PIP renewal backlog impacting Blue Badge Renewal

• Creator
    Topic
    EK
    Participant

Hi All

I submitted my renewal forms for PIP December November 2023 and received a text to say they have it but there’s a backlog.

My bluebadge runs out in a few weeks and I am not sure how I can renew it? Local council said to speak to PIP helpline and get a letter, PIP helpline said speak to local council as they don’t provide a letter until renewal complete.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Effkay

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

You can apply for a blue badge without using pip, you don’t have to get pip for a blue badge, it’s a long form to fill in but worth it in the end.

Bz4x fwd vision in silver

ChrisK
        Participant

Like Vinnie said you don’t need the PIP letter for BB but of course it’s a pain without it as its a simple case of automatic qualification with PIP HR.

I did an application for my Sister in Law last year who has no PIP at all but qualified with medical evidence of her not able to walk far from her doctor.

LeeBe
          Participant

Like Vinnie said you don’t need the PIP letter for BB but of course it’s a pain without it as its a simple case of automatic qualification with PIP HR.

Not any more, both my kids have a car on the scheme but can’t get a blue badge, even though one of them has had one previously.

EK
            Participant

Thank you all

I just applied through non pip route. Didn’t know it existed.

Let’s see what they come back with

DumfriesDik
              Participant

I hate the renewal process and how frequent it is.

I hope it comes through okay for you.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Participant

Thank you all I just applied through non pip route. Didn’t know it existed. Let’s see what they come back with

My current badge was through the non pip route. Got 5 years on it when it came through. Went 9 years without one as didn’t know it was a thing.

I like sitting outside RAF bases all day pretending to be a photogramapher

Rich44
                  Participant

Yeah the PIP qualifier for Blue badges isn’t high rate itself its:

A score of 8 points or more in moving around (cannot walk 50m)

Or

10 points under planning and following journeys

I think the confusion comes from DLA qualifier which is high rate mobility, this isn’t the case under PIP.

I had similar I emailed my MP as it had been 6 months since I sent the paperwork in and they hadn’t even looked at it. He hot it done within a week straight forward renewal. However doing that probably isn’t going to help right now, obviously.

They could fix all this backlog by just giving out decent length awards to those who aren’t going to get better or for whom there is no treatment ffs.

ChrisK
                    Participant

Not any more, both my kids have a car on the scheme but can’t get a blue badge, even though one of them has had one previously.

That’s odd because this is how my local council word their application form though its a little bit out of date because it still only mentions DLA but that’s councils for you but this is the first line of the form….

You automatically qualify if:
                      you receive the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance

ChrisK
                      Participant

Yeah the PIP qualifier for Blue badges isn’t high rate itself its: A score of 8 points or more in moving around (cannot walk 50m) Or 10 points under planning and following journeys I think the confusion comes from DLA qualifier which is high rate mobility, this isn’t the case under PIP. I had similar I emailed my MP as it had been 6 months since I sent the paperwork in and they hadn’t even looked at it. He hot it done within a week straight forward renewal. However doing that probably isn’t going to help right now, obviously. They could fix all this backlog by just giving out decent length awards to those who aren’t going to get better or for whom there is no treatment ffs.

Sorry Rich44 we both posted at the same time but sure, its confusing with the HR application. Going back to the original post my S-i-L doesn’t have any DLA or PIP but her application was accepted on medical evidence.

LeeBe
                        Participant

That’s odd because this is how my local council word their application form though its a little bit out of date because it still only mentions DLA but that’s councils for you but this is the first line of the form…. You automatically qualify if: you receive the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance

On our local council website it also says

“In receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with a score of exactly 10 points for the ‘Planning and Following a Journey’ section”

since both my sons had more than 10 points they were refused…

Rich44
                          Participant

That can’t be right, someone’s screwed up there if you’ve more points your needs are higher ffs. I would query that because someone’s made a mess of that

Participant

I never knew about the 10 points part. That’s crazy.

from gov.uk

“If you have any score other than 10 points under descriptor E, in the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity of PIP you may still be eligible for a Blue Badge, but you do not automatically qualify. This includes if you have a higher score of 12. You will have to provide evidence to demonstrate your eligibility which will be assessed as part of your application.”

Link for eligibility criteria https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-can-i-get-one/can-i-get-a-blue-badge#people-who-automatically-get-a-blue-badge

I like sitting outside RAF bases all day pretending to be a photogramapher

swwchris
                              Participant

Sounds like a lot of confusion!! Generally speaking having PIP Mobility Enhanced is not an automatic route to having a blue badge. If a person has PIP because they scored 12 in the ‘Moving Around’ category a blue badge is automatic but NOT in the ‘Planning and Following a Journey’ category.

This does not mean you cannot get a blue badge, but to do so you have to fill out an application form.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by swwchris.
                              Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.