Prime Minister outlines his ten-point plan for a green industrial revolution

• Creator
    Topic
  • #129729 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

The Prime Minister today sets out his ambitious ten-point plan for a green industrial revolution which will create and support up to 250,000 British jobs.

Covering clean energy, transport, nature and innovative technologies, the Prime Minister’s blueprint will allow the UK to forge ahead with eradicating its contribution to climate change by 2050. This is particularly crucial in the run-up to the COP26 climate summit in Glasgow next year.

The plan – which is part of the PM’s mission to level up across the country – will mobilise £12 billion of government investment. This will create and support up to 250,000 highly-skilled green jobs in the UK, and encourage over three times as much private sector investment by 2030.

At the centre of his blueprint are the UK’s industrial heartlands, including in the North East, Yorkshire and the Humber, West Midlands, Scotland, and Wales, which will drive forward the green industrial revolution and build green jobs and industries of the future.

Talking about the plan in a statement, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: “Although this year has taken a very different path to the one we expected, I haven’t lost sight of our ambitious plans to level up across the country. My Ten Point Plan will create, support and protect hundreds of thousands of green jobs, whilst making strides towards net-zero by 2050.

“Our green industrial revolution will be powered by the wind turbines of Scotland and the North East, propelled by the electric vehicles made in the Midlands and advanced by the latest technologies developed in Wales, so we can look ahead to a more prosperous, greener future.”

Good news for electric vehicles
    Following extensive consultation with car manufacturers and sellers, the Prime Minister has confirmed that the UK will end the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2030, ten years earlier than planned. However, hybrid cars that can drive a significant distance without emitting carbon will remain until 2035. The UK car industry already manufactures a significant proportion of the electric vehicles in Europe, including the Nissan Leaf.

This will help protect and create thousands of new jobs, particularly in the Midlands, North East, and North Wales. The government will also launch a consultation on the phase-out of new diesel HGVs to put the UK in the vanguard of zero-emission freight.

These new commitments, backed by government funding, send a clear signal to industries across the British economy to invest in the UK, which is why today the Prime Minister will host a virtual roundtable with green investors to set out his ambitious plan and incentivise further private sector investment.

This marks the beginning of the UK’s path to net zero, with further plans to reduce emissions while creating jobs.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #129744 Reply
    Georgie

To be honest I take every pledge that dribbles from the mouth of our Exhausted Leader with a gritter lorry-load of salt.  He can say whatever he likes at the moment in order to look like he’s actually done something useful and distract us all from the current Brexit chaos because he knows he’ll be out by the end of Spring and looooong gone by the time we have to deal with the fallout from his ‘2030 Deadline’.

#129760 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup. Have to agree, Georgie. He’ll spout any old piffle or, in this case, very good ideas which he will never implement. His only priority is to stay in power and show everybody that it wasn’t his fault. WHATEVER it is – Coronavirus screw-ups, Brexit, mutating algorithms, dodgy advisors – it wasn’t his fault.

#129763 Reply
    Georgie

The problem is that Boris has dreamed of being PM since he was a boy.  Except, as a Classicist, he fancied himself as the Emperor Augustus, reuniting a shattered Empire after the fall of the Old Regime (the Roman Republic).  Or at the very least Marcus Aurelius, wise philosopher and last Keeper of the Pax Romanus (Roman Peace) – under whose leadership, by coincidence, 5 million people died from the Plague of Galen.

Instead he turned out to be a cross between Nero at his worst and Egalabalus at his strangest  (very fond of breaking the rules regarding his ‘relationships’ with the ladies (and other), was Egalabalus).

#129780 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Expect that Boris fancied himself as Caesar; bold, powerful and heroically reckless, heading for the Rubicon. Trouble is he can’t find out exactly where it is, let alone cross the damn thing. Even if he could he’d be on his own lacking the legions behind him. If he’d made Imperator they have called him Incompetentius.

Must find out more about Egalabalus (Elagabalus?). A bit like Verres but on a grander scale?

#129893 Reply
    Georgie

Love your bit about Boris and the Rubicon – a perfect Brexit analogy.  10 points to your Team.

The Emperor Sextus Varius Avitus Bassianus (posthumously Elagabalus) – a hormonal 14 year old bisexual who became Emperor thanks to the machinations of his grandmother, after the assassination of his cousin.

Illegitimate son of the Emperor Caracalla, he was High Priest of the god Elagabal, the Syrian Sun God.  He married 4 times, had male lovers and (allegedly) pimped himself out.  Ruled during a complicated civil war.  Finally assassinated at the age of 18 by his own Praetorian Guard – in a plot devised by the same grandmother that made him Emperor!

#129895 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Aah, the Romans. What have they ever, etc…? Sod the aqueducts and the wine et al. Aside from a wonderful, logical language used as a basis for most European speaks, there’s the history. Full of outrageously insane psychopathic rulers much given to seriously violent excesses involving poisons, stabbings, horses and murderous grandmas. Most entertaining. And those Praetorian Guards, eh? A must for any new Imperator was to give them a massive pay rise, as many vestal virgins as they could handle and anything else they asked for. Failure to do this almost always ended in a very messy early demise.

#129901 Reply
    Georgie

I know.  I love the Romans  – though, as I said to one of my Tutors – ” . . . but I’m not sure I’d want to meet any”.

After I finally had to jack work in I spent the next 8 years doing a BA on Classical History with the O.U. (Foundation course, 2 Greek, 2 Roman, a mix of short courses and then ‘Cities and Technologies – from Babylon to Singapore’).  It was still affordable back then, of course.  Once the price cap was lifted the fees more than tripled (trebled?) and that was that for the Masters.

Good to know all that the educatin of wimmin sometimes comes in useful. 😀

#129916 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

The Prime Minister today sets out his ambitious ten-point plan for a green industrial revolution which will create and support up to 250,000 British jobs. Covering clean energy, transport, nature and innovative technologies, the Prime Minister’s blueprint will allow the UK to forge ahead with eradicating its contribution to climate change by 2050. This is particularly crucial in the run-up to the COP26 climate summit in Glasgow next year. The plan – which is part of the PM’s mission to level up across the country – will mobilise £12 billion of government investment. This will create and support up to 250,000 highly-skilled green jobs in the UK, and encourage over three times as much private sector investment by 2030. At the centre of his blueprint are the UK’s industrial heartlands, including in the North East, Yorkshire and the Humber, West Midlands, Scotland, and Wales, which will drive forward the green industrial revolution and build green jobs and industries of the future. Talking about the plan in a statement, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: “Although this year has taken a very different path to the one we expected, I haven’t lost sight of our ambitious plans to level up across the country. My Ten Point Plan will create, support and protect hundreds of thousands of green jobs, whilst making strides towards net-zero by 2050. “Our green industrial revolution will be powered by the wind turbines of Scotland and the North East, propelled by the electric vehicles made in the Midlands and advanced by the latest technologies developed in Wales, so we can look ahead to a more prosperous, greener future.” Good news for electric vehicles Following extensive consultation with car manufacturers and sellers, the Prime Minister has confirmed that the UK will end the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2030, ten years earlier than planned. However, hybrid cars that can drive a significant distance without emitting carbon will remain until 2035. The UK car industry already manufactures a significant proportion of the electric vehicles in Europe, including the Nissan Leaf. This will help protect and create thousands of new jobs, particularly in the Midlands, North East, and North Wales. The government will also launch a consultation on the phase-out of new diesel HGVs to put the UK in the vanguard of zero-emission freight. These new commitments, backed by government funding, send a clear signal to industries across the British economy to invest in the UK, which is why today the Prime Minister will host a virtual roundtable with green investors to set out his ambitious plan and incentivise further private sector investment. This marks the beginning of the UK’s path to net zero, with further plans to reduce emissions while creating jobs.

600,000 heat pumps a year by 2028, you are possibly looking at £15000 to convert a small 2 bedroom house.

New properties for what they are trying to achieve will require at least

(a) triple glazing

(b) cavity insulation increases from the current 75mm to at least 150mm plus (our last build we fitted 200mm),

(c) air tightness less than 1 (our last build 1.6)

(d) solar panels

(e) block and beam floors

You are going to add at least £30,000 plus to a basic build ?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Prime Minister outlines his ten-point plan for a green industrial revolution
Your information: