Police ram runaway electric car after brakes fail on M62

• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Ele.
Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant

Full 45 minute audio interview with the driver here and he explains exactly what happens. Very scary indeed! ?

Ioniq
      Participant

Interesting indeed.

Not really tried activating the electronic handbrake when moving, gonna have to try that.

We used to do handbrake turns, reverse flips whenever we got another car, just to see how it performs.

Not tried switching off traction control yet either. Usually quite good with rear wheel drive

belfast4
        Participant

The electronic handbrake on all cars automatically releases when you drive off, as long as you have your seatbelt on. If you apply it while driving it automatically releases, as long as you have your seatbelt on.

Mossfinn
          Participant

Interesting follow up to this news. I’ve just read that a man has been arrested in connection with this incident and being questioned under suspicion of dangerous driving and causing a public nuisance.

Seems there is more to this story than first appears.

Ele
            Participant

Idiots aside there is still a very serious issue with this model

Craig Phillips: TV star shaken after Jaguar brakes fail during drive

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68514718

Participant

Interesting follow up to this news. I’ve just read that a man has been arrested in connection with this incident and being questioned under suspicion of dangerous driving and causing a public nuisance. Seems there is more to this story than first appears.

Yes, curiouser and curiouser it seems. The guy sounded pretty genuine in his interview but who knows? All very strange that’s for sure. ?

tvs
                Participant

Well the Police impounded the car, which went under a detailed inspection with technical assistance of Jaguar Land Rover. A massive concern for the brand and safety. Who’s in trouble now?

2024 - KIA EV6 GT Line AWD
                  2019 - 2024 BMW X1 2.0d X Drive Sport Auto
                  2017 -2019 Audi Q3 2.0d Quattro Sport Line Plus
                  2005 - 2017 Honda CRV Exec 2.0d

wmcforum
                  Which Mobility Car

Joe Bloggs v JLR. Hmm good luck Joe.

Participant

I didn’t even realise until now that Jaguar don’t even make the I-Pace and that it is built in Austria by the company Magna Steyr. Also, it’s shortly due to be discontinued.

Ele
                      Participant

I didn’t even realise until now that Jaguar don’t even make the I-Pace and that it is built in Austria by the company Magna Steyr. Also, it’s shortly due to be discontinued.

Poor sales/poor reliability/charging issues/and by some accounts the brakes fail to stop you may be why Jaguar are pulling the plug on it

Rich44
                        Participant

Pull the e brake it’s literally in the handbook we’ll it was in my ZS as I recall for emergency use and yes I tested it (safely) it’s an electric old school style brake not related to EV so it’s going to help regardless.

Some of those I pace have the bad battery chemistry too from what I recall in recent news something else Jaguar has refused to put right

Let’s be clear though it’s not an EV matter this can happen to any new vehicle happened to Toyota in the US I think it was and others in fact the recent 3 cylinder eco boost recall the wet timing belt breaking up destroyed oil pressure causing loss of vacuum boosted braking and caused several crashes not to mention many dead engines that ford UK has refused to acknowledge despite the US recall.

Anyway point is this scenario is terrible and frightening but we are responsible for the cars we drive so we must have a plan in case the worst happens this was why I fully read the manual and then tested emergency procedures so I knew.

Hope everyone involved is ok and the defects get rectified to prevent any further incidents

NanasRob71
                          Participant

The driver was arrested yesterday:

“Following a detailed investigation in partnership with the Merseyside Police and other authorities, we understand an individual has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and causing a public nuisance, relating to the incident on the M62 on Wednesday, March 6th.

“JLR seeks to investigate all reports of issues relating to product safety and will continue to co-operate with Merseyside Police and the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency where required.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-issue-update-arrested-m62-28817430

Will be fascinating to see what comes out of this – especially if we learn from JLR about their investigations.

Ele
                            Participant

{Will be fascinating to see what comes out of this – especially if we learn from JLR about their investigations.}

I expect Craig Phillips: TV star will be on baited breath

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.