PHEV/EV no off road parking

• Creator
    Topic
  • #121379 Reply
    Shaun

just wondering if any one drives a PHEV/EV but doesn’t have off road parking at their home? Is it still a cheaper or more efficient situation, how do you get round it and so on?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #121382 Reply
    martino
    Participant

i always speak to EVdrivers when i can to see what they think of them.

i spoke to someone with BMW i3  he said he had had the car a year did 10000 miles ish and  he had never charged at the house he just used public chargers all the time , so here in Scotland free charging

#121397 Reply
    shaun

That’s interesting as I am considering a PHEV, as think it would better suit my lifestyle don’t think I’m quite ready for full EV yet, nor is there one suitable although they are getting there quicker than I thought they would. As to free charging in Scotland, I must be missing something cause all the charge points around me cost, not that I mind

#121481 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

The idea with the PHEV is that you charge it at home and/or work so that your commute is mainly electric, you could do the same with supermarket trips if they have the charge posts. Remember that PHEVs don’t rapid DC charge.

With the much greater storage capacity of the EV it becomes possible to DC charge substantial amounts in a short time so it would be possible to live without the home charger in most places, but the benefit of the home charger is the convenience, adding that odd 40% here & there so the car is left with an 80 to 90% charge, ready to go. The slow charge to full occasionally for the battery balancing will be a bind without the home charger but it’s still possible.

Some councils are adding lamppost charging, some are adding a few charging posts, find out if your council is providing charge points, if they are you could be using them to charge up instead of needing that home charger.

#121532 Reply
    Shaun

Thanks for the input. This was my dilemma,  as I don’t have of road parking as I live in a townhouse, so only on street available.  Will approach council and see what they are offering/doing currently. Dont think a full EV would suit my current location and lifestyle, currently

#121533 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Thanks for the input. This was my dilemma, as I don’t have of road parking as I live in a townhouse, so only on street available. Will approach council and see what they are offering/doing currently. Dont think a full EV would suit my current location and lifestyle, currently

Shaun have you considered one of Toyota hybrid range they are surprisingly economical, I have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV on pure petrol mode you are looking around 35/37 mpg, were as the similar size Toyota RV4 is around 45/50 mpg, the smaller Toyota’s around 60/65 mpg plus.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#121536 Reply
    shaun

hi. hey are on my radar as well as the honda crv, plus other mild hybrids. just exploring all the options

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: PHEV/EV no off road parking
Your information: