Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

This topic contains 219 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Clipped wings 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #69010 Reply

Wonky

Hi all,  after months of waiting my vw Touran petrol auto is finally being built.

It was ordered and test driven as a 1.4 petrol auto but this has been replaced with the new 1.5 petrol.

Trouble is I am seeing some bad reports about this engine throughout the VW group.  Anyone have the 1.5 petrol or know anything about the problems?

Apparently the engine is very jerky and kangaroos at low speed. Any help appreciated.

Regards, Wonky

Viewing 19 replies - 201 through 219 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #82519 Reply

SaintsMan

Maybe someone should contact Watchdog, they love to tackle car issues, look at the Fiat 500 problem a few years ago.

#82521 Reply

Philjb

Good idea, but I bet someone already has.

I cant believe vw don’t have a fix by now? It must be pretty major that it can’t be fixed with a software update.

#83064 Reply

John Adams

Interesting to hear your comment that the 150 tsi  petrol engine problem is know about throughout the VAG group. I booked my 150 tsi  R Line in at the main VAG dealer and they claim to have never heard about the engine being jerky at low speed! I’ve had the car a few months and can honestly say it’s the most infuriating car to try and drive smoothly when you pull away. I thought it was me but pleased to learn other drivers experience the same problem. Interestingly, today the weather was misty with very high due points. The car performed perfectly! It makes when wonder if it’s not a problem with the turbo setup on these cars as I’m sure most of you are aware high due points result in less dense air and better turbo performance. Not at all jerky, once the weather picked up it was back to its usual ‘jerkyness!’

#87163 Reply

Paul

Software updates starting to roll out now

#87170 Reply

Philjb

About time, there must be some pretty frustrated customers out there.

#87176 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I wouldn’t hold my breath that a software tweak will fix anything, if it does stop the jerkiness it will be at the cost of either fuel economy or performance, probably a bit of both, I wouldn’t be happy with a car that was going to have 25-30% of it’s power/economy wiped out.

#87198 Reply

Philjb

Well it must be a serious issue to take so long to find a fix.

Its incredible to think such a big company can produce an engine with problems like this, that weren’t rectified before it went on sale.

Mind you I think BMW also had a few issues with their 1.5 petrol .

#87199 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The main issue was that the engine was designed before new restrictions were introduced and as the corporate idiots at VAG didn’t want to go down the re-design route to meet these new targets but believed whoever told them that it could be done with the ECU(probably someone after a promotion) then they were “all in” with this engine that could never ever meet such requirements due to the entire design of the engine, only way around it is to reduce power in stages via restricted fuelling/inhibiting upon initial acceleration in each gear which will result in less power and worse fuel economy.

#87222 Reply

Philjb

So basically the same fix to situation with the software cheat diesel bluemotion cars a few years ago.

That worked well. ?

#87231 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Yeah, muppets.

#96239 Reply

ChrisM

I got this software update and its fixed

#96240 Reply

Craig

Does it drive better ChrisM?

#99849 Reply

wonky

Hi all,

just a note on this old topic.  I’m looking to change soon so have been catching up with the latest info I can find.

As stated before, I shouldn’t really be driving a diesel, short journeys etc. That’s why I started looking at Petrol to replace my diesel Alhambra.  As I need a large vehicle I looked at Touran, then all the problems with the 1.5 tsi petrol engine came to light.

Anyway the point is, I have recently been told by Honest John (whom I trust), the problem has now been fixed with another software update.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Regards, wonky

#99853 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Reading various VAG forums, it does appear to have been fixed with the latest software update.

#99855 Reply

Mike

Yes mine was updated yesterday go on wonky order one be a devil

#99871 Reply

Markymate
    Participant

Hi all, just a note on this old topic. I’m looking to change soon so have been catching up with the latest info I can find. As stated before, I shouldn’t really be driving a diesel, short journeys etc. That’s why I started looking at Petrol to replace my diesel Alhambra. As I need a large vehicle I looked at Touran, then all the problems with the 1.5 tsi petrol engine came to light. Anyway the point is, I have recently been told by Honest John (whom I trust), the problem has now been fixed with another software update. Anyone got any thoughts? Regards, wonky

Hi Wonky

My brother took delivery of a 1.5TSi SE L Touran two weeks ago. He had a 2lt diesel Touran manual, but after driving my 1.4TSi DSG Kodiaq he ordered the new Touran. I explained to him about all the problems about the 1.5TSi with the manual gearbox, but he just wanted the DSG petrol.  Anyway, he absolutely loves it. No kangarooing nonsense, plenty of power and has found no problems on the hills of rural Shropshire. Now I just keep getting emails telling how brilliant it is LOL!!!

#99872 Reply

Macca

I wonder if we’ll see a return of the 1.5tsi Tiguan R Line after its “blink and you’ll miss it” appearance earlier this year 🤔

#99889 Reply

Zaheer76

I’ve 0rdered a 2.0tdi dsg but I would cancel it if the 1.5tsi came back on!

#99958 Reply

Clipped wings

Thanks for the positive update. My Touran 1.4 tsi dsg is into the last 6 months and was concerned by the WLTP induced problems. Even the big V6 diesels have suffered from hesitancy. Whether Touran, kodiac or Tiguan the tsi dsg will be my engine of choice

Viewing 19 replies - 201 through 219 (of 219 total)
Reply To: Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: