t rectified before it went on sale.

Mind you I think BMW also had a few issues with their 1.5 petrol .

#87199 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

The main issue was that the engine was designed before new restrictions were introduced and as the corporate idiots at VAG didn’t want to go down the re-design route to meet these new targets but believed whoever told them that it could be done with the ECU(probably someone after a promotion) then they were “all in” with this engine that could never ever meet such requirements due to the entire design of the engine, only way around it is to reduce power in stages via restricted fuelling/inhibiting upon initial acceleration in each gear which will result in less power and worse fuel economy.

#87222 Reply
    Philjb

So basically the same fix to situation with the software cheat diesel bluemotion cars a few years ago.

That worked well. 🙄

#87231 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Yeah, muppets.

Viewing 10 replies - 201 through 210 (of 210 total)
Reply To: Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: