people don't take a Motability Car as they need the money for heating & bills

• Creator
    Topic
  • #121716 Reply
    martino
    Participant

lots of people struggle to survive especially if your living on benefit and if your disabled its even harder, i know 3 people that have handed there cars back because they need their PIP money to pay everyday household bills.

I  just wounder how many do without the so needed motability car to get out and about just to pay bills like heating & house bills and food .

has any dune that or maybe thought about doing that , not having a car so you can survive

I have thought about it a lot, to save money , ( i do not think i’m alone)  but when i did go out how much would i spend on taxi

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #121717 Reply
    paul

i guess this has crossed alot of peoples mind during lockdown, also since lockdown was lifted ive used my car a lot less than before,last time i used was 5 days ago as i write this.

But sods law day after i give it back an emergency would happen and i would regret it.

Guess peice of mind is priceless .

#121718 Reply
    JS

martino i dont understand the constant negative posts, not everyone is the same, pre lock down alot of people dont get to use the car as often as they would like to, its the nature of the beastdue to lots of variables but even with a modest AP we tend to set a limit, and personally with the allowance  plus the Ap taken over a 3 year period we are happy to pay the £10.67 a day even if the car sits there not being used as those times it does makes life so much easier plus where we live a taxi just to the nearest shop or doctors would be a £20 taxi fare, we can if we choose to order next quarter and if we do i may up the self imposed limit because it suits us, everyone is different depending on needs, requirements,funds etc but it is a choice and for the 6 to 8000 a year miles we do im happy to spend all in around £10 a day(cheaper if you dont pay an AP) for peace of mind and having that vehicle sat there for day to day use plus the “just in case” situation. if people are fortunate to not need that security blanket and live within good transport options then yes it may be classed as wasting money, but for most even that one time at 2am with no public transport or taxi company available should it be needed makes it worthwhile. on another note if you are not using your vehicle and dont think you are getting value, you can always hand back your vehicle and look into local council transport and vullentry groups for such things as hospital visits/shopping/chemist/and even days out, the allowance is there to use how best see fit no is tied to having a vehicle through the scheme.

#121720 Reply
    Brydo

I think you both make good points.

The majority of people eligible for a motability vehicle choose not to take one. Now we don’t know why, maybe as martino says it’s to use the money to pay the bills, maybe they can’t drive or don’t need a car.

It is a choice the 1,500,000 people entitled to the The allowance make every year.

Life can be very difficult in general but even more so for the ill, disabled and vulnerable so I do think it’s a valid point martino raises and something definitely worth discussing 👍

#121724 Reply
    jamesg

JS  love  you to bits  but  martino s   Post  is  reality  people really  have to make that decision .  It.s  been a long  lockdown  me  personally  would  would  read martinos  thread  rather than any of the numerous  XC-40 Posts .

#121725 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Well said James totally agree in fact I’ve just saw a XC 40 in red with a white roof in Tesco carpark looked terrible thought it was an ice cream van

#121729 Reply
    jamesg

Mike  could  have  done with an  ice  cream van  last  few  days.

#121730 Reply
    Chefthe1

I think there is a well being factor to of just getting out in the car and going for a drive I know it’s good for my mental health. If I had no car I would just look out the same window every day.

#121731 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Yes I love my car and driving to get out is such a bonus I’m 54 now so not into speed 0 to 60 secs etc I just love driving with radio 2 on air con nice and cool it’s great to visit friends and relatives

#121732 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

We used to buy our own cars and put the Motability money in the bank, but that was through personnel choice. Then you have to look at people who live in cities like London, there is a good transport system and driving is a nightmare,(I have never lived in a city or London).

It is not compulsory to spend you Motability component on a car, it there financial to get you about.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#121733 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

It’s a position that I think of often.

Without the worry free means of transport that Motability provides, I don’t doubt that I’d have breakdowns, etc as a real worry. As I become less and less mobile, the feeling of being trapped is difficult to live with but Motability nibbles away at that fear, providing some security. Common sense tells me to cling on to it for as long as possible.

Now then………
    James, Mike. I’m sooo sorry, the car I’ve just ordered offends you both. I had no idea. 😐

At least let me get it before you lay in to it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

All I can say is that if you both want to join a night class for style-a-phobes, I’ll be running one at a church hall near you soon and online at http://www.ItsTimeToCutThatMullet.com

😘

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#121734 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Wayne have you had the red with white roof ? !!

#121738 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Mike, I haven’t.
    My witty riposte was regarding you agreeing with James. 🤪

#121742 Reply
    jamesg

Wayne  the Volvo  is known as a work horse .  Going  round  the world a few times  but  never for style!Your post mentions  style  with the  free  pair of sandals  you get with every  Volvo will you be  a with socks  or without, with  white  beard .lol  Wait  till the  rest  of the old cronies wake up.

#121744 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

😂🤣

Apparently, Volvo only supply one sandal now to match them only supplying one key with the car. Sandal no.2 is an optional extra! 😂

#121745 Reply
    martino
    Participant

@JS I’m sorry you feel my posts are constant negative posts, and yes i know not everyone is the same. i have had a new motability lease every 3 years since i was 17 i now 54 so i have had a few.

I enjoy this forum a lot i come on 6/7 times a day. But a lot of time when I have came on (and no disrespect meant to anyone at all) to read exiting and controversial topics / post, i see  posts about extras on car although interesting iv read it all, or about cars that are coming out at a ridiculously high price that has no chance of coming on to motability then my hopes are put up.

when i first stared  on this forum i would just read the various posts for a long time , then I decided i could comment on that,  in fact i could post an interesting topic people would hopefully enjoy putting their own input on.

As for my posts are constant negative posts, JS you are probably correct , life is not always rosy and sweat for a lot of people especially with disabilities or constant pain or illness people having DLA for life then having to apply for PIP and not getting any award and then that making their life even harder .

Their various ages on this forum and different age groups do different things ,and look at life very differently  older people only use their car once a week to go 4 miles to Asda and home again. Then there are other people with children young or teenagers and they take the children here there and everywhere, all the time to clubs , friends house ect and pick them up  they end up doing the 20k miles a year, Everyone’s life is different.

I  could just put up posts saying ”look as I was skipping (if i could skip) through meadow today i seen a shinny red car that’s so exciting , please comment”

I’m 54 and i think i look at life very cynically, in fact my wife calls me victor, as she said im exactly like victor meldrew from one foot in the grave.

If I upset anyone ,,  I’M SORRY

#121747 Reply
    jamesg

Yes  Wayne  apparently  at  one  time  you could  only  get  the  sandals  in black but now do them in  all colours.

#121751 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

@JS I’m sorry you feel my posts are constant negative posts, and yes i know not everyone is the same. i have had a new motability lease every 3 years since i was 17 i now 54 so i have had a few. I enjoy this forum a lot i come on 6/7 times a day. But a lot of time when I have came on (and no disrespect meant to anyone at all) to read exiting and controversial topics / post, i see posts about extras on car although interesting iv read it all, or about cars that are coming out at a ridiculously high price that has no chance of coming on to motability then my hopes are put up. when i first stared on this forum i would just read the various posts for a long time , then I decided i could comment on that, in fact i could post an interesting topic people would hopefully enjoy putting their own input on. As for my posts are constant negative posts, JS you are probably correct , life is not always rosy and sweat for a lot of people especially with disabilities or constant pain or illness people having DLA for life then having to apply for PIP and not getting any award and then that making their life even harder . Their various ages on this forum and different age groups do different things ,and look at life very differently older people only use their car once a week to go 4 miles to Asda and home again. Then there are other people with children young or teenagers and they take the children here there and everywhere, all the time to clubs , friends house ect and pick them up they end up doing the 20k miles a year, Everyone’s life is different. I could just put up posts saying ”look as I was skipping (if i could skip) through meadow today i seen a shinny red car that’s so exciting , please comment” I’m 54 and i think i look at life very cynically, in fact my wife calls me victor, as she said im exactly like victor meldrew from one foot in the grave. If I upset anyone ,, I’M SORRY

Martino stop talking yourself down, just look at the good things in life and everything in a positive way, if start thinking and talking negative you will start to believe it, and as you are finding out people will avoid you, your own wife is calling you Victor Meldrew ?.

You are only 54 you need to change your mindset, give you wife a big kiss and tell what do fancy doing today.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#121752 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Well said oscarmax good advise

#121754 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

James, I know. It’s great. Now if only they could put back all the bits they’ve taken off, it’d be even better  🤣😂

Martino, at practically the same age as you, I know exactly what you mean. Having battled for so long in the able world and suffered bullying (some actual and some attempted ……Ahem), bias, pity, etc, you can’t help but become cynical. Add to this a constant worry, and it is constant, that at any time the PIP lifeline could be ripped from you, and it can be disheartening to say the least. A consoling thought is that similar minds are here on this forum and share their stories with others who understand.
    Sometimes life can be dark and when it is, I’d like to think we can lean on one another here to brighten our troubles.
    So when it’s shining, share the sunny days here also.
    👍👍

I think I may have had a tad too much morphine to be this philosophical.
    Elvis? Is that you?

#121787 Reply
    JS

martino no Sorry needed, my post was not meant to read as a slur or ticking off towards you, more as oscarmax has read it, as im not a negitive person it should simply read as “i dont understand the reason for constant negitive  posts but”

and i certainly think you have a valid point and the topic should be discussed, thats the reason i added our personal way we look at it in support of the thread.

ps victor meldrew has always made me laugh, chin up buddy and sorry for any cofusion or upset caused

#121790 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Victor Meldrew is nothing, my wife calls me ‘Knob Head’ then laughs at me.

#121792 Reply
    Carl Williams

I do feel for people, obviously a roof over one’s head and food on the table is more important than a mobility car.   If you are in this group then remember there are many support services available to all people including disabled folks.  Food banks, council disability services, debt advice.   Please don’t suffer in silence and seek help!

For many a car allows freedom in your life and is definitely good for mental health.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: people don't take a Motability Car as they need the money for heating & bills
Your information: