Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

This topic contains 148 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  SaintsMan 13 hours, 29 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #69010 Reply

Wonky

Hi all,  after months of waiting my vw Touran petrol auto is finally being built.

It was ordered and test driven as a 1.4 petrol auto but this has been replaced with the new 1.5 petrol.

Trouble is I am seeing some bad reports about this engine throughout the VW group.  Anyone have the 1.5 petrol or know anything about the problems?

Apparently the engine is very jerky and kangaroos at low speed. Any help appreciated.

Regards, Wonky

Viewing 25 replies - 101 through 125 (of 148 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #71346 Reply

wonky

Hi Mike,  steady on !!

you are fortunate with your golf and good luck to you.

However, there is overwhelming evidence regarding problems with this engine in several VW group models.

Why gamble and hope it doesn’t happen, we should be able to trust the vehicle we get .

Regards, wonky

#71354 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Mike

Mike how many miles are you actually getting to the gallon, honest john members are reporting just over 40 mpg for the manual and 44 mpg for the dig 1.5 tsi golf.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#71355 Reply

fwipperie
    Participant

EQUA Index is a good indicator of likely fuel consumption.

#71356 Reply

Philjb

Our Tiguan diesel says something like 650 miles left when filled right up.

But it’s more like 550 in reality with mixed diving and the recent cold spell.

Still an improvement on our older vw touran diesel.

But id rather spend the extra few pence on fuel and have the torque then go to petrol at present anyway, until all my kids leave home.

Plus petrols keep on improving.

I was talking to a guy who is a dreaded Uber driver and he says his prius gets about the same mixed driving.

#71359 Reply

Mike

Oscarmax it says 55 average mpg my first tank full from showroom done no miles I got 650 miles I drive in eco mode mostly 2 cylinder which is great for petrol I think yes I look at honest John mpg for Kuga etc

#71360 Reply

Mike

Mine is the 130 bhp version not the 150 bhp version

#71361 Reply

Mike

What engine is your kuga again oscarmax ?

#71365 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

What engine is your kuga again oscarmax ?

Mike our Kuga is 2.0 diesel powershift, I think honest john 38 mpg which is probably about right. I use the on screen mpg. In the summer I get around 42 mpg, on the winter it drops to 37-39, if I put the zircon on in winter it plummets to 34 – 35 in the winter. At the start of the lease in June 2017 we used to get much better fuel consumption summer 44 – 45 mpg and 40 – 41 winter, after it first year service in May 2018 it seemed to loose the edge of the performance, we used to get an easy 30 -32 towing, after the service 26 – 27mpg, I am sure the remapped the ECU to reduce the emissions at the service.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#71370 Reply

Mike

Oscarmax at the end of the day it’s how you drive I live in the countryside so do no town driving so mainly I’m doing 40 to 50 mph no stop starting traffic lights etc I also never use the air con and as for heater well I have a berghaus goose down coat when cold so can’t say I use the heater a lot ! All forums tell you different I’m getting another 100 mpg compared to my old 1.4 tsi dsg Golf so I’m happy with that ! On the motorway I don’t go over 70 mph and always try to coast in 2 cylinder mode ! Every time I fill up I set the trip counter to nought and then says average mpg from refuel on dashboard ! Im getting a hybrid next as I’m sure in 2 years there will be a big choice

#71373 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Mike the GTE looks goods, but due too unprecedented demand they have suspended new orders. Yes I agree it is all down to driving we live in the country. The our Ford Kuga technology is now an old dinosaur, the new model this year will us adblue.

#71377 Reply

Mike

Yes I saw silver GTE in showroom when picked up mine just wish it went 300 miles on a charge maybe in 2 years it will ? I’ve read a Seat Leon hybrid is out later this year so that would be popular on motability if available ? I’m sure the new Kuga will have a hybrid version I’m sure I read that the other day ?

#71385 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Mike, driving round in your car doesn’t sound like much fun to be honest, wearing a coat to save a few pence on fuel, life is too short for that s##t!

#71386 Reply

Mike

Vinalspin of course I have heater on when frost etc but coat does help as well lol it’s a lot of fun I have radio 2 on the dab radio and on a hot day I may put air con on for 10 mins !!!  Life is too short I’ve got money to spend but alas I’m tight fisted

#71387 Reply

Mike

Just wish the Audi A3 cabriolet was available on motability they are gorgeous

#71388 Reply

Mike

#71389 Reply

Persuader

Mike, I was going to say people must avoid you at parties, but you probably don’t go to parties! 😜  (Just joshing with you)

#71391 Reply

Mike

We go to lots of parties around Christmas here and abroad I do like to look smart

#71397 Reply

wonky

Hi all,  anyone noticed, VW have today added the 1.5 tsi petrol Touran .

Regards, wonky

#71398 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Wondered where that squeaking was coming from?

I get shabby mileage, if I drive it like you do then it barely improves and screws the DPF so I just drive it like I stole it and look forward to the day it goes!

2 years old and 30,000 miles and on 3rd set of tyres!

#71470 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Hi all, anyone noticed, VW have today added the 1.5 tsi petrol Touran . Regards, wonky

£1,499 AP for auto SEL so still not a bad price for what you get if they can deliver.

#71476 Reply

wonky

Hi ChrisK,  whatever the price my advice after driving this model is,  have a long test drive and try engine in all driving situations.

Regards, wonky

#71482 Reply

David Keene

We cancelled our order for a 1.5TSi DSG Touran SEL two days ago after reading the reports of problems with the engine, including those highlighted by Wonky – thank you!

We ordered the car last March 2018 and had already waited 11 months for delivery – it has been sitting at VW South Oxford since January awaiting a VTN for that model, which was issued on Wednesday – hence the 1.5TSi is now listed again.

Obviously we’d been looking forward to getting the car, but the long wait and now the engine problems mean we’ve lost confidence in VW.

Back to square one with our search for a car!

#71483 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Hi ChrisK, whatever the price my advice after driving this model is, have a long test drive and try engine in all driving situations. Regards, wonky

Hi wonky

I cancelled my Touran SEL 1.5 TSi last October after waiting 5 months for nothing but now have a KIA Carens that’s very much like the Touran space wise. Downside to the KIA was it has a manual hand-brake after being promised by the dealer that the Caren does have an electronic handbrake but turned out to be only from the MY19 model onwards and not the MY18 model that was delivered but after the Touran WLTP fiasco I was happy to accept the MY18 even after the promise of the MY19 model. Yes VW has a lot to answer for. 😀

On the test drive front I can’t do that because the car has to be adapted for me to drive and is why I rely on you guys to give a review of the cars I’m interested in.

#71491 Reply

wonky

Hi ChrisK,  glad you’re happy with your Kia Carens apart from brake!

As Ive posted the Petrol Touran has only just come on scheme because up till a couple of days ago it didn’t have a VTN code from Motability. Anyway I’m not going ahead with the Touran since my test drive and feedback from many others regarding this 1.5 tsi engine. With a much longer test drive I may have changed my mind. I am certainly not taking vehicle and “see how it goes”, which has been suggested to me.

Your situation as described re test drives is a very valid point.  Whoever test drives I think there should be 24/48 hour test drives available if we have any doubts as to suitability of a vehicle.  It would surely stop a lot of early terminations.

Wishing you many happy miles motoring in your Kia, don’t forget to give feedback from time to time.

Regards, wonky

#71597 Reply

Cbi69

i have the 1.5 petrol manual Audi A3 and i make every excuse to take my wife’s care instead,

its been to the dealer 4 time for hesitation/ kangaroo in 1st and 2nd but I get fobbed off every time….. apparently it’s the characteristics of the car !!!!!

I so hope a remap or software fix is due soon as I’m now contemplating selling it.

Viewing 25 replies - 101 through 125 (of 148 total)
Reply To: Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: