oops, bmw prices and cost to motability

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  SaintsMan 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #75245 Reply

Rico

might be of interest to you, a dealer accidently put up the non customer list that shows cost to motability of each car (remember to take off VAT too if your interested).

Retailers price list

Quite surprised really for example a 320d se auto touring if you take the vat off cost to motability and minus the advance payment it brings the car down too 19000, then what you pay over 3 years 10,324 is motability outlay in total, if you return the car with under 30000 miles on the clock the car would be worth about 16000, which is over a 5126 profit for motability if you get a good condition bonus :O if you return it with 60000 miles on the clock it’s worth about 13450, which is still about 2000 profit for motability, no wonder there reserves are so high, I would be the one in the high band so giving them a 5126 profit if I chose this car, you also have to factor in that rsa take 28% as that is part of the deal they have with motability to provide the insurance. then the cost of £15 per car for the 3 year cover (they do it so cheap as imagine how much it works out by how many cars are on the road that are motability and actually how many need assistance, they make a huge profit from it). So roughly speaking they would make around 3300 from me from leasing this car.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #75247 Reply

Macca

Ha, that dealer will be popular … not

#75248 Reply

WardyGTC
    Participant

The discount Motability receive is not a trade secret, I’ve always been given a copy of the invoice for my cars on collection day which has the discount shown on it.

I personally have no issue with them making a decent profit, as long as customers are getting a good deal and I think most will agree that we do okay out of the scheme.

#75253 Reply

Shawn
    Participant

So when that salesman is begrudgingly trying to sell you that “FREE” car remember the above.

I’m having trouble getting an electric car or even a test drive in one.

But the figures don’t add up! ZOE= £21K retail minus £4k Vat minus £4k AP minus £9k over 3 years. Will that car be worth just £4K at the end with 12K miles on it because that’s all I do. No its going to be worth at least £10K.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!

East Yorkshire
    Current car Ford Focus 2.0TDi Titanium 2009 until decent EV available on the scheme at the right price(I can add up)😡

#75254 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

So when that salesman is begrudgingly trying to sell you that “FREE” car remember the above. I’m having trouble getting an electric car or even a test drive in one. But the figures don’t add up! ZOE= £21K retail minus £4k Vat minus £4k AP minus £9k over 3 years. Will that car be worth just £4K at the end with 12K miles on it because that’s all I do. No its going to be worth at least £10K. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!

Shawn silly as it sound you actually lease the batteries this in addition to the £12K retail.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#75256 Reply

Shawn
    Participant

So when that salesman is begrudgingly trying to sell you that “FREE” car remember the above. I’m having trouble getting an electric car or even a test drive in one. But the figures don’t add up! ZOE= £21K retail minus £4k Vat minus £4k AP minus £9k over 3 years. Will that car be worth just £4K at the end with 12K miles on it because that’s all I do. No its going to be worth at least £10K. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!

Shawn silly as it sound you actually lease the batteries this in addition to the £12K retail.

This copied and pasted from Motability site:

“Renault Zoe E i Dynamique Nav 5dr”

The “i” means the battery is bought outright, no lease as I understand it.

East Yorkshire
    Current car Ford Focus 2.0TDi Titanium 2009 until decent EV available on the scheme at the right price(I can add up)😡

#75261 Reply

mitch
    Participant

it would be interesting to know what the margins etc are for regular lease companies to compare and contrast but i doubt that would ever be made public. motability are certainly more forgiving at the end of lease regarding damage or wear and tear.my brother leased a car a couple of years ago and they tried to charge him for the slightest blemish on hand back. particularly as i do v low mileage i have been looking for alternatives to motability but pretty much all except buying a cheap second hand car work out more expensive and require a lot more hoops jumping through.

#75268 Reply

Philjb

I’m not surprised as most companies have a 50-100% mark up.

The bigger they are the larger the discounts they can get.

Buy they don’t pass it on to us as we are the ones they make such big profits from.

Unless you can drive it like a hire car, get through lots of sets of tyres.

Have faults so you get hire cars for long periods. Then you may eat into some profit.

Most of us just about manage to drive short distances and I can’t take racing starts or braking heavily or handbrake turns to wear out tyres.

#75282 Reply

Touran2019
    Participant

I am always at a loss to comprehend why people using the motability scheme complain about costs and so-called profits.

JUST take the whole costs of providing and running the service then if you are not happy then Don’t use it, logic

#75286 Reply

Littledave

If they deduct Vat at the beginning of the lease they have to add at the end of the lease.

#75287 Reply

Shawn
    Participant

I am always at a loss to comprehend why people using the motability scheme complain about costs and so-called profits. JUST take the whole costs of providing and running the service then if you are not happy then Don’t use it, logic

I have not used it for 20 years(kept the £60K) but an electric car would make me come back to it. But I’m not stupid and I can see that someone is making a lot of money here. I too have seen the newspapers were it says the “charity” is holding millions of pounds in reserve.

I cancelled a Hybrid on the scheme last week so I am doing my bit to change things.

East Yorkshire

#75305 Reply

Jack

We’ve had a copy the invoice for our last 3 cars, all of which have been between £8-£10k less than RRP

#75325 Reply

WardyGTC
    Participant

ALL charities hold millions in reserve, it’s just how they operate.

The Motability charity is not the company that leases the vehicles, Motability Operations are a separate entity set up and overseen by the charity.

They are entitled to make profits, the more profit they make the better deals we get.

If anybody thinks they can get a better deal anywhere else then good luck, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

#75329 Reply

Rico

the point I was making is no wonder they have so much in reserve, I just am dumbfounded that with so much in reserve there are price caps and ap keep going up and up, I mean some of the cars are value for money some not. I went and had a look at the alfa gulia and was seriously considering it, even managed to convince the dealer to offer cashback of 750.. but then I asked about change of alloys to black and heated steering wheel and he replied with cant be done, no factory order and factory model is now a 160 bhp 2.2 diesel and the one on motability is stock in port to clear.

its getting that confusing to me, I might just get a cheapo no advance payment car next, keep it for 5 years by extending the lease and then go and buy my own car by living like a hermit for 5 of those years and scrimping and saving.

#75332 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

This copied and pasted from Motability site: “Renault Zoe E i Dynamique Nav 5dr” The “i” means the battery is bought outright, no lease as I understand it.

Shawn in the small print Renault sell the Zoë for around £22000 but will only rent the batteries for £59.00 per month based on 4500 miles per year addition mileage is charged @ £0.08 per mile.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#75356 Reply

Shawn
    Participant

Shawn in the small print Renault sell the Zoë for around £22000 but will only rent the batteries for £59.00 per month based on 4500 miles per year addition mileage is charged @ £0.08 per mile.

They are “i” Zoe’s on the scheme the battery is included in the list price, no rental.

The battery rental Zoe’s are about £17 new, if they still do them.

East Yorkshire

#75359 Reply

Shawn
    Participant

EDIT: The prices I am quoting are from memory from last year.

Just had a look at current prices and the cars are now £25K for the one on the scheme and £22k for the battery rental. Minus government grant. So almost right.

https://offers.renault.co.uk/cars/zoe/renaultselectionszeaccess?offer=514

East Yorkshire

#75373 Reply

SaintsMan

Leaves me clueless as to how they work out AP’s. Some versions within the same model range cost more yet have lower AP’s

i.e.

X1 1.8i £26,200 AP £1500

X1 2.0i £26,400 AP £1300

(all figures rounded off a bit)

The you can have a £500 jump in price with a £200 increase in AP, with another model jumping £1000 in price with a £200 AP increase.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: oops, bmw prices and cost to motability

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: