Petrol and diesel prices

• Creator
    Topic
  • #184972 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

My local is charging £1.77 for diesel and £1.61 for petrol. That’s a 16 pence per litre difference or nearly 73 pence per gallon.

How and why?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #184973 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I just read this:

According to the RAC’s Fuel Watch service, the wholesale price of diesel is currently around 71p per litre, compared to 62p per litre for petrol. On top of that, delivery and oil company costs are around 0.4p per litre more for diesel and biofuel additives cost 6p per litre more for diesel than petrol.

#184975 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

I paid £1.59 yesterday at my local Asda for a litre of petrol. From memory diesel was £1.73, although I still believe there is an argument for diesel if you do the miles.

Incidentally, I can remember when a gallon of 4 star was 72p

#184978 Reply
    Rene

Same prices here at local Asda. In Cardiff Leckwith 1.69 petrol, 1.83 diesel.

#184982 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Because we no longer refine oil into fuel in this country. We buy it in as fuel. And one of the main suppliers of diesel oil is/was Russia.  So the law of supply and demand pushes up world prices…

#184983 Reply
    Belfast4

Yet during the pandemic fuel was below £1.00 a litre they couldn’t give the barrels of oil away cheap enough.

#184985 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Perfectly demonstrating the law of supply and demand!

#184986 Reply
    Dave147
    Participant

Not quite correct there wigwam. The Valero refinery in Pembroke where I live still refine crude oil into many types of fuel including petrol and diesel.

#184987 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Not quite correct there wigwam. The Valero refinery in Pembroke where I live still refine crude oil into many types of fuel including petrol and diesel.

Is it on the old Milford Haven site.

#184990 Reply
    Dave147
    Participant

Hi kezo, it’s on the southern side of the haven , the Pembroke side, the Milford refinery was Esso, and Amaco, . I worked on most of them in the 70s and 80s and I can tell you that the Valero site ( Texaco then ) was the coldest place to be on a winters day with the wind blowing right through you. I hated it lol. The money was good though.

#184991 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Because we no longer refine oil into fuel in this country. We buy it in as fuel. And one of the main suppliers of diesel oil is/was Russia. So the law of supply and demand pushes up world prices…

I thought we had 6/7 refineries around the UK that produce the bulk of petrol we use and about half the diesel we use.

#184992 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Hi kezo, it’s on the southern side of the haven , the Pembroke side, the Milford refinery was Esso, and Amaco, . I worked on most of them in the 70s and 80s and I can tell you that the Valero site ( Texaco then ) was the coldest place to be on a winters day with the wind blowing right through you. I hated it lol. The money was good though.

I can imagine it been bitter cold Dave, due to there locations.

So the Haven site still remains closed.

#184994 Reply
    Dave147
    Participant

The milford refineries have been closed for many years now, although the old Esso site is now a large LNG storage and distribution terminal.

#185010 Reply
    Dragonfly

1.68 for diesel this morning at Costco

#185032 Reply
    Winston
    Participant

Just filled up today…

first time I’ve ever handed over 100 quid at a petrol station

ah well 🫣🤣

• This reply was modified 4 days, 9 hours ago by Winston.

When life hands you melons...,
    Make melonade!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Petrol and diesel prices
Your information: