One dish dinners

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #137850 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

ive tried some of these theyre pretty good.

#137852 Reply
    Brydo

I haven’t yet Mitch but I will give them a go.

#137871 Reply
    Georgie

I very much approve of one pan meals – one pan meal = one pan washing up, which is always a ‘win’ for me.

I made a ‘Hairy Bikers’ Sausage Casserole a couple of days ago.  Very nice.  Chilli Con Carne is another excellent ‘one pan’ meal, too, if you have it with crusty bread.

#137882 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Some of those recipes look quite attractive. Will probably try one or two. Have some of my own which include Coq au Vin (with crusty bread) and a lamb and potato curry. Might be more but can’t think of ’em at moment. Oh, there’s always a stir-fry of course…

#137884 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

winter time i have stews quite a lot, usually does 4 or 5 meals, steak and kidney with potatoes veg and dumplings this week will see me through to the weekend. flavour gets better each day lol.

#137890 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I made a ‘Hairy Bikers’ Sausage Casserole a couple of days ago. Very nice.

This is on my rota too, It always feels weird adding smoked paprika to sausages. Risotto is also a one pot wonder – always with chorizo. Perhaps I am a smoked paprika addict!

#137910 Reply
    Georgie

I, too, am a bit of a smoked paprika addict – especially ‘sweet’ smoked paprika sprinkled over Cheese on toast.  Also good in a Paella and in Cottage Pie.  Sometimes I add cinnamon to the Cottage Pie meat (a la Delia’s Shephard’s Pie recipe), but sometimes I add paprika instead.  And bacon.  With more bacon on top.

Hum.  I should make a Cottage Pie this week.  It’s the right sort of weather for that sort of food (my excuse, any way).  Better go and update the On-line shopping order . . .

#137914 Reply
    Brydo

Made this last night, not from the bbc link but a one pot dish.

Kung Po chicken with peppers and boiled rice. Boiled rice from a packet into the microwave 2 minutes, done.

#137915 Reply
    Brydo

#137946 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Doing cottage pie tonight. Will now try your idea of adding the smoked paprika. Other “must” ingreezements are few drops of Worcester sauce and anchovy paste (1 or 2 teaspoons).

#137954 Reply
    Georgie

Have you tried Maggi Seasoning, which I find adds a ‘meatier’ taste to beef dishes even though it’s made from veggie protein?

#137965 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

I’d forgotten all about the Maggi stuff. Will get some. Used it years ago and agree was v good. Try not to use “arificial” seasonings but sometimes a little bit of, say, Aromat, helps to whizz things up a bit. There are also some good Italian or Mediterranean seasonings in the dried herbs ranges.  And, talking of Paella, I try to add a few fresh prawns to it. Peel them first, obviously, then make a stock by boiling the shuckings for half hour and straining. Then use the stock in place or veggie or chicken stock to make Paella. Don’t need extra flavourings with that! (Also, I never use chorizo in it, find it drowns out all the other flavours)

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Reply #137915 in One dish dinners
Your information: