Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

This topic contains 202 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Philjb 3 days, 3 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #69010 Reply

Wonky

Hi all,  after months of waiting my vw Touran petrol auto is finally being built.

It was ordered and test driven as a 1.4 petrol auto but this has been replaced with the new 1.5 petrol.

Trouble is I am seeing some bad reports about this engine throughout the VW group.  Anyone have the 1.5 petrol or know anything about the problems?

Apparently the engine is very jerky and kangaroos at low speed. Any help appreciated.

Regards, Wonky

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #70714 Reply

fwipperie
    Participant

The 1.4 was such a fine engine, the 1.5, which I test drove last year was a step back, not forward.

#70717 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

I love my 1.5 tsi dsg Golf I had 2 1.4 tsi dsg engine Golfs before I’ve loved them all

I like Magnums....

#70814 Reply

wonky

Hi all,  finally managed to drive a1.5 tsi Touran dsg.  Could only go a few miles (8] as it was an order car not a demo.

I drove from cold and I didn’t experience the reported jerkiness. Feathering the accelerator it was very quiet and smooth.  I thought it slow to pick up and respond when accelerator pressed hard,  noticeably slower than diesel kick down.

Only doing a few miles around town isn’t really fair but the mpg readout was below 30 mpg all the time, again worse than my present quite poor (around town) diesel.

Regards, wonky

#70821 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Wonky I’d go on to another make I can see you will never be happy with a VW

I like Magnums....

#70823 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Wonky I’d go on to another make I can see you will never be happy with a VW

Mike, Wonk has only driven the DSG apparently the problem is only showing up the manual models it could be down to the engine mapping or the DSG is clever enough to mask the problem.

The Touran  is considerably heavier and based on a commercial vehicle than the golf it is never going to as agile or as efficient as the golf.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#70831 Reply

wonky

Hi Mike 11 and Oscarmax,  good point about the dsg maybe smoothing out the jerky problem with this engine. I don’t know about technicalities but hard acceleration was definitely subdued.

I am a VW fan but only when they tell the truth. The Alhambra I drive has a VW engine and dsg box , they are superb, especially in larger vehicles. It is my short journeys and the modern very clean DPFs that mean diesel doesn’t work for me.

Can petrol deliver in larger vehicles?

Regards, wonky

#70834 Reply

fwipperie
    Participant

I had the 1.4tsi in an Octavia, great engine. I test drove two 1,5’s a few months ago and it didn’t appear as responsive.

#71074 Reply

KevinSalyer
    Participant

I’s usually the ‘Kangaroo juice’ that causes it.

Worn engine mounts, sticky throttle body, clutch technique, worn powertrain, duff petrol or faulty electronic sensors can and will cause a jerky drive.

#71087 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The issue is with brand new 1.5Tsi cars so anything associated with worn parts doesn’t even enter into it, as for bad driving technique it’s only reported on that specific engine and I don’t think they are all bought by only crap drivers!

#71092 Reply

wonky

Hi all,  this problem is now widespread across several models , all with the new 1.5tsi engine.  My recent test drive has decided me not to go ahead with the 1.5 Touran.

Regards, wonky

#71106 Reply

fwipperie
    Participant

I gave to say I found the engine to be lacklustre. Perhaps VW have sacrificed something for better co2?

#71108 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

In my humble opinion and it only mine, I have a feeling VW have learned the fuel of too much to meet the emissions, they have also changed the engine valve/camshaft timing, retained the original cylinder bore, but increased the engine crankshaft stoke to regain the lose in engine torque, VW are now using the Miller cycle they are no longer using the Otto cycle.[/quote]

Yes I agree, for better performance you would use the Otto cycle which entails opening the camshaft timing and fuelling earlier in the cycle, the downside more emissions, the Miller cycle opens the camshaft and fuelling much later in the cycle, unfortunately this blunt the performance but reduces emissions.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Oscarmax.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#71113 Reply

wonky

Hi Oscarmax,  whilst I can’t understand everything technically like you, I follow what you are saying and it really helps.

The really hurtful thing in all of this saga is, VW saying everything is fine and even on my short test drive I was beginning to doubt myself. However I know what I experienced and the engine had lacklustre performance and slow to respond.

When will VW tell the truth?

Regards, wonky

#71117 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Wonky  they won’t, they lied before over dieselgate so why break a habit of a lifetime.

#71121 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Mines fine but I love reading the comments superb engine

I like Magnums....

#71122 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Wonky what will you look at now ?

I like Magnums....

#71131 Reply

wonky

Hi Mike 11,  I know you are satisfied with your 1.5 tsi and I am genuinely pleased for you. Incidentally, is your engine pre WLTP, I ask this as some reports suggest earlier engines were ok.

To answer your question, if I want to stick to 7 seats I will just stick with my diesel Alhambra and have to do more miles to keep DPF happy. 5 seat wise I like the look of the Mazda CX 5 but haven’t driven and they went up £1k this quarter.

Regards, wonky

#71132 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Yes it’s early car Wonky but I think my previous 2 Golfs with the 1.4 tsi dsg engine were quieter mine does rev more but it’s more economical than my1.4 tsi as I have it in 2 cylinder eco mode

I like Magnums....

#71307 Reply

john rs

Please check out the T Roc forum, if you have the 1.5 TSI engine being fitted as across the VW range Audi  Q/2 and Q3, Seat, Skoda, and VW you may well have a kangaroo car, its up to you to risk it, some cars seem ok many don’t. Dealers are allowing cancellations at short notice your consumer rights.

VW HQ confirm two software updates tried a third on its way but no date ? ominous. Many argue its a  fundamental mechanical problem.

#71312 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Please check out the T Roc forum, if you have the 1.5 TSI engine being fitted as across the VW range Audi Q/2 and Q3, Seat, Skoda, and VW you may well have a kangaroo car, its up to you to risk it, some cars seem ok many don’t. Dealers are allowing cancellations at short notice your consumer rights. VW HQ confirm two software updates tried a third on its way but no date ? ominous. Many argue its a fundamental mechanical problem.

My money the engine is running too learn, I won’t go into the technical site, they will have to adjust the fuel map to enriching the bottom end of the fuel map, side effect it will not meet the emissions?

#71319 Reply

Ajaz Ali

Hi all,

I have a 1.5 evo golf manual..there is definitely a huge problem of ‘kangarooing’ especially in the lower gears…I’ve noticed it since day one…quite often it will end up stalling in 2nd gear for no reason,  as the engine does not respond quick enough on change down…. I’m going to return mine

#71325 Reply

wonky

Hi Ajax,  how old is your Golf?

As you may have read, I started this post because I was getting a Touran auto which now comes with this 1.5 tsi engine.  As I have reported, I managed to test the Touran auto which has only just become available.  The auto seemed to smooth out any jerkiness, but the engine was subdued and unresponsive to the throttle. I am now not taking delivery of vehicle because of this problem engine.

VW have definitely been at it again, playing about with settings to get engines through emission tests. Oscarmax has posted good comments on here with some technical knowledge.

I know, Honest John has a lot of info about Skoda cars with this engine problem, also a recent thread from VW t-roc customers have same problems.

So when you get told , it’s only you or your driving style causing problem, you stick to your guns !

Good luck,

Regards, wonky

#71335 Reply

Philjb

Interesting as I know someone with a new manual 1.5 T-roc who raves about it, who had the older 1.4 in his polo.

No kangerooing or loss in power.

No recal from VW

mind you he doesn’t read car forums and isn’t a motability customer.

Ive states my view on small petrol engines in large cars, I can only imagine to get them through emitions the software has been tinkered with, the 1.4 petrol kodiaq i road tested felt unresponsive enough to me, the reason I chose a 2.0 diesel engine, plus we visit family in the midlands and east anglia quite a bit, from west London.

Even in his polo I didn’t like the 1.4 engine although he got average fuel consumption.

Our test car Kodiaq was showing an average mpg of 26, it was an Auto and a hot day with the aircon on full. But that kind of mpg put us off.

Hopefully the 1.5 petrol is stronger with better mpg.

#71343 Reply

Mike

I’m a motability customer and read the forums and my Golf 1.5 tsi dsg runs perfect 1 year old in 2 weeks ! Just because they may have problems it doesn’t mean every car for goodness sake !

#71344 Reply

Mike

I regular see 600 to 650 miles on a tank full of petrol more economical than my previous 2 Golfs which were 1.4 tsi dsg

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 202 total)
Reply To: Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: