Ohme charger

• Creator
    Topic
    Footloose
    Participant

Hi

I’m due to have an Ohme wall charger fitted soon but can i ask with regards to scheduled charging that some chargers allow for a start time and end time such as off peak does Ohme have the same function to program the time or does it start/end when off peak is available automatically on the nights/mornings I select?

Forgive me if it’s a daft question please?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kmb786
      Participant

You get these options.

Ioniq
        Participant

The screenshot that kmb shows is the default built into Ohme.

I just deleted them and created a new schedule to suit my Octopus cheap charging times.

My charging schedule is set between 12.30 pm and 5.30 am.

You will have to create your own according to your energy provider.

If I want to add a charge outwith these times, I just plug it in and pause the charge when I want to unplug it.

Phaedra
          Participant

If you’re using Octopus Intelligent Go for your electricity supply use the guide below to charge off peak when it’s cheapest, 7.5p kWh.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Ele
            Participant

Covers all Ohme topics

Ohme EV Charger Users Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/971886316643042

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Ele.
              DelToro
              Participant

Thank you, Ele.

Elliot
                Participant

We have 2 EV’s on order through Motability. We confirmed through Ohme that we would be getting 2 chargers and were told that would be the case. Yesterday, the installer came out and installed only one charger and told my wife that we wouldn’t be getting another. I’ve spoken to Motability, who have basically washed their hands of it and said that it’s between us and Ohme. Looking at the unit last night, you can only have one user and one vehicle on the app which Ohme have confirmed to be the case. Does anyone have any ideas about this. I know @kezo is our expert on the electrics side of things.

Ele
                  Participant

First I have not head of motorbility allowing installation of 2 chargers at the same address

Where did you hear about that motorbility offer?

More than one person can login to the same Ohme app setup I hear

You say

{Looking at the unit last night, you can only have one user and one vehicle on the app which Ohme have confirmed to be the case.}

It seems you already now have the answer you are looking for or am I missing something

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Ele.
                    Elliot
                    Participant

Yes you’re missing the fact that Motability said we would be getting 2 chargers. When I spoke to Ohme they said the only way you can charge 2 cars with the same charger is by both people using the same account and every time you have to wipe out the car details on the app and start again with the other car’s details.

It’s not exactly convenient.

Ioniq
                      Participant

@Elliot

Never heard of anyone getting 2 chargers fitted at the same address.

The charger fitting is entirely discretionary, and Motability will wash their hands of it.

You can charge either car on the Ohme charger, there is no need for card swiping. You plug the car into the charger and it charges any of your 2 cars.

If you want a 2nd charger, you will have to pay for it yourself

One user moved to another property with no charger and asked Motability to install another charger. He was declined.

One charger per household.

Elliot
                        Participant

@Elliot Never heard of anyone getting 2 chargers fitted at the same address. The charger fitting is entirely discretionary, and Motability will wash their hands of it. You can charge either car on the Ohme charger, there is no need for card swiping. You plug the car into the charger and it charges any of your 2 cars. If you want a 2nd charger, you will have to pay for it yourself One user moved to another property with no charger and asked Motability to install another charger. He was declined. One charger per household.

That’s definitely not what I was told by Motability and Ohme.

Ryan
                          Participant

Hello – Could someone please tell me how the process was to get the charger installed? once I ordered my car, I received a text message from Ohme with an online form to fill out. I completed this form and it said I would hear from Ohme soon – that was about 5 days ago, does anyone know how long they take to contact once online form has been submitted? also, how long is the typical wait time for the charger to be installed once they contact? thanks again

Elliot
                            Participant

Hello – Could someone please tell me how the process was to get the charger installed? once I ordered my car, I received a text message from Ohme with an online form to fill out. I completed this form and it said I would hear from Ohme soon – that was about 5 days ago, does anyone know how long they take to contact once online form has been submitted? also, how long is the typical wait time for the charger to be installed once they contact? thanks again

I ordered my car in January and it’s just been installed.

Ioniq
                              Participant

@Ryan
                                It depends on whether it’s a simple install or complicated one.

It may take a few weeks if it’s a simple install, or 6 months if it’s complicated.

Ioniq
                                Participant

@Elliot

No matter what you were told Elliot, its seems actions are louder, Ohme only installed one charger.

If anyone told you differently on the phone, in all likely hood it woll be dismissed. If however you have written confirmation to have 2 chargers installed, that is a contract and they would have to honour that.

I dont know why you are stressing yourself out over it.

If needs be, just get another charger installed, even if you have to pay for it.

Common sense prevails, unless you are driving a couple of hundred miles per day, you wont need 2 chargers.

kezo
                                  Participant

We have 2 EV’s on order through Motability. We confirmed through Ohme that we would be getting 2 chargers and were told that would be the case. Yesterday, the installer came out and installed only one charger and told my wife that we wouldn’t be getting another. I’ve spoken to Motability, who have basically washed their hands of it and said that it’s between us and Ohme. Looking at the unit last night, you can only have one user and one vehicle on the app which Ohme have confirmed to be the case. Does anyone have any ideas about this. I know @kezo is our expert on the electrics side of things.

Sorry late to the party mate, been visiting family.

Firstly it is unlikely you will get 2 physical chargers through Motability, not because they are after saving money by only installing one charger. This is because any EVSE equipment has to be notified to your DNO, and by rgistering two chargers at the same address the DNO can (a) refuse due to an additional 7kW load on the system (14kW in total) with the potential of you power shifting your white goods during off peak times adding to that load. (2) Insist you have 3 phase or poly-phase installed, which the DNO might not be in favour of doing (3) if you managed to get 3 phase install, there are very few domestic 3 phase smart meters available as the DNO would want one charger on one phase and the other on another phase (4) there are even less 3 phase “domestic” metering guys, so the wait for such a smart meter is alot longer than your typical domestic smart meter installation. Ovo are one company I believe that is ahead with domestic 3 phase smart meters.

I do not agree with with the DNO’s stance, as you can fit a 7kW commando socket to charge a car or get someone fit you a dumb charger or if an electrician is prepared fit another smart charger!

Even if you did have two charger’s at your home, you can only have one electricity account with one supplier. This means you can only have one Octopus Inetelligent account at your home, so you are no further forward.

There are a few things you can try to do to mitigate this:

Link the car with the biggest battery to OI and charge the other car from 12 – 5am avoiding the bonus hours given by OI

On the Ohme app or on the chargers display there is the possibllty to “switch cars”

Charge one car x hour one night on Octopus go and the second car for the same x off peak hours the next night.

Octopus have a statemen on their intelligent tariff, which I read as meaning: Octopus can only knowledgeably charge one vehicle at a time. And that if you have a different vehicle you have to re-enter that EVs model details, otherwise it won’t know for example what the battery capacity is. By ‘knowledgeably’ I refer to Octopus knowing the battery kWh and uses this to plan the charge profile for the charge being added. Using the switch car on the Ohme charger would be helpful for this. I know Octopus check to see if the registered car is being charged once a month or so but, Ive know from another forum I’m on many have got around this and utilse this way to charger 2 cars at 7.5pkWh.

Have a commando socket installed and both cars can be charged at the same time on tariffs like Ocopus GO, EDF go electric and British gas etc.

If any of these ways interest you, we can go into more detail on any of them.

Lastly, it is typical of Motability customer service bods washing their hands and telling you to sort it! However if you feel you have being wrong done by, after being told you can have 2 chargers installed by Ohme, you should contact Motability CEO dept, where they will listen and go out their way if they way to help. andrewmiller@motabilityoperations.co.uk

Elliot
                                    Participant

@Elliot No matter what you were told Elliot, its seems actions are louder, Ohme only installed one charger. If anyone told you differently on the phone, in all likely hood it woll be dismissed. If however you have written confirmation to have 2 chargers installed, that is a contract and they would have to honour that. I dont know why you are stressing yourself out over it. If needs be, just get another charger installed, even if you have to pay for it. Common sense prevails, unless you are driving a couple of hundred miles per day, you wont need 2 chargers.

Did I say I was stressing out over it. If I need to pay for a charger myself I’ll do it but I expect to get what I’m promised and yes I do have it in writing from Ohme.

Elliot
                                      Participant

Sorry late to the party mate, been visiting family. Firstly it is unlikely you will get 2 physical chargers through Motability, not because they are after saving money by only installing one charger. This is because any EVSE equipment has to be notified to your DNO, and by rgistering two chargers at the same address the DNO can (a) refuse due to an additional 7kW load on the system (14kW in total) with the potential of you power shifting your white goods during off peak times adding to that load. (2) Insist you have 3 phase or poly-phase installed, which the DNO might not be in favour of doing (3) if you managed to get 3 phase install, there are very few domestic 3 phase smart meters available as the DNO would want one charger on one phase and the other on another phase (4) there are even less 3 phase “domestic” metering guys, so the wait for such a smart meter is alot longer than your typical domestic smart meter installation. Ovo are one company I believe that is ahead with domestic 3 phase smart meters. I do not agree with with the DNO’s stance, as you can fit a 7kW commando socket to charge a car or get someone fit you a dumb charger or if an electrician is prepared fit another smart charger! Even if you did have two charger’s at your home, you can only have one electricity account with one supplier. This means you can only have one Octopus Inetelligent account at your home, so you are no further forward. There are a few things you can try to do to mitigate this: Link the car with the biggest battery to OI and charge the other car from 12 – 5am avoiding the bonus hours given by OI On the Ohme app or on the chargers display there is the possibllty to “switch cars” Charge one car x hour one night on Octopus go and the second car for the same x off peak hours the next night. Octopus have a statemen on their intelligent tariff, which I read as meaning: Octopus can only knowledgeably charge one vehicle at a time. And that if you have a different vehicle you have to re-enter that EVs model details, otherwise it won’t know for example what the battery capacity is. By ‘knowledgeably’ I refer to Octopus knowing the battery kWh and uses this to plan the charge profile for the charge being added. Using the switch car on the Ohme charger would be helpful for this. I know Octopus check to see if the registered car is being charged once a month or so but, Ive know from another forum I’m on many have got around this and utilse this way to charger 2 cars at 7.5pkWh. Have a commando socket installed and both cars can be charged at the same time on tariffs like Ocopus GO, EDF go electric and British gas etc. If any of these ways interest you, we can go into more detail on any of them. Lastly, it is typical of Motability customer service bods washing their hands and telling you to sort it! However if you feel you have being wrong done by, after being told you can have 2 chargers installed by Ohme, you should contact Motability CEO dept, where they will listen and go out their way if they way to help. andrewmiller@motabilityoperations.co.uk

Thanks mate, I knew I could rely on you for a sensible answer. When the guy came out to survey it, he stated that I could have 2 chargers but when both were being used at the same time they would each run at half power. Is that true or was he talking rubbish.

kezo
                                        Participant

Thanks mate, I knew I could rely on you for a sensible answer. When the guy came out to survey it, he stated that I could have 2 chargers but when both were being used at the same time they would each run at half power. Is that true or was he talking rubbish.

A bit of both really!

With an Easee charger say, you could add (link) two or more chargers together, if they were both being at the same time the power would half, thus charging each car a 3.6kW when both vars were charging at the same time or 7kW if only one car was charging from one charger.

Ohme chargers don’t have the facilty to be “linked” together in that way, so two chargers would need to be hardwired from the mains.  However, the installer could limit each of the chargers to 3.6kW in the settings and when the installer has gone, couth, when he has gone it is easy to go into the settings yourself and increase the output to 7kW for each charger!

The problem arises, if the installer wire’s one or both chargers with 4mm cable instead of 6mm, which depending on the cable length with volt drop taken into consideration and the clipping method used may limit one or both chargers to 3.6kW due to the cable size etc. Again there is an easy work around by getting one or both chargers depending which or both are wired in 4mm, rewired with 6mm cable and an appropiate size MCB, hence giving you full power at both chargers 🙂

Elliot
                                          Participant

A bit of both really! With an Easee charger say, you could add (link) two or more chargers together, if they were both being at the same time the power would half, thus charging each car a 3.6kW when both vars were charging at the same time or 7kW if only one car was charging from one charger. Ohme chargers don’t have the facilty to be “linked” together in that way, so two chargers would need to be hardwired from the mains. However, the installer could limit each of the chargers to 3.6kW in the settings and when the installer has gone, couth, when he has gone it is easy to go into the settings yourself and increase the output to 7kW for each charger! The problem arises, if the installer wire’s one or both chargers with 4mm cable instead of 6mm, which depending on the cable length with volt drop taken into consideration and the clipping method used may limit one or both chargers to 3.6kW due to the cable size etc. Again there is an easy work around by getting one or both chargers depending which or both are wired in 4mm, rewired with 6mm cable and an appropiate size MCB, hence giving you full power at both chargers 🙂

That makes sense mate, thanks for the reply.

kezo
                                            Participant

That makes sense mate, thanks for the reply.

Anytime mate 🙂

Ioniq
                                              Participant
                                                Did I say I was stressing out over it. If I need to pay for a charger myself I’ll do it but I expect to get what I’m promised and yes I do have it in writing from Ohme.
                                                Exactly what I said to ya dude.  No need to repeat it!
                                                A new charger is only about a grand so its a  no brainer to have one fitted yourself.
                                                You have made it clear in other boast posts that money is not a problem for ya.
                                                As for getting stressed, its obvious its a serious issue you are dealing with, and you came on the forum asking for advice, which you received.
                                                I hope it works out for ya.
                                                Elliot
                                                Participant
                                                  Exactly what I said to ya dude. No need to repeat it!
                                                  A new charger is only about a grand so its a no brainer to have one fitted yourself.
                                                  As for getting stressed, its obvious its a serious issue you are dealing with, and you came on the forum asking for advice, which you received.

Boast posts?

kezo
                                                  Participant
                                                    Exactly what I said to ya dude. No need to repeat it!
                                                    A new charger is only about a grand so its a no brainer to have one fitted yourself.

I think you are missing the point!

Motability don’t state, that only one charge point per household regardless of the number of members of that household are eligible for the scheme.

Obviously an element of common sense applies should three or more members of the same household be eligible to have an EV on the scheme but, two should not pose an issue.

Ioniq
                                                    Participant

@kezo

I dont think I am missing the point, I said I.ve never heard of Motability fitting 2 chargers, I thought someone would chip in to say otherwise.

Point is, Elliot wants another charger fitted.

As you have said often enough, the site survey should be done by a qualified sparks.  His property is unknown, common sense suggest he could get a free quote for another charger privately and ask questions of the survey sparks.

I  thought 2 chargers only delivering 3.5Kw each, but wasnt sure. A survey would be good. Another good option would be another charger other than Ohme, that way one car charge by Ohme and the other by the 2nd charger.

Until an independant survey is done we are all guessing.

Best guess will be Motability response is washing their hands of the 2 charger problem and pass it off the Ohme.

That is Motability,s usual answer.

kezo
                                                      Participant

@kezo I dont think I am missing the point, I said I.ve never heard of Motability fitting 2 chargers, I thought someone would chip in to say otherwise. Point is, Elliot wants another charger fitted. As you have said often enough, the site survey should be done by a qualified sparks. His property is unknown, common sense suggest he could get a free quote for another charger privately and ask questions of the survey sparks. I thought 2 chargers only delivering 3.5Kw each, but wasnt sure. A survey would be good. Another good option would be another charger other than Ohme, that way one car charge by Ohme and the other by the 2nd charger. Until an independant survey is done we are all guessing. Best guess will be Motability response is washing their hands of the 2 charger problem and pass it off the Ohme. That is Motability,s usual answer.

Alot depends whether you have a hefty induction hob, 11kW electric shower etc. However even if you have hungry appliances they aren’t on long and certainly not through the middle of the night. That said DNO’s like to see load balancing (CT Clamp/s), which reduce the charge rate, should you be using all hungry appliances at the same time, thus preventing the service fuse blowing.

Where you see 2 or more EV’s in a family and it isn’t practical to share the one charger, many households opt for a interlocked commando socket as a second means of charging @7kW.

I agree, I wouldn’t want one Ohme charger nevermind two lol

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.