Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

This topic contains 202 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Philjb 3 days, 3 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #69010 Reply

Wonky

Hi all,  after months of waiting my vw Touran petrol auto is finally being built.

It was ordered and test driven as a 1.4 petrol auto but this has been replaced with the new 1.5 petrol.

Trouble is I am seeing some bad reports about this engine throughout the VW group.  Anyone have the 1.5 petrol or know anything about the problems?

Apparently the engine is very jerky and kangaroos at low speed. Any help appreciated.

Regards, Wonky

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #69223 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Don’t worry about the more expensive diesel prices as petrol will take a hit as soon as the figures come in over the next couple of years for the increase in global warming CO2 gases caused by everyone switching back to petrol.

Same goes for congestion charges, its diesels now as that’s a good “divide and rule” excuse as any but when the revenue is lower than expected because everyone change to petrol, petrol will take that hit as will all electric cars when we switch to them as these charges have nothing to do with pollution and everything to do with revenue raising.

PDF, never had any problems what so ever despite 3 diesels on Motability with that and during the winter I have several weeks on end doing less than 10 miles a day and is why I was hoping to get a Mitsubishi PHEW but it lacked space in the boot for my disability needs.

All that said I was looking forward to using the 1.5 EVO engine in my VW Touran but 9 month waiting time was way beyond what I was prepared to wait but I did suffer 5 months of waiting until I gave in.

You can’t compare a Golf with a Touran no matter what engines they have because the Touran, like the KIA Carens I have now that replace a Golf 1.4 TSi, the Touran has almost half the weight again over the Golf to pull around not to mention all the extra gear that’s likely to be in the back of a MPV for a disability needs.

I’m looking forward to seeing the performance of the new engine in the Touran once it’s on the road here and will be following closely but if you take the 1.6 TDi and the old 1.4 TSi version of the Touran there’s a lot of moans of being under power but hopefully the 1.5 will prevail.

Still, another two and a half years before I order again so the 1.5 should be well tested by then, but then, I will more than likely be looking at the performance of the PHEW of the day or maybe they will have cracked the electric range problems by then, who knows. 🤔😀

#69228 Reply

Rapster
    Participant

Totally agree Chris well said diesels are more economical on the motorway but not on a roads and in the town as for the price increase in diesel fuel how do you know Rapster it won’t increase more ? I’ve never read such rubbish 9000 miles in 3 years I’m amazed you didn’t have DPF problems and I’m sure the service manager at my VW dealer would be as well ! My nieces husband bought a year old Mercedes C Class diesel he had DPF problems from the start because he just travels to work 5 miles he had to swop for a petrol Mercedes !

I totally wish that I could go back in time and take a photo of the odometer when I handed the car back, which read (from my records) 9,163 miles. That reading was taken outside the dealership on hand back. For about the last 6 months I only covered about 800-900 miles and the majority of those were 4.2 miles to a friend’s house as I physically couldn’t work a clutch for longer journeys. The other times were along a 60mph dual carriageway and 2 motorway junctions. What you seem to think is rubbish is actually true, it doesn’t matter whether you believe it or not. 🙂 (The car in question was a Vauxhall Astra J with the 2.0L CDTI 16ohp.)

I think it matters how they’re driven mostly. I think people who baby the engine trying to extract every mile from the gallon face the most problems as temperatures don’t get hot enough, especially if you don’t drive at motorway speeds. I obviously took it on motorways enough and the other times used the engine aggressively enough for it to not need any DPF regens. I’ve only had diesel engined cars on the Motability Scheme and my current car is #5 and not once have I had a DPF light flash up.

What I said about the diesel price was that the price difference between petrol and diesel would drop, not that the price of diesel would drop.

I can’t help but wonder if VW DPF issues stem from the changes in software needed to abide by emissions rules. They wouldn’t have had time to engineer the engines cleaner so would’ve done it through software and I’ve read many complaints that people’s cars have ‘felt’ different post software updates and with a new car you wouldn’t notice the difference because the changes would’ve been at the factory before you received it.

As for diesel being dead, wait until CO2 becomes the big bad monster it is again…

#69246 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Rapster we will agree to disagree not over your 9000 miles but other facts ? If you are happy with a Diesel engine that’s great I filled the tank on my Golf last Friday done 250 miles and used a quarter of a tank I’m happy with that ! In 2 years time I will have the new shape Seat Leon hybrid it’s gorgeous

I like Magnums....

#69253 Reply

Rapster
    Participant

@mike11, you will see in the next month or two that the price of diesel will fall back in line with what it used to be in regards to petrol, only a few pence dearer than petrol. There are a couple reasons why the wholesale costs of diesel went up a lot more than petrol but these are or will be coming to an end and diesel and petrol should be back in alignment ‘Soon™’…

I think it’s more than just an efficiency debate, Mike. Lots of people, me included, much prefer the way a diesel car drives, the increased torque at lower rev ranges. Power in a petrol engine is usually spread over a much larger range thus giving the feeling of a gutless nature for diesel drivers when we are used to peak torque over a shorter range. Same power: different delivery: different experience. I suppose a lot of this is down to what you prefer as a driver and how you drive.

Which Golf have you, what’s the size of the fuel tank? 250 miles on a ¼ tank of fuel is simply amazing, even if you managed to keep at 60mph on a motorway. Good going!

#69254 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Totally agree Chris well said diesels are more economical on the motorway but not on a roads and in the town as for the price increase in diesel fuel how do you know Rapster it won’t increase more ? I’ve never read such rubbish 9000 miles in 3 years I’m amazed you didn’t have DPF problems and I’m sure the service manager at my VW dealer would be as well ! My nieces husband bought a year old Mercedes C Class diesel he had DPF problems from the start because he just travels to work 5 miles he had to swop for a petrol Mercedes !

9000 miles in 3 years, the wife has just given her Toyota to the daughter, she was doing less than 1000 – 1500 miles a year, I used to take it out a give it a good blast every now and then.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#69255 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

I’m sure the tank holds 11 gallons ? I drive in eco mode with engine switch off on auto I’m very careful and don’t do over 75 on dual carriage ways and motorways ! Totally fullthe tank holds £60 worth

I like Magnums....

#69256 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

That’s the Golf 1.5 tsi petrol dsg 130 bhp engine

I like Magnums....

#69288 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

So Mike you’re saying your golf is returning 90mpg?! (11 gallon tank, 1/4 tank = 2.75 gallons, 250 miles / 2.75 = 90.9mpg)

I have searched the internet and can’t find any golf that has 90mpg in it’s specs, not even close!

#69293 Reply

Mike

Of course I’m not getting 90 mpg lol the most I have had from a tank is 650 miles I think the needle is a bit temperamental but it’s just over a quarter done 250 miles I suppose it will move quicker next journey ?

#69305 Reply

Trev

Hi Mike11, thanks, I’m looking at the 150 bhp petrol and live in town. At present my 2.0 ltr. Diesel Alhambra auto , only gives 33 ish around town, so anything better will be good. Regards, wonky

Wonky, I’ve had the 1.4 150bhp in the Leon estate, and currently have the 2.0l petrol in the Mazda cx-5.

Do not worry about the MPG, in the 1.5 you are getting you should see a vast improvement in mpg from your current diesel – the 1.4/1.5 are simply the best petrol engines i have driven, and found the low-range torque more than adequate (i lack diesel experience to compare). Even with my current 2.0l in the big, heavy cx-5 i’m averaging 40mpg and my journeys are probably 80% 7 miles to town and back.

I reakon the 1.5 engine put in to the cx-5 would return even better mpg, as i say, simply the best petrol engines i have driven.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#69308 Reply

Wonky

Hi Trev,  very helpful, thanks. I am hovering about the 1.5 petrol Touran, I am wondering whether to stick with the Alhambra diesel and do more miles to regenerate dpf. Except for being a bit bulky sometimes in car parks it is a very comfy and competent vehicle.

Decision time!

Regards, wonky

#69309 Reply

Mike

Well said Trev how are you ? I’ve just checked online tank holds 55 litres that’s 11 gallons

#69310 Reply

Mike

Trev should I go to my seat dealer 2 years in advance to put deposit on new shape Leon hybrid out this year ? I’m serious will go up to £1500 advance payment it’s amazing

#69311 Reply

Trev

Hey Wonky, it’s only you that can decide my friend – although if you went with the Touran and found it not to your liking there would be the option of an early termination – poss £250 fee, but you would get your AP back pro-rota. Not ideal, but you won’t be stuck for options.

I’m ok thanks Mike, hope you are well?

You need to hold your horses Mike, who knows what scheme rules will be in 2 years time, especially as it will be under new leadership by then. Plus the 2019 leon will be refreshed to the 2021 model by then forwhich order books wouldn’t be open so far in advance. Enjoy looking out for the latest news and revision on the model for this year, then next year will be the time to start wetting those lips and looking to seal a deal.

One thing i would look out for on a Leon test drive is the sound insulation, you may find you much prefer the Golf – there’s not much difference at all, but when you are used to the Golf, it may bug you.

#69312 Reply

Mike

Yes I like the quietness Trev it puts me in another world of carol kirkwood Louise minchin and Esther Mcvey !,

#69319 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

If I had the choice I would have preferred petrol but had to take diesel as it was available at the time at a reasonable AP but the only reason I went back to petrol from the previous car that was a Seat Leon 1.6 TDi, the diesel engine would take an age to get any warmth into the cars cabin but was pleasantly surprised that my current diesel car produces heat in the cab as fast as my previous Golf TSi did on those short Winter journeys.

The gap between diesel and petrol now is so narrow and getting narrower and oddly enough when reading the forum about the 1.5 problem if indeed there is a problem at all, was that the stutter was caused by the way VW had changed the way the turbo-charger spools up to give the petrol engine that low rev torque that we see in diesels.

So when they do a software fix for the manual cars (DSG not affected apparently) you should have the best of both Worlds.

#69320 Reply

Georgie

In my dream that would be Carol Kirkwood and Louise Minchin holding Esther McVey’s head under in a bucket of slurry . . . for about 20 minutes . . .   >:-)

#69324 Reply

Magnum Mike
    Participant

Lol Georgie

I like Magnums....

#69335 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

In my dream that would be Carol Kirkwood and Louise Minchin holding Esther McVey’s head under in a bucket of slurry . . . for about 20 minutes . . . >:-)

Only 20 minutes

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#69336 Reply

Wonky

Hi Trev, ChrisK and others,  again helpful comments.  All my decision making problems would be solved if  I could find a 1.5 dsg Touran to try for a good day long test drive, but non are available.

I take the point of early termination option but ideally am trying to avoid this scenario.

The whole test drive issue has been mentioned by many in the past. Apart from the obvious things , like how it drives and pulls, its little things like, mirrors, parking in various situations, loading chairs ,shopping ,passengers, and much more.

It would avoid many early terminations if we were able to test the particular model for a day or two before ordering.

Regards, Wonky

#69337 Reply

Trev

Hi Wonky,

Have you spoken to motability about your concerns? They have manufacturer/dealership relationships and maybe able to source a demo vehicle for you – it’s a long shot, but by making them aware of your concerns can only be a good thing to see how the process can fail its customers in circumstances like this.

#69338 Reply

Wonky

Hi Trev, yes I have and they listened but ultimately put me back with VW and they put me back to dealership ,  who haven’t got any of the new engines yet.

The Touran I have had on order for 6 months will be one of first in country when it arrives. But letting me test it before I accept vehicle is not an option.

Catch 22!!

Regards, Wonky

#69339 Reply

stewart pettnger

could some one tell me if motability have put the vw  1.5 touran on the list

#69340 Reply

Trev

Just a thought, has the dealer a used 1.4 petrol you can test-drive, or perhaps you already have?

I would not be overly concerned if the 1.4 petrol was found to be acceptable.

#69341 Reply

stewart pettnger

could  any one tell  me if  motability have put the 1.5   touran on the  list yet

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 202 total)
Reply To: Problems with VW 1.5 tsi petrol engine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: