Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

This topic contains 148 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  SaintsMan 13 hours, 41 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #69010 Reply

Wonky

Hi all,  after months of waiting my vw Touran petrol auto is finally being built.

It was ordered and test driven as a 1.4 petrol auto but this has been replaced with the new 1.5 petrol.

Trouble is I am seeing some bad reports about this engine throughout the VW group.  Anyone have the 1.5 petrol or know anything about the problems?

Apparently the engine is very jerky and kangaroos at low speed. Any help appreciated.

Regards, Wonky

Viewing 23 replies - 126 through 148 (of 148 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #71602 Reply

wonky

Hi CBi69,  more good info.

There is too much evidence, from owners of all the brands in the VW group, showing this 1.5 tsi engine has a problem. It seems more apparent in manuals.

As stated previously, I have recently driven the 1.5 tsi auto Touran and didn’t experience the jerkiness in first and second gears, however I did find the engine lacklustre and slow to respond when trying to overtake. For this reason and VWs denials, I am not going ahead with this engine

Regards, wonky

#71606 Reply

fwipperie
    Participant

I think that is a very wise decision. Too many issues raised  with the 1.5tsi plus VW’s history with dieselgate.

#74545 Reply

Paul Robinson

bought a 2018 reg Golf 1.5 Tsi 3 weeks ago , wish I had known about the problem of the jerkiness!

Having said that the service manager at the dealer was very honest and said they were waiting for a software update.

previously had a a Golf GTD and was really happy with that car, this problem has put me off VWs😑

#74550 Reply

Philjb

I think it’s going to be hard to update the software and still pass emissions.

Id be looking at giving it back tbh.

#74552 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

They’ve already tried 2-3 software updates that haven’t cured the problems and I don’t think it can be cured with software since they actually changed the hardware and firing cycle to meet emissions regulations, end result is worse economy, lower power and lumpy running/big power holes in the rev range hence the old kangaroo!

Pull the rip cord there Paul and give the dealer his polished turd back asap.(Personal opinion of an ex mechanic/technology engineer)

#74555 Reply

Mike11
    Participant

Paul is yours manual mines DSG over a year old never had any jerkiness

#74559 Reply

Persuader

Id also be interested to hear if any DSG users have experienced any issues with the 1.5. It’s an engine and gearbox that dominates the schemes choices!

#74560 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

They’ve already tried 2-3 software updates that haven’t cured the problems and I don’t think it can be cured with software since they actually changed the hardware and firing cycle to meet emissions regulations, end result is worse economy, lower power and lumpy running/big power holes in the rev range hence the old kangaroo! Pull the rip cord there Paul and give the dealer his polished turd back asap.(Personal opinion of an ex mechanic/technology engineer)

It looks like VW will have too abandon the Miller Cycle and revert back to the older Otto Cycle, this will entail camshafts and followers complete with a ECU major programming. As you have already stated it is going to blow all the emissions and fuel economy out of the window.

My suggestion either suspend manufacturing manual 1.5tsi models until they car sort it out, they could possibly look at modification to the transmission system, has any complained about perkiness with dsg

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#74565 Reply

Georgie

I picked up my manual 1.5 TSi Golf GT a week ago.  Now 300+ miles on the clock and I’ve had absolutely no problem with it.  No ‘kangeroo-ing’, no lack of power when I accelerate (gently, of course – I’m still running it in).  DH (30+ years of driving) has also driven it with no issues.

Hot or cold, rain or shine, the engine (and everything else) has been fine.

#74626 Reply

Paul Robinson

Manual gearbox, also heard that t roc, seats affected with the 1.5 engine, seems some are not affected though? Which is strange.

#74638 Reply

Gazza

I ordered a 1.5 TSI DSG Passat on 31 December 2018.  VW cannot give me a build date and cannot confirm that it will be delivered in 2019.  You may be thinking that’s a load of rubbish, well let me also tell you that I have been told by an industry insider that VW are not allowing any new orders for the 1.5 TSI Passat until they can “remedy a minor fault.”  How reliable is this information, I’m not sure, but I would take a look in your nearest VW dealers and let me know if there is a Passat in the showroom.  I can’t find one in Essex and dealers are trying desperately to offload all used Passat TSI DSG relatively cheaply.

#74724 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Sorry to ‘bump’ and old thread but back in January HJ reported  (extract below) that there was some acknowledgement of the issue by Volkswagen, the other Motoring press seem less interested – i’m sure it has nothing to do with advertising revenue.

I’m not against big corporations but following on from dieselgate is this VW using their might to sweep the issue away? Hoping they can come up with a software fix in the future so as not to announce a recall?

I have not experienced the issue but there are scathing reports on the T-Roc forum.

The new SEAT Tarraco is a cracking deal this quarter using this very engine, I am loathed to recommend the car to people with this in the back of my mind.

Not quite a moral dilemma but it is a problem that appears to be dragging on for VW and the PR team must be sick of it.

#74726 Reply

wonky

Hi, I think it is important to keep this thread to the fore.

As I have reported I cancelled my Touran with this engine after test driving. I had waited 8 months for delivery and had a cracking deal but it wasn’t worth the poor engine performance.

This engine is in many models and our members need to be aware so they can make an informed choice. Please keep this issue highlighted.

Regards, wonky

#74727 Reply

fwipperie
    Participant

Agreed, highly important. Also issues with BMW DCT 7 speed.

#74736 Reply

Philjb

At least they admit there is a problem.

Will they just go back to the old 1.4 petrol engine?

Or design a completely new unit?  I know ford also had problems with the early 3 cylinder engines and the 2.3 petrol in the Ford Focus, meaning customers had new head gaskets or in some cases it was too late and a new engine was needed.

I read in a leaflet through the door yesterday. Here in Kingston we found out that the Lib Dem council want to charge anyone with a petrol hybrid new or old or any diesel, new euro 6 or older, an extra £50 charge on all on street residents parking permits, they say it will reduce air pollution? plus it includes blue badge holders.

We have a drive for 4 cars so it won’t apply to us.

But i can’t work out the logic at all?

#74737 Reply

fwipperie
    Participant

Politicians = Logic? Not usually.

#74739 Reply

Dragonfly

@philjb

Reduce air pollution = Another Tax

I doubt if that the Lib Dem council will invest the money gained, by the new tax, into any Air Pollution Reducing Scheme, the motorist will simply pay the tax as they need their cars, the only real outcome is the Council increase their tax revenue.

#74740 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

So in the eyes of the Lib Dem you can poison young children with the fumes for your car as long as you pay for it?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#74756 Reply

Philjb

Their thinking is as you pay more the air some how gets cleaner?

I used to be a runner in my young days and not once did I have a cough or sneezing fit, running through town in rush hour.

It’s just another scam.

Like this central London tax, it will solve nothing as it’s a massive city. They want to turn it into a rural Vilage where we all ride bikes?

A bit impossible for some disabled folk, myself included.

#74772 Reply

Paul Robinson

Software update is imminent ……

#75353 Reply

Ian

1.5EVO with DSG and I’m getting cold engine kangarooing and awful gear changes (especially cold 1st to 2nd, 3,500rpm usually). I’ve been waiting on the alleged software update since start of March.

#75400 Reply

Philjb

Bloody hell ian that’s not great.

Most folks with a Dsg box seam to be problem free, I guess the auto box can’t smooth out the misfire in all cases. Hope they fix it soon or tell motability to arrange looking for something else and taking it back.

What about mpg ? Some say it’s lower then expected too.

#75403 Reply

SaintsMan

@fwipperie

Can you expand your BMW DCT7 statement. I can’t see anything on BMW forums.

Viewing 23 replies - 126 through 148 (of 148 total)
Reply To: Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: