Ohme and exclusive use of car parking space

• Creator
    Topic
    Mikeydarlo
    Participant

Hi, just looking for advice, I’ve hit a stumbling block with my EV charger process because my landlord won’t officially grant me exclusive use of the parking space next to my home in writing which is what Ohme are demanding (as then everyone would want one) it’s currently operated on a free for all basis however having lived here for 17 years all my neighbours accept that I park there as I accept they park in “their” spaces.

anyone know why this is so important? Ohme s response was

“it is a requirement for having a charger installed and our installers won’t be able to complete the works safely without it”.

is it literally just so they can protect themselves against an irate neighbour demanding to know why they are fitting a charger in “their” space?

if my landlord agreed to temporarily grant me exclusive use of the parking space for the purpose/duration of the installation would that suffice?

Thanks for any thoughts

mike

Viewing 9 replies - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

As someone who installed chargepoints untill recently, the whole system Mb adopt is wrong. Asking a disabled customer to do their own survey unless they really really can’t, to talking to the dim wits in the office that don’t have the slightest idea other than following a check sheet!

Do you have your own consumer unit and meter point? if so why the bloody hell are they talking of permission to run cable halfway around the estate!

Thankfully I kept to commercial for the majority of time. Should I ever go electric, I can see myself having a barrel of fun with them!

You really need to sit down with your landlord and agree on some form of tempory arrangement re designated parking.

As for Ohme good luck, keep on knocking on the door untill someone’s home. If only Motability gave a cash alternative for situations like this, letting the home owner sort it through a 3rd party and landlord, should there be a need, if only for the grant.

Mikeydarlo
        Participant

I do think this is going to be my only option, get a local 3rd party to come out, do a survey, deliver it to the landlord, say this is the proposal do you agree, yes, job done.  Unfortunately it’s gonna have to come out of my pocket and I have splurged my money on the bmw i4 order.  I’m currently in the middle of a pip review as well, due to submit review form next week.  I’m thinking cancel the car order, wait for pip decision and then start again if pip goes well.  Probably mean no more i4 as price has gone up but hey ho , I could probably get an ioniq 5 and a charger installed privately for about same money if APs stay stable

kezo
          Participant

Only you can decide the best way forward. I wouldn’t give up with Ohme vs you and your landlord just yet. However I see your point with an upcoming PIP review. There is also the ioniq 6 which is slightly cheaper than the 5 in ultimate trim and more saloon type like the i4.

Keep us updated 🙂

Participant

i would sadly say in this case cancel car and get a petrol car. i had initial issues with my landlord but after i gave them a piece of my mind[politely] they suddenly became more helpful. all they really wanted was proof it was going to be done right by qualified people i think but their initial attitude was a bit unhelpful.

all was fine tho and ohme were fine. mine only runs at 3.6kw as the outer cable underground needs an upgrade and the neighbour’s house is owned by absentee landlord and re wont give ok for cable to be improved for free… so i just put up with slower charging.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
              Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

bigmac
              Participant

Can I ask the OP if this was ever resolved?

bigmac
                Participant
                  Mikeydarlo
                  Participant

Hi yes it was , I requested a survey to be done by Ohme and they sent someone out I believe the surveyor must have put the green light on the parking because next thing I knew I was handed over to the installation company and it was never mentioned again.   Had the charger in a month now.

I may just have got lucky and it may have been a case of one hand not knowing what the other was doing but I didn’t question it and it went through.

bigmac
                    Participant

Hi yes it was , I requested a survey to be done by Ohme and they sent someone out I believe the surveyor must have put the green light on the parking because next thing I knew I was handed over to the installation company and it was never mentioned again. Had the charger in a month now. I may just have got lucky and it may have been a case of one hand not knowing what the other was doing but I didn’t question it and it went through.

Many thanks

I have asked via email for one of the Ohme team to attend my property and do a survey! I have reiterated that the parking is right next to my hose (under a meter away) and I have parked there for many years! HA will not give me a designated bay no matter how much I huff and puff! Will see what reply I get..

Mikeydarlo
                      Participant

Is your housing association happy for you to have the charger but just not willing to put in writing that that space is solely for your use?  That’s pretty much where I was at with mine.  My housing officer from the HA came out and spoke to the surveyor on the day and said to him that’s his space we just can’t put it in writing so I don’t know if that also carried weight, maybe you could see if you could get a rep out from your HA on survey day to argue your case.  I genuinely think I was lucky tho and fluked it.  Fingers crossed for you tho

Viewing 9 replies - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.