Phasing out petrol and diesel cars

• Creator
    Topic
  • #157671 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

PM asked in Parliament:

“When you phase out petrol and diesel we will lose over £28 Billion in fuel duty – what are your plans to replace this loss of revenue?”

answer:

Well yeeer arrrhh that is a very good question – waffle on a bit about nothing – end up with ‘I’ve asked the Chancellor to sort that out but we must make sure the public are not having to pay higher bills’

Magic!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #157674 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

It’s inevitable that when this country moves wholesale to new electric vehicles they will tax them somehow, via a variety of options, Evs are very attractive now, with low running costs, but this golden era won’t last forever when you are left with no alternative new choices

#157678 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Agree, inevitably as less petrol and diesel are needed, then the price of those fuels will rise, so that will make up a bit of the losses, but tiny in comparison.

It’s also difficult to see how they could make it up on domestic electricity, maybe change the VAT rate from 5-20%, but I doubt that.

They can tax all the other chargers though for sure, they could increase VED, they could make it rated on your previous years milage, they could introduce road tolls, the options are endless, but it will happen, it has to.

At the moment EV’s are super cheap to operate, but it will come to an end, VED will be first is my guess

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#157684 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

By the time it’s necessary, cars will be taxed per mile travelled using the built in telemetrics already in new cars But of course that won’t mean higher bills. According to Boris.

#157694 Reply
    ajn

Wow

#157828 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Yup, I foresee all cars taxed per mile, on top of any other fuel costs.

The extra costs to owners waffled away by “saving the planet” rhetoric, “Net Zero” is the latest wheeze. No discount on fuel cost, electric, petrol or diesel. VED rates raised on electric to same levels as other cars to match their purchase price or size. Rapid chargers more expensive than petrol (close to happening already).

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#157829 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

And its already being done in other countries, so they know they can get it to work (Singapore since 1975, NZ for trucks and diesels & in Europe for trucks).

Best of all, as vehicles get more economical, the tax does not decrease! win, win say MP’s.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#157834 Reply
    ajn

Would there still be track days in years to come for petrol/diesel cars, trucks, motorbikes, or off roading for enthusiasts, 👍 will it be illegal to own or even THINK about them…🙄

The them and us attitude will be strange I guess, causing vandalism to cars maybe.

Im mean we seen some strange attitudes on here on the subject, and it’s way off track for everyone at the moment..😳

Fur coat sort of thing..🥴

#157836 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Sure to be track days! I can still drive a steam train. Toot toot.

#157842 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

By the time it’s necessary, cars will be taxed per mile travelled using the built in telemetrics already in new cars But of course that won’t mean higher bills. According to Boris.

Just a thought would Motability cars be exempt /, just a thought.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#157843 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Well, no. It’ll be a replacement for fuel duty which everyone currently pays.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Reply #157694 in Phasing out petrol and diesel cars
Your information: