Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

This topic contains 210 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar vinalspin 5 days, 16 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #69010 Reply
    Wonky

Hi all,  after months of waiting my vw Touran petrol auto is finally being built.

It was ordered and test driven as a 1.4 petrol auto but this has been replaced with the new 1.5 petrol.

Trouble is I am seeing some bad reports about this engine throughout the VW group.  Anyone have the 1.5 petrol or know anything about the problems?

Apparently the engine is very jerky and kangaroos at low speed. Any help appreciated.

Regards, Wonky

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #77842 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

The truth is out there.  .

A job for Mulder and Scully maybe ? ?

#77843 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

I love my Golf 1.5 tsi dsg se nav minchin kirkwood Mcvey now done 11500 miles been fab from day one in fact now running better than ever and very economical I have the 130 bhp engine not the 150 bhp engine

I like Magnums....

#77854 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Phil, if the dealer gives you a bill for any work just work out how much time it has taken for said work to be done and bill the dealers for the same amount, I did this with my dealer, you should have seen the faces on them when I gave them the invoice from one of the companies I’m still the registered owner of!

?????

#77869 Reply
    Philjb

Mate they never said how long ?

but it can’t possibly take a day or half a day.?

they are just updating parking software, checking fluid levels looking at at bulb fault,  But the bulb works fine?

They said if you wait you may be 5 hours? So a courtesy car is my only option? But that wasn’t motability that was thr dealer.

#77886 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

5 hours!!!???

So 10 minutes to plug in etc, 4 hour coffee break, another 20 minutes to do the work, 5 minutes to take the stupid video, 15 minutes to figure out how to post the link, 10 minutes for service receptionist to finish her nails whilst on snapchat to her mates about last night then you get your keys back!

#77889 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

If you are in the showroom and are a connoisseur of coffee perhaps try out the range the dealership has on offer ?

#77901 Reply
    Philjb

Fwipperie

Last time I popped in the coffee bar was a mess, no idea what coffee went where. Ended up with fruit tea that tasted like rubbard ruins. ☠️

So I’ll pass unless they have cleaned up their act.

But do motabilitity pay for like for like cars while the dealer has your car? Or do you have to ok it with them first, I’m not paying out for such a tiny service.

I doubt they will touch the bulb as it’s working/ or update the software.

Im sure I could have a warm brown with 6 sugars.

read last years dealer magazine and then drive the 3 miles home.

While im there I’ll get the official opinion of the 1.5 engine and it’s problems. ??

#78163 Reply
    Philjb

So I dropped my car this morning at the dealers. The guy gave me a petrol Tiguan as a loan vehicle.

I think it’s a 1.5 s manual and I’ve got to say at first it seemed fine. But I got out onto the main  road and pulled away in a line of traffic and the car kangaroos down the road about 4 times.

I had to keep dipping the clutch then try and pull away again.

The cars behind must have thought I was a right spanner.

So I put my flashers on and eventually I pulled away.

Odd as it was fine as I pulled away from the dealers and drove about 2 miles in 5th.

But then it was really smooth. No diesel push in the back when hurrying from the lights on rare occasions.

But I experienced it for my self.

Its like the car was stuck in 2 cylinder mode and couldn’t pull away?   Odd one.

#78240 Reply
    Philjb

Interesting day between kangarooing and 2 cylinder mode?

Its eerie that cutting two cylinders makes no difference to the vw Tiguan power, as in it didn’t have much in 4 cylinder either.

But this car was base spec with running boards that just got in my way?

When I dropped it back I was asked what I though?

I said why does the engine try and stall so you end up kangerooing down the road.

He just said they all do that it’s the price you pay for good economy.

My derv was showing 52mpg the 1.5  was showing 32 mpg.

I wouldn’t buy one.

Buy the way they topped up my levels, updated software, checked the contact on my LED  lights from dropping it off at 9am they rang me at 430pm just before I got the video.

#78246 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

Phil come and have a test drive anytime in my 1.5 tsi dsg Golf 130 bhp engine never kangarooed and showing 58 mpg after 14.000 miles

I like Magnums....

#78268 Reply
    Philjb

Mike I don’t disbelieve you it can’t be all bars?

But the Tiguan is 2 ton, they originally offered me a golf estate but I couldn’t t get comfy in the model they had.

It just amazed me this car was 2019 plate manual spotless with 700 miles on it and the sales assistant just said we have a lot here do it.

The only thing I could see was before it did it it said 2

cylinder mode on the dash?

I have no axe to grind just reporting  what i experienced.

I was worried as mine had a software update as a recall but it seems as smooth as ever. But it had lost a litre of oil and the screenwash warning light was on after 5 months  and 10k

But I drive the derv auto version every day so I’d stick to that for now.

#78276 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

Mine is 90% in 2 cylinder mode it really helps the economy

I like Magnums....

#78311 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Whilst it may deliver good economy running for 90% of the time in 2 cyl mode it must be the most uninspiring drive ever to keep it in eco mode, I couldn’t drive round with Miss Daisy in the back all the time knowing I was paying £265 per month for that privilege.

#78326 Reply
    wonky

Hi Vinalspin,  shame on you, we must all believe our Politicians and do our bit to save the planet!

(very tongue in cheek) for now I’m going to stick with the grunt and torque of a clean Euro 6 diesel.

Regards, wonky

#78327 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

But Vinalspin miss Daisy in the back is blonde busty suntanned blue eyes aged 55 lol

I like Magnums....

#78341 Reply
    wonky

Hi Mike 11, you have a fair point.

Regards, wonky

#78393 Reply
    Philjb

Mike that really surprised me how quick it went into 2 cylinder mode, almost immediately  I wasn’t expecting that.

They’re seemed no reason for it sometimes?

Ive never driven the 1.5 petrol one before only the 1.4 which I didn’t like as It seemed like it needed to kick down all the time to keep up with traffic, that obviously was an auto.

It may well be set up differently in the golfs? As I said they changed me to the tiguan , I’m by no means a  boy racer the clutch was lovely and smooth? So why it would kangaroo?

Also im no mechanic so I don’t understand the engineering apart from the basics.

#78394 Reply
    Philjb

Believe me once it was rodeoing along the fuel consumption wasn’t anywhere near our dirty derv.

Its always been high 40s to mid 50s since we got it.

#81213 Reply
    Paul Robinson

Update is our for 1.5 t roc but not the golf 1.5.

#81919 Reply
    Chris Cole

At the end of May I purchased a Skoda Superb Exec with the  1.5tsi engine and manual gearbox from Azur Skoda at Chichester West Sussex. I was told it was a demo car and it had 2800 miles on the clock. Like an idiot I paid in full by Bank transfer.  I only had a short test drive of probably a couple of miles but was satisfied all was well with the car as it seemed to drive pretty well. During the following week I experienced what I now know are several known faults with the car.

I reported the problems to the dealer within 4 weeks of purchase which included the following; Kangarooing in 1st gear when first starting the car, engine stalling for no apparent reason mainly at roundabouts, junctions and once at a level crossing, accelerating on it’s own in 2nd gear and brake assist warning light coming on for no apparent reason.  The sales guy suggested I book the car in for “investigation” which I did at their earliest appointment which was the 4th July. I told him that if the problems weren’t sorted that I would reject the car as I felt it had been sold to me in a dangerous condition.

As I feared, the car went in yesterday and the General Manager told me no faults were found, he wasn’t aware of any issues with the 1.5tsi manual gearbox combination and he was not going to accept me rejecting the car.  He did however show me a TPI that had been issued, saying that currently a fix for the issues was not available and that in no circumstances were they to attempt to rectify the problems. I quoted the 2015 Consumer protection Act but he just said basically he wasn’t going to refund my money as no fault was found.

He said as far as Skoda are concerned there are no issues and that these quirks were “characteristics” of the engine. So here I am with a £22k motor car that I have lost confidence in and I consider could be classed as dangerous and I can’t get my money back. The manager suggested that I take the issue up with Skoda UK and I told him my contract is with him the dealer that sold me the car.  In any case Skoda UK will say no your contract is with the dealer and around we will go again!

So anybody out there that can give me any advice as to what route I should take in order to get either a car that is in a safe condition or, my money back.

Help please…….

#81953 Reply
    wonky

Hi Chris,  this known problem was highlighted in th Skoda by Honest John some time ago. Go onto his website and follow advice. I think it will be threat of and being prepared to go to court. The problem is known about at VW, but as with diselgate getting the truth out of them is impossible.  Good luck.

Regards wonky

#82466 Reply
    Chris Cole

Hi wonky, thanks for your advice…have seen the HJ article and informed the “General Manager”  (now Brand Leader, whatever that means) at Azur Skoda, Chichester of it’s existence but he is still adamant that as far as he’s aware there are no issues with this engine/gearbox combination and that as nothing showed on diagnostics and road test he’s not going to give me my money back. I am afraid it appears  that truth and this guy should not appear in the same sentence.

Chris C.

#82467 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Chris there is a major problem the whole of the motor industry are aware of the issues even VS please take note the 1.4 engine has been retained for the latest PHEV golf and Passat, as per usual VW are in denial when the were problems with the 1.8 then the 1.4 and then the dieselgate. I am surprised mobility list the 1.5 tsi engine.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#82483 Reply
    wonky

Hi Chris,  sorry to hear you are still suffering at the hands of the lying so and sos.  Stick to your guns.

Try e-mailing Honest John for his advice, he is very good and has knowledge of this problem, he is well respected in the motor trade.

Good luck.

Regards, wonky

#82516 Reply
    Philjb

Chris

have you rung trading standards and CA, they will advise you on rejecting a car.

Dont back down is my advice.

Keep booking your car in and basically be a pain in the arse.

Until they see your not going to back down.

Im sure the manager has said the same to other buyers in the same position, especially if he’s showing you a TPI proves he knows of the fault.

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 210 total)
Reply To: Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: