Ordered Kia Sportage 48v GT-LINE S auto AWD

• Creator
    Topic
  • #184430 Reply
    lab
    Participant

As title states just ordered Kia Sportage petrol 48v GT-Line S AWD in blue flame, I was concerned the grant may not have covered the full AP of £3,299, needn’t have worried was approved and received letter within two days, emailed it to dealer Saturday. The electric memory seats will be a huge help really struggling with manual adjustment, they are heated and ventilated as well, this model also has the powered tailgate.

Shame the hybrids were removed, I was concerned all sportage models would come off before I could order one. The rep was a nice guy, said delivery could be August/September to be honest not really bothered about waiting, just nice to know we have finally got a car booked.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #184431 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Having driven the FHEV, i don’t think you’re missing out too much.

We managed low 40s, less than with our current 1.5 TSI, driven conservatively. I’m not sure that you could recuperate the increase in AP through savings in petrol, it just isn’t that frugal.

If we had gone for a Sportage, it’d been either the MHEV or the PHEV, FHEVs just don’t do it for us. Not sure if we’re just doing something wrong, but i’ve yet to see a FHEV that impresses us in terms of economy.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#184433 Reply
    gilders
    Participant

@lab I ordered the same (Flame Blue too) last Wednesday (27th April). I actually think for the type of driving we do, the FHEV would have been much more frugal, but as our yearly mileage isn’t very high, I think the £700 saving will more than cover it.

I’m more concerned about the performance. The HEV does have a lot more power and if both were available, I would have spent the extra £700.

The MHEV does come with nicer and larger wheels. I saw a HEV that wasn’t showroom shiny and the wheels didn’t look very impressive with a bit of dust on them.

When I ordered, I was told that orders from Dec’21 to end of April’22 are planned to be delivered June and July, but was told that it was subject to delays. Later that day, I received a copy of the order and that showed an estimated delivery date of 30th September.

What is your estimated delivery date on your order form?

The MHEV doesn’t come with the remote parking. I don’t think I’d use it much “in the real world”. But it would have been a fun/cool feature to show off to friends, or play pranks with.

#184434 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

We did try the remote parking, and it was fun for like a minute. It’s a tad fiddly, and the parking sensors are very sensitive – it refused to “drive” into our parking bay at home which has a wall to one side.

I actually don’t know about the wheels, i just know that we drove the FHEV on a route that our Ateca 1.5 TSI DSG manages around 45mpg (on an 18 mile trip of mostly A and B roads) – the Sportage FHEV sat at 37mpg initially, got it up to around 42ish.

#184437 Reply
    rico

sounds like you had mpg on since fill, or trip, because on my testdrive I reset the trip computer and litrally drove our school run (b roads and twisty country road) and then drove back to the dealers along twisties two manage to get much more than that, the school run was 69 alone.

#184453 Reply
    lab
    Participant

Having driven the FHEV, i don’t think you’re missing out too much.

I saw a PHEV at the dealers, the boot seemed to be considerable smaller than the MHEV don’t think my scooter would fit in it. The PHEV and the FHEV I think are 6 speed autos, where the MHEV is 7 and has 3 mode choices, maybe eco-mode might save a bit of fuel, expecting low 30s MPG our current car does less than 30.

I ordered the same (Flame Blue too) last Wednesday (27th April). What is your estimated delivery date on your order form?

Ordered same day as you did 27th, order form states 27th July.

#184460 Reply
    gilders
    Participant

@Rico on my 25min test drive (FHEV), half of it was slow, stop-start driving, which is where HEV gain over ICE as they use their electric motors. I only achieved 42mpg for the trip. The long term mpg was 40.

I hope I don’t regret ordering the MHEV. I’m used to around 38mpg for most of our short, hilly drives. Motorway driving is 50+mpg.

#184475 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

to get much more than that, the school run was 69 alone.

Purely downhill with wind in your rear, maybe. It managed 48mpg in the (very favourable to HEVs) WLTP index. Auto Express suggests mid 40s. Green car reports says 43mpg (us) combined, which is 50mpg UK for the 2wd in the EPA test, confirming the WLTP test. What Car got  “just over 40mpg” in the Tucson with exactly the same drivetrain.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t set to “since fill” (the number changed rather rapidly in the beginning, less in the end), in the dashboard. The 37mpg in the beginning were a result of two accelerations off the light to, you know. See how it “goes”, shortly after the journey started.

One thing to not is that i’m not 100% certain whether we drove the 2WD or 4WD – the GT Line S FHEV can be either, if i’m not mistaken.

@Rico on my 25min test drive (FHEV), half of it was slow, stop-start driving, which is where HEV gain over ICE as they use their electric motors. I only achieved 42mpg for the trip. The long term mpg was 40.

That sounds about right, ish.

I don’t think you’re going to regret it. Short hilly drives might be worse than the FHEV, but motorway driving would be better than the FHEV. Not sure what you’re driving currently, though 38mpg on short hilly drives doesn’t sound particularly bad?

You can’t regenerate on the motorway, so the FHEV system makes no difference other than adding weight. On the upside, the MHEV has a 7speed gearbox – i don’t know the ratios, but there’s a chance that 7th is akin to an overdrive, improving economy – usually 6speed gearboxes are used in hybrids because they leave space for the electric motor inside the gearbox (like our Golf GTE for example).

#184493 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

@Rico on my 25min test drive (FHEV), half of it was slow, stop-start driving, which is where HEV gain over ICE as they use their electric motors. I only achieved 42mpg for the trip. The long term mpg was 40. I hope I don’t regret ordering the MHEV. I’m used to around 38mpg for most of our short, hilly drives. Motorway driving is 50+mpg.

Just to give you what I believe would be a good estimate on. In my Tuscon ICE my long term average is 29.9mpg and since refueling 30.9 mpg which I find more important than instantaneous mpg per trip. I live 2 miles up steep hill and going down the instantaneous mpg hit 47mpg and then level out between 33-36mpg. When coming back home up the hill the instantaneous mpg drops to below 30mpg. I have not yet driven any long distances and only covered around 700miles since having it and I have driven it gently to save on fuel. TBH I was hoping to be averaging at least mid 30s

Given the Sportage you have chosen, is the mild hybrid with auto box expect to get a slightly more than above. How much  the extra weight of the AWD will affect your economy against the 2wd is something to bare in mind.

G

#184584 Reply
    rico

see I reset my trip counter left the dealer at 2:30 got back their at 5:30, was supposed to be back at 4, but after a little stretch on the motor way after testing on school run and motorway burst it was 69 and their were a lot of hills involved in school run, its not exactly flat down in the garden of england 😛 but it did go higher as 1 hour and 30 mins of the test drive was being stuck in heavy traffic going back to dealers because of a accident on the a2 the country side roads were packed too and it went upto 85mpg by the time I returned it. but I guess thats were fhevs are best and do get better in traffic.

#184645 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

see I reset my trip counter left the dealer at 2:30 got back their at 5:30, was supposed to be back at 4, but after a little stretch on the motor way after testing on school run and motorway burst it was 69 and their were a lot of hills involved in school run, its not exactly flat down in the garden of england 😛 but it did go higher as 1 hour and 30 mins of the test drive was being stuck in heavy traffic going back to dealers because of a accident on the a2 the country side roads were packed too and it went upto 85mpg by the time I returned it. but I guess thats were fhevs are best and do get better in traffic.

What was the average consumption rather than instantaneous consumption which is just a snapshot of that moment.

#184660 Reply
    Winston
    Participant

As title states just ordered Kia Sportage petrol 48v GT-Line S AWD in blue flame, I was concerned the grant may not have covered the full AP of £3,299, needn’t have worried was approved and received letter within two days, emailed it to dealer Saturday. The electric memory seats will be a huge help really struggling with manual adjustment, they are heated and ventilated as well, this model also has the powered tailgate. Shame the hybrids were removed, I was concerned all sportage models would come off before I could order one. The rep was a nice guy, said delivery could be August/September to be honest not really bothered about waiting, just nice to know we have finally got a car booked.

Congratulations on being awarded the grant 👏🏻

it may be a delicate or sensitive issue so if it is please do not answer my question

but I was wondering what you told MB to qualify for that specific car etc

again I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable in any way , thanks in advance

When life hands you melons...,
    Make melonade!

#184692 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

What was the average consumption rather than instantaneous consumption which is just a snapshot of that moment.

that was the trips mpg at the end 85 mpg, but I would say thats slightly overkill and the 69 mpg the trip was showing before all the traffic would be more realistic as that was mixed motorway and country roads. I would not go by all time avg as who knows how other people testing the car drove it.

#184694 Reply
    Rich
    Participant

Is the hybrid available on motability as when I looked on Kia’s website it only shows prices for the ICE models?

We’re hoping to have a look at the 4 model but I can’t decide whether to go for a diesel or petrol. We currently have an X1 with the 2L turbo diesel engine and average 40mpg. Both the Kia engines will feel underpowered in comparison but I’ve read the petrol isn’t that great and would achieve around 30mpg. But then with diesel being more expensive now it’s probably not worth getting another one.

#184698 Reply
    gilders
    Participant

@Rich HEV no longer available via Motability. I was also told by KIA UK (not just a dealership) that it will most likely not return this year.

I have a petrol  MHEV on order and I’m beginning to think I’ve made a mistake due to poor mpg. If we didn’t drive so many short (3 mile) journeys, I think I’d be tempted with the diesel.

This being my first SUV, I’m hoping that I will find the lack of power acceptable as I expect to drive it in a more casual manner than my Golf. The only “sport” in a sports-utility-vehicle is the styling compared to a traditional off roader imo.

#184699 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Is the hybrid available on motability as when I looked on Kia’s website it only shows prices for the ICE models? We’re hoping to have a look at the 4 model but I can’t decide whether to go for a diesel or petrol. We currently have an X1 with the 2L turbo diesel engine and average 40mpg. Both the Kia engines will feel underpowered in comparison but I’ve read the petrol isn’t that great and would achieve around 30mpg. But then with diesel being more expensive now it’s probably not worth getting another one.

Ice and 48v Mild hybrid petrol/diesel are on the scheme. The full hybrid was removed.

Diesels will be the most economical but I agree you will notice a difference in performance compared to you X1. The 113hp diesel is 2wd which i dont think you can get in the 4 trim and 134hp is awd, both have 0-60 times north of 11 seconds if that matters to you.

Incidentally I have just brimmed the tank in my Tuscon ICE (same engine) and done a old school calculation and its averaged 32.8mpg over 271.5 miles, the onboard computer says 31.6mpg. local driving.

#184703 Reply
    stav

Those tuscon figures are 1 or 2 mpg higher than we get in the 1.4 tgdi kia xceed doing  2/3 mile journeys.

#184706 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Those tuscon figures are 1 or 2 mpg higher than we get in the 1.4 tgdi kia xceed doing 2/3 mile journeys.

Wow stav and here’s me thinking my mpg is not great. My local driving is around 6miles each way gentle driving. I’m drving from S Wales to Staffordshire tonight so be interesting what I get on a longer journey.

#184709 Reply
    stav

Manchester , lots of 3 mile journeys ,traffic lights everywhere. If we drive to the city centre (7 miles .)an back probably get 38 mpg if the traffics kind. We actually got better mpg in 2 litre petrol tiguan 4wd.

#184781 Reply
    lab
    Participant

Hi Winston,

Thank you,  I was really pleased to get the grant. It was a combination of things, I have several spinal problems and arthritis in my knees, so I need an SUV type vehicle as I cannot get into normal height cars. This model has 360-degree cameras and since my neck movability is poor, parking will hopefully be easier.

The boot had to be large enough for my scooter and wheelchair, at present my car has a manual adjustable seat I have to adjust the seat after my wife drives the car which I cannot do due to arthritis, so an electric fully adjustable memory seat was the clincher for this car and spec.

I had very little choice of vehicles, most of the other cars that may have been suitable have been removed.

#184806 Reply
    HammerHead
    Participant

Ordered the same car as the OP last Saturday, Fusion Orange with Black roof. Was asking the dealer about the HEV and PHEV, apparently Kia had predicted/estimated that they would sell 1,000 Sportage per month on MB. In the 1st 2 weeks of April they had taken 53,000 orders! The majority of which were the HEV version. Hence removing that version for the rest of the year so they could satisfy the demand from retail/private buyers.

Understandable I suppose but I would have liked at least the option to wait a year or more.

Oh, and delivery for the car we ordered is ‘around’ September/October.

#184845 Reply
    gilders
    Participant

@HammerHead I too would have preferred to wait a year.

53,000 in 1-2 weeks shows 2 things – 1) The Sportage HEV is a popular car and 2) The choice for Motability is so poor that it left a lot of customers feeling like Sportage was the only car on the scheme worth having

I think your delivery time frame seems realistic.

#184851 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

53,000 in 1-2 weeks shows 2 things – 1) The Sportage HEV is a popular car and 2) The choice for Motability is so poor that it left a lot of customers feeling like Sportage was the only car on the scheme worth having

The only competitor during the time the HEV was on the scheme was the Kuga, but with Kia’s sharp looks and classy interior, it blew the Kuga out of the water. With such poor choice on the scheme there were literally no other alternatives in that class, which I think made it so popular.

It will be interesting when it does reappear on the scheme what the AP’s will be.

#185426 Reply
    Rich
    Participant

Thanks @gilders and @kezo

We extended our X1 to 5 years and have 12 months left so still abit of time to order something. But I can’t see things improving much this year and AP are probably going to stay high.

Ideally want an SUV again and we did want another BMW as we’ve loved the X1. We’ve still not looked at the Kia yet but will try and get a test drive booked. The passenger space in the rear of the X1 is massive compared to a lot of cars, so I’m hoping the Sportage is similar.

We do at least 250 miles a week ferrying my son around (it’s his car) but mainly short journeys of 10 miles on the motorway and A roads. With the cost of diesel I definitely think it’s time to go back to petrol and ideally a hybrid. It’s a shame the MHEV has been removed from the scheme.

#185432 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Thanks @gilders and @kezo We extended our X1 to 5 years and have 12 months left so still abit of time to order something. But I can’t see things improving much this year and AP are probably going to stay high. Ideally want an SUV again and we did want another BMW as we’ve loved the X1. We’ve still not looked at the Kia yet but will try and get a test drive booked. The passenger space in the rear of the X1 is massive compared to a lot of cars, so I’m hoping the Sportage is similar. We do at least 250 miles a week ferrying my son around (it’s his car) but mainly short journeys of 10 miles on the motorway and A roads. With the cost of diesel I definitely think it’s time to go back to petrol and ideally a hybrid. It’s a shame the MHEV has been removed from the scheme.

@Rich
    the MHEV 48v is still on the scheme and the GT line S AWD you mention is in fact a mild hybrid. What has been removed is the HEV (full hybrid)

#185434 Reply
    gilders
    Participant

The official figures for the combined mpg for the petrol MHEV AWD is 40.4mpg  VS  50.4mpg for Diesel equivalent. That’s about 25% more fuel efficient for diesel.

Today’s avg. prices for both fuels show diesel being 8% more expensive than petrol. This would suggest diesel is by far better for economy. But afaik, diesels are worse than petrol at low engine temperature, i.e. short journeys and fuel efficiency may be closer to the petrol before warm? I’d warn about a diesels DPF filter blocking up on short journeys, but if you already have a diesel, I guess your journeys haven’t caused this to happen.

Our short journeys (most of them) are up to 3 miles, plus it’s very hilly, so I completely ruled out diesel. As your short journeys are 10 miles, perhaps the diesel is still the better choice?

EDIT: Just seen that your short journeys are not city/stop-start driving, but A roads and motorway. I’m definitely leaning more to diesel being more frugal even though it’s about 8% more expensive. But probably not a massive difference between the 2.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by gilders. Reason: Extra info
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
Reply To: Ordered Kia Sportage 48v GT-LINE S auto AWD
Your information: