Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

This topic contains 202 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Philjb 3 days, 3 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #69010 Reply

Wonky

Hi all,  after months of waiting my vw Touran petrol auto is finally being built.

It was ordered and test driven as a 1.4 petrol auto but this has been replaced with the new 1.5 petrol.

Trouble is I am seeing some bad reports about this engine throughout the VW group.  Anyone have the 1.5 petrol or know anything about the problems?

Apparently the engine is very jerky and kangaroos at low speed. Any help appreciated.

Regards, Wonky

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #69343 Reply

Trev

Not yet Stewart

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#69378 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/owning-1/2019-01/volkswagen-acknowledges-problem-with-15-tsi-evo-engine/

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#69381 Reply

Trev

That is shocking Oscarmax, not so much the article, but the comments from readers of the article. It does seem VW have been downplaying the issue as it seems more widespread as they declare.

Hopefully it will be fixed with a simple engine remap, but vw are taking their time in sorting it out.

Apologies Wonky, my stance has changed in that i would not accept a car with a known, and declared engine fault. I wonder if VW will further hold vehicles with these engines till a fix has been implemented – surely they cannot release them after acknowledging there is a fault?

#69386 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

That is shocking Oscarmax, not so much the article, but the comments from readers of the article. It does seem VW have been downplaying the issue as it seems more widespread as they declare. Hopefully it will be fixed with a simple engine remap, but vw are taking their time in sorting it out. Apologies Wonky, my stance has changed in that i would not accept a car with a known, and declared engine fault. I wonder if VW will further hold vehicles with these engines till a fix has been implemented – surely they cannot release them after acknowledging there is a fault?

In my humble opinion and it only mine, I have a feeling VW have learned the fuel of too much to meet the emissions, they have also changed the engine valve/camshaft timing, retained the original cylinder bore, but increased the engine crankshaft stoke to regain the lose in engine torque, VW are now using the Miller cycle they are no longer using the Otto cycle.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Oscarmax.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#69389 Reply

Wonky

Hi Oscarmax and Trev,

Many thanks for info and link to Honest John article.

The value of discussion and  thoughts of many people have helped me make up my mind.

I have forwarded the article to my VW dealership and asked for an absolute guarantee this problem has been solved, particularly as VW hasn’t got a good track record recently of telling the truth.

I would much sooner stick with my Alhambra diesel and dpf regeneration problem, rather than a 1.5 petrol Touran with hesitation problems and denials.

Anybody want a cancelled order?

Thanks to all for help.

Regards, Wonky

#69404 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Mine is a year old in March never had a problem should I go to my dealer 4 miles away and get it checked over ?

I like Magnums....

#69406 Reply

Trev

As you are not experiencing any problems i would sit tight Mike. If VW do a recall you will know soon enough, and as i said before – more than likely a recall will be an engine remap which would possibly be a sit n wait appointment. We’ll keep an eye on any VW announcements, or just visit This Page weekly, pop your vin in and see if anything pops up.

#69409 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Ok Trev I actually do wait in showroom when car is serviced lovely coffee hob nobs all bought to you by the bosses ex wife Who is too gorgeous for words

I like Magnums....

#69412 Reply

Trev

Traded her in for a new model eh Mike?… sorry couldn’t resist, a discussion for a different thread.

#69413 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Lol Trev

I like Magnums....

#69417 Reply

Georgie

Hi!

I should be picking up my VW Golf GT TSi manual (150bhp) in March.  I hope VW will have sorted the problem/s by then.  Otherwise I guess I’ll just have to ‘Not drive like a bloody maniac’ (until the engine’s warmed up) and wait for the eventual Recall.

Sigh.

#69429 Reply

mitch
    Participant

georgie lol you shouldnt be driving like a maniac anyway ha ha.

#69436 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Good choice Georgie lovely car I love my Golf you can fly by me and Esther Mcvey lol

I like Magnums....

#69439 Reply

Georgie

Mitch – My ‘maniacal driving style’ is merely a matter of opinion, and I never take much notice of other people’s opinions – even when they’re held by the vast majority of other drivers.

Mike11 – I’d be happy to fly by you and Esther McVey any time, especially if her head is still in that bucket.

🙂

#69468 Reply

cjazzman
    Participant

Just picked up on this thread.  I was considering ordering the Volkswagen Golf 1.5 TSI R-Line Auto version, now not so sure with the comments on the 1.5?  The other choice was the Volkswagen Golf 2.0TDI R-Line Auto version.  Any comments if the Golf 2.0TDI would be a better choice?

#69471 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Both lovely cars if you do a lot of motorways driving have the bigger engine Golf imho

I like Magnums....

#69477 Reply

Wonky

Hi all,  just a bit of an update.

Armed with the Honest John article posted on here the other day, I told dealership I wouldn’t take the 1.5 Touran, (it’s apparently built and in this country on way to dealership), unless I can have guaranteed proof this problem has been addressed.

They said , they would check with service dept. and let me know but had never heard of the problem.  Read into this what you will!!

I don’t expect them to admit anything, so am not taking delivery.

Regards, Wonky

#69482 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I have carried out a little more research, it would appear Skoda  are fully aware of the problem, I have also found this like on the forum below, it would appear you are not alone.

One area of concern I have come across is VW attitudes and reluctance to except they have a problem, remember the early problems with the 2.0 tsi oil consumption camshaft chain breaking 2009 era and in particular the 1.4 which is now replaced with this 1.5 version.

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=266

#69528 Reply

Wonky

Thanks, Oscarmax,  just goes to show the info is there and we have enough brain power on here to uncover the facts.

Regards, Wonky

#70661 Reply

YK

Now we try gather people with the same problem.
    When we will be many, we will not be able to go unnoticed.

Database 1.5tsi problems car:

*** Link Removed ***

Mod Insert

YK,

I’ve removed your link as we have a duty of care for our forum members and have to err on the side of caution when links to spreadsheets like this are posted.

The spreadsheet seems to have been produced originally in Russian, 8 days ago, having only 12 entries, the first 10 all entered on the same day from different countries, within a few hours of each other.

It maybe that the spreadsheet is legit, but i hope you appreciate our members safety will always come first.

Trev

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Trev. Reason: Link Removed
    #70688 Reply

wonky

Hi all, just to keep this topic live,  my dealership is still being vague about problem and wants me to take car and see if it has the problem.

Is it me , or is that bizarre ?

Anyone else hearing of 1.5 tsi problems?

Regards,  wonky

#70689 Reply

fwipperie
    Participant

I would caution against taking delivery unless you are 100% Happy. I have had numerous problems with my X1 losing power when pulling away and noticed from a previous thread I am not the only one.

#70692 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Hi all, just to keep this topic live, my dealership is still being vague about problem and wants me to take car and see if it has the problem. Is it me , or is that bizarre ? Anyone else hearing of 1.5 tsi problems? Regards, wonky

How about they take the car and see if there is a problem, then you can try it to see if you are satisfied, why should have to take the risk and sign up 3 years for a pup. Its their problem not yours.

#70711 Reply

AlanA

I test drove the VW Tiguan 1.5tsi.

i have to say it was gutless, it was quick 0-6 use but in gear changing was made with lots of noise but no real extra accelleration.

was very disappointed, poor angina tbh

#70713 Reply

wonky

Hi AlanA, that’s interesting,  trouble is no one can test drive the Touran 1.5 tsi yet, although your experience with the same engine should be a fair comparison.

So are you comparing the performance to a 2.0 diesel? Which is the engine of choice in the Tiguan.

Regards, wonky

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 202 total)
Reply To: Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: