Pick my X1 next week but unsure if it’s suitable anymore?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #173381 Reply
    RachelK

Hi you lovely people!

I hope I don’t sound ungrateful but i’m worried that my next car – BMW X1, might not be entirely suitable anymore. I will explain why.

I had the test drive in August 2021 (driven by my Uncle as I need adaptations).  The test drive was in a 2018 X- line 18d X1, which was the same engine apparently. I’ve since read that some of the features that are on the 2018 model are not on the  2021 model that would have been useful. Such as: rear folding seats which you could push a button to release them. Rear reclining/tilt seats, the shape of the front seats has apparently changed and the lumbar support and leg extension removed.

Also, I know that the rear view camera was an additional extra payment but I couldn’t have it due to chip shortages.

The reason that this concerns me more now is because i’ve been recently told by my GP that I have now also got Paresthesia, early Osteoarthritis in my neck, shoulders and left hip and knee so a car with a reverse camera and lumbar support would have been very helpful.

I know that the BMW is a lovely car but i’m worried that it won’t be comfortable to drive, other than for short journeys. The problem is that Motability told me that I HAD to choose a car by the last quarter as my current car – an Audi Q3, is almost 6 years old. I have kept that for so long as i’ve struggled to find anything else that  was suitable and I struggle to find anyone to test drive the cars with me.

What happens if I get the car and find it’s not suitable anymore? can I change it for something that is if I find it’s not suitable due to pain/discomfort?

Sorry if I’ve confused anyone, I’ve had a  CVA (stroke) and have Hypoxic Brain damage so can get confused at times!

Thanks in advance,

Rachel.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #173383 Reply
    Dante

You are right to raise your concerns & very valid & if you feel the X1 no longer for you then contact motsbility & explain – the rationale is very clear with the changes medically  and would no doubt constitute the ability to cancel order / place a few order. Good luck with whatever you decide. Albeit as reiterated on many a post until inputting the pin on pick up day, one can still change one’s mind.

i do think it odd, and imho, very bad practice that the dealership provided you with a 2018 model & not a 2021 model to test drive last august – totally unacceptable.

obv the issues now if you cancel / refuse the X1 – as well documented on the forum the low numbers of cars in the scheme now, the very long lead in times for delivery & the ever increasing / extortionate / disproportionate Advance Payments being asked !!!

best of luck – keep us posted

#173386 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i guess if you find it really unsuitable, you should be able to agree with motability to be able to change it early. at least meantime you will have a car to run, as replacements will take quite a while anyway.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#173393 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi Rachel. Firstly, I’m so sorry to hear of your new diagnosis which, on top of your existing issues, is undoubtedly a great frustration for you. I can’t answer your question as to the suitability of the car, but can answer the questions about specification changes and changing circumstances.

It is indeed true that the spec has changed since the 2018 model and a few things have been removed. However, considerably more things have been added (around £2,500 worth when I totted it up), so overall it’s a far better car equipment wise than it was 3 years ago. Plus, of course, the 2020 facelift improved interior trim quality and overall appearance, although it lacks the digital dashboard that newer models have (an all new model is due out later this year, but may not even make it onto Motability the way that things are going).

The rear seats no longer have the adjustable seat base and remote fold, but the rear seat back angle is still adjustable. My wife has a wheelchair and we can get it in the boot even with the rear seat backs reclined, which we couldn’t do in our previous Tiguan unless we rolled the rear seats forward. The X1 also has a massive and deep ‘second boot’ under the boot floor which isn’t included in the stated cubic square metres. Again, we had no such addition in the Tiguan. So, size and usage wise, the boot is fantastic and the seat backs are dead easy to drop down manually and no harder than putting them back up manually which, keep in mind, you still have to do in cars with remote folding!

The standard front seat has indeed changed, but for the better. It’s now slightly bigger and gives a bit more support, but it isn’t great TBH. However, to get extendable under thigh support you have to have the Sports Seats (which we opted for) and that was also the case in 2018, so nothing has been lost there. Lumbar support is an option on both standard and sport seats. I don’t think it was standard in 2018 either but I’m not 100% sure of that – someone else may confirm.

We have a rear view camera on our X1 but it came as part of an option pack that we added. It isn’t standard. The all round parking sensors are excellent though, as is the self parking feature.

Obviously none of us can say whether or not the car will be suitable for you, but I have no doubt that if you take delivery and find that it’s not suitable for you then Motability will allow you to terminate early and order something else. They are very accommodating about things like this, especially as you now have new and additional health issues. Others on this forum have managed to get early terminations for far less worthy reasons.

Given the appalling choice on the scheme at present, in your situation I would definitely take delivery of the car and see how you get on with it. You never know, it might be fine. If not, call Motability and explain that it’s problematic. Just keep in mind that almost all cars will take a very long time to come now and there is nothing left on the scheme now that is even close to what you currently have on order IMHO.

#173396 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Hi Rachel, I have helped a lots friends with their test drives over the years and would gladly offer the same for you but we’re probably way too far apart and I suffer from Cardiac Hypoxic Brain Injury from my heart attack in 2011 and my short term memory is on a par with a Goldfish so would need reminding a dozen times to turn up on time, given that my offer still stands 👍😁

#173457 Reply
    Andy Wood

just got our xline X1 the week before Xmas.

The seats in the xline model are really comfy , we find them miles more comfortable than the seats in the sport or msport models, sure they would be fine

The parking sensors are excellent, I don’t find I need to turn my neck at all as you can see what’s going on with the wing mirrors and central display.

as for parallel parking you just press a button and the X1 parks itself you just switch between forward and reverse and press the brake when it tells you, really couldn’t be easier and definitely saves your neck.

boot space is good, you pull a hoop on seat base to lower seats rather than a handle in the boot, really easy to use, they do tilt etc. don’t think their is anything with a bigger boot on mobility at the moment, it’s a good square shape too if you need to load scooters chairs etc.

at the 2020 advance payment of 2600 or so I think it beats anything else on the scheme hands down, in fact compared to the current list it’s a absolute bargain. Hope you find it as comfortable as we do as I am certain you won’t currently find anything that even comes remotely close in terms of comfort, space and value

#173462 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

just got our xline X1 the week before Xmas. The seats in the xline model are really comfy , we find them miles more comfortable than the seats in the sport or msport models, sure they would be fine The parking sensors are excellent, I don’t find I need to turn my neck at all as you can see what’s going on with the wing mirrors and central display. as for parallel parking you just press a button and the X1 parks itself you just switch between forward and reverse and press the brake when it tells you, really couldn’t be easier and definitely saves your neck. boot space is good, you pull a hoop on seat base to lower seats rather than a handle in the boot, really easy to use, they do tilt etc. don’t think their is anything with a bigger boot on mobility at the moment, it’s a good square shape too if you need to load scooters chairs etc. at the 2020 advance payment of 2600 or so I think it beats anything else on the scheme hands down, in fact compared to the current list it’s a absolute bargain. Hope you find it as comfortable as we do as I am certain you won’t currently find anything that even comes remotely close in terms of comfort, space and value

That’s good that you find the standard seats OK Andy as that’s what Rachel ordered. We had a lot of debate about the seats. We had two prolonged test drives in X1’s. The first was in an xLine with standard seats. I found them to be just about ‘ok’ but they needed a bit more under thigh support and lacked a tilt upwards when on lower settings (I’m tall). My wife found them to be terrible and said that even after an hour she was very uncomfortable.

As a result, we had a second full day test drive in an M-Sport to try out the sport seats. I have had loads of BMW’s but never been a fan of sports seats as being a heavy guy with sciatica I like a softer seat. My wife found the sport seats to be massively more comfortable and as she is disabled I decided to add them to the order, but then spent 4 months worrying that I might struggle with them myself!

Anyway, we are almost 6 months into the car now and I have to say that I am finding the sport seats to be great. I don’t notice them being firm now and the longer under thigh support, adjustable side bolsters and tilt function have allowed me to find the perfect driving position. We’ve done some very long journeys and are both supremely comfortable, even though we are vastly different heights and weights! In fact, having sweated that I might regret adding them to the order, I wouldn’t order another BMW without them now! Funny how we are all different!

Agree with all your other comments about the X1. My wife isn’t as keen on BMW’s as me (in fact she’s often said she’s not a fan of them) but of the 7 cars on our short list even she agreed that none of the others came close. Even with all the option packs and extras that we added (albeit with a big discount off the options and the AP) the total price we paid would be an absolute bargain now. It feels as though we got a premium car for a budget price. Changing today we are faced with budget cars at premium prices! What a difference a year makes!

#173471 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

i guess if you find it really unsuitable, you should be able to agree with motability to be able to change it early. at least meantime you will have a car to run, as replacements will take quite a while anyway.

Sounds like a good plan.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#173524 Reply
    Rene

With all the (justified) criticism Motability currently receives, one thing they do inarguably well: accommodate your (changing) needs.

We cancelled our running contract early because the seats (in conjunction with the proper firm suspension) were just getting too uncomfortable for my wife – this was done within 5 minutes in a phone call that wasn’t even placed for cancelling the contract in the first place. The guy just said “so you mentioned as an aside, the current car is too uncomfortable for the customer – would you like to leave the contract early and order a replacement immediately?” (the call was originally for asking something in regards to a charger). To which i said “uhm, well technically, sure” – and the next day we ordered a replacement car.

So i wouldn’t get too concerned about whether the car is 100% – if it isn’t, you have options.

#173579 Reply
    RachelK

Thanks too Andy Wood and Rene, I guess I should just stop worrying and wait until I get it and see how I get on.

Andy, It’s good to hear that manage well just using the mirrors and parking sensors, without the need to move your neck too much. Hopefully I will be the same. I’d also forgotten that it has the function to help with parallel parking, I’ve just about mastered it after 30 years driving and at the age of 47 ha ha!!!

Rene – I was concerned that Motability wouldn’t let me cancel and re-order if its early on in the contract so it’s helpful to know that there are options if I find it is unsuitable. I’ve had my Audi since April 2016 and Motability made it clear to me that I needed to choose something fast or alternatively, leave the scheme. Thank goodness the X1 was still available when I ordered as the choice of well equipped SUV’s is very limited now.

Thanks once again everyone for sharing your knowledge and helpful input, I’m an only child so it feels like asking the big brothers or sisters you never had – ha ha!

#174402 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

@RachelK – Did you take delivery of your X1 and, if so, how are you getting on with it given your concerns?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Pick my X1 next week but unsure if it’s suitable anymore?
Your information: