PIP Motability scheme scotland

• Creator
    Topic
  • #154893 Reply
    Ian Price

Just been reading an article from the daily record. It would appear, if I am reading it right that the Scottish government are making changes to PIP which will include setting up their own car leasing scheme the same as motability. Those currently with motability can continue until the end of their contract, but will then have to lease via the new scheme.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #154896 Reply
    Tim

Seems a bit pointless to me as the UK already has a national scheme.

#154901 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Just been reading an article from the daily record. It would appear, if I am reading it right that the Scottish government are making changes to PIP which will include setting up their own car leasing scheme the same as motability. Those currently with motability can continue until the end of their contract, but will then have to lease via the new scheme.

The Scottish Government last year apppointed Motability to be the ‘accredited supplier’ of cars, wheelchair accessible vehicles, scooters and powered wheelchairs to the new Scottish Government disability scheme:

https://www.gov.scot/news/vehicles-to-meet-disabled-peoples-needs/

An update on disability assistance payments in Scotland

So, basically it will be business as usual on that front.

#154902 Reply
    Ian Price

This what the daily record quoted. Which gives the impression that they are setting up their own scheme. Maybe the paper works with the daily mail?

This new Scottish scheme will provide a service similar to the current Motability scheme, with a range of cars, wheelchair accessible vehicles, scooters and powered wheelchairs on affordable leasing terms, with a range of adaptations at little or no cost.

Clients who have an existing Motability lease will be able to retain their vehicle until the end of that lease.

#154903 Reply
    Noel
    Participant

Surely they cant have different cars and prices, or people would just cross the border to order, unless you had to go by your postcode and only order in the country you live in.

#154908 Reply
    Tim

We all live in the UK with one scheme. This is divisive nationalism nonsense that serves no real purpose for scheme users. Does Westminster have to fork over yet more funds for the SNP to mismanage away?

#154922 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I think the Scottish Government (and I hold no truck for them) are trying to make their replacement for DLA and PIP less onerous. It is a devolved responsibility they have only now adopted.

Noel, I think it’s unlikely they would have different cars and prices but if they did I don’t see any complication.¬† You would qualify for the Scottish scheme because you live in Scotland and there is no technical reason a car dealer in England shouldn’t take part in a Scottish scheme.

#154943 Reply
    Noel
    Participant

Haha, I’m in England, although that far North might as well be Scotland, that’s why I was mentioning the possible differnences, coz I’d just drive over the border to get a car, if wasn’t available or if cheaper.

I think Northern Irish scheme users have to buy from a Northern Irish dealer as the plates are different to rest of the Mainland, so they possibly could make you order in your home country.

#154947 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Noel, you couldn’t drive over the border to get a car cheaper or one that wasn’t available in England. Wherever you go the current Mobility scheme and it’s prices will apply. If the Scottish equivalent of Motability has any different offers it will only apply to people living in Scotland getting a mobility allowance under the Scottish scheme

#154957 Reply
    Gary

I wouldnt be surprised to see better deals on the Scottish version, as it would probably be managed by their government, rather than a profit making company.

#154958 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Profit, Gary, profit? Motability is a not for profit business you know

#154960 Reply
    Gary

Maybe not, but they maintain a profit so they have “headroom”

#154962 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Its all clickbait really, we had already received a letter/pamphlet from Scot Gov telling us of the changes and how the new scheme would work, it arrived last year…The only bit they missed out on was the new contract would also be with Motability as they had yet to award it (but it was pretty much a foregone conclusion), so very much as case of nothing to see here.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: PIP Motability scheme scotland
Your information: