Opinions on selling options, please

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

I had a chat with my local Hyundai dealer, they’re prevented from buying any car for now, which gives me a headache.

I can use one of the car buying online services but that means someone collects the car, then pays me later/next day then I have to get a taxi to the dealership having paid a few days earlier.  That means some days without a car.

Alternatively, I can go elsewhere.  Being in Cornwall that means either Bristol Street Motors, Exeter (100 miles away) or Rodger’s in Plymouth 65 miles away.

I haven’t spoken to anyone yet but that would, at least mean I have transport consistently.  I am the driver for 2 households, ours with 2 adults having numerous hospital/doctors appointments and a youngster to get to school and her own appointments plus my mum who also has a collection of appointments she needs to get to.  That’s pushing me to ditching the local dealership and doing the longer range sign up.

There’s the added complication that I’m on Universal Credit and they don’t allow more than £6k in savings and the car is worth more than that.  I will have the whole car value until I pay for the scheme car which, technically, should be declared.

Why can’t things just be simple?

So, do I travel and save some timing issues or stay local and endure some short term pain?

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jojoe
      Participant

Could you not sell the car and rent one for a couple of days. There are some very cheap car rental places, there’s one in Cornwall that has older cars which it rents to holiday makers. I wouldn’t worry about having the money in your account, even the UC people could see you are using it for the AP.

kezo
        Participant

Are you you named on mums bank account?

How much is the car worth as your allowed upto £16k before you loose complete entitlement to UC.

MFillingham
          Participant

Could you not sell the car and rent one for a couple of days. There are some very cheap car rental places, there’s one in Cornwall that has older cars which it rents to holiday makers. I wouldn’t worry about having the money in your account, even the UC people could see you are using it for the AP.

You can never trust the government agencies to be reasonable. Experience has shown me that much.  Hiring a car, if they’ve an automatic could be an option.

Are you you named on mums bank account? How much is the car worth as your allowed upto £16k before you loose complete entitlement to UC.

I have power of attorney but I’d confuse her far too much if I put money in and took it out of there.  She watches her money like a hawk, even dad said she’d cry if it was an expensive week at Tesco, there’s no way her account is a viable option.

Car is worth around £10k, which is about right for a 19k purchase 3 years ago.

After yesterday’s not buying announcement, today he added a £1,000 deposit, entirely non refundable.  I’m beginning not to like the way they wait until last minute to drop the bad news.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.

Mark

kezo
            Participant

Am I right thinking the DWP disregard for 6 months, possibly 12?

For example if you sold yur house and were waiting to move into a new on, there is a disregard period.

Speak with Citizns Advice/Welfare Rights,

Have you any outstanding finance to pay.

MFillingham
              Participant

Yes, I believe there’s a 12 allowance to clear excessive balances but I’ve only heard that in specific situations, large PIP back pay and divorce settlements including house sales forced as a result of divorce.

Mark

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.