Ohme and exclusive use of car parking space

• Creator
    Topic
    Mikeydarlo
    Participant

Hi, just looking for advice, I’ve hit a stumbling block with my EV charger process because my landlord won’t officially grant me exclusive use of the parking space next to my home in writing which is what Ohme are demanding (as then everyone would want one) it’s currently operated on a free for all basis however having lived here for 17 years all my neighbours accept that I park there as I accept they park in “their” spaces.

anyone know why this is so important? Ohme s response was

“it is a requirement for having a charger installed and our installers won’t be able to complete the works safely without it”.

is it literally just so they can protect themselves against an irate neighbour demanding to know why they are fitting a charger in “their” space?

if my landlord agreed to temporarily grant me exclusive use of the parking space for the purpose/duration of the installation would that suffice?

Thanks for any thoughts

mike

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DJP
      Participant

As it’s the landlords property it’s his/her choice and ohme will need their permission, we needed some handrails in our bathroom and the company wouldn’t fit them without landlord’s permission, so same thing I guess

Mikeydarlo
        Participant

The landlord have given me full permission to go ahead, they just aren’t prepared to say in writing where I park is for the exclusive use of my property because they believe every other tenant will demand their own exclusive parking space.

Ele
          Participant

Sounds like its a no go situation.

I can understand the landlords position and although its one that is unwelcome its not imo unexpected

Callmejohn

What about applying for a disabled parking space, which I appreciate does not restrict it to your use, but is a start and then you could apply further for it to be a named or house numbered spot if it is private land owned by your landlord.

kezo
              Participant

Can’t your landlord write a letter to say the carpark is shared but, on the priniple of the tennants spaced are allocated?

Failing that you could go down the route of requesting the parking bay is changed to a disabled bay, hence it becomes allocated to you!

kezo
                Participant

What about applying for a disabled parking space

Ha you beat me to it whils’t I was typing lol

callmejohn

Well kezo, if two great minds came up with the same suggestion, then hopefully there is some merit to it.

kezo
                    Participant

Well kezo, if two great minds came up with the same suggestion, then hopefully there is some merit to it.

Most definately!

It is a legal requirement for landlords to make reasonable adjustments for disabled tennants which includes disabled parking. Its most definately worth speaking to age or one of the other charity’s before approaching the landlord!

Ele
                      Participant

Most definately! It is a legal requirement for landlords to make reasonable adjustments for disabled tennants which includes disabled parking. Its most definately worth speaking to age or one of the other charity’s before approaching the landlord!

I wonder as im unsure in this instance if the blue badge bay would then just be discretionary thus allowing it to be used by one and all ( Scotland may dffer as their laws are more favourable)

Mikeydarlo
                        Participant

Not to piddle on one’s chips but everyone in my building has a disability lol so in essence it’s all disabled parking

Mikeydarlo
                          Participant

Can’t your landlord write a letter to say the carpark is shared but, on the priniple of the tennants spaced are allocated? Failing that you could go down the route of requesting the parking bay is changed to a disabled bay, hence it becomes allocated to you!

the housing officer is going to try and contact Ohme via phone and ask what the importance of it is.  I’ve suggested the landlord write a letter saying it’s for my exclusive use but then I write one afterwards stating I forfeit the exclusive use after installation or something along those lines, I’m not expecting lines painted on the car park or it put into the tenancy agreement

kezo
                            Participant

I wonder as im unsure in this instance if the blue badge bay would then just be discretionary thus allowing it to be used by one and all ( Scotland may dffer as their laws are more favourable)

It sounds as if the OP is in a private area operated by the landlord therefore the parking area is private (residents only). The only way a disabled parking bay may not work, is if more than one resident is disabled in that block. In this case ff the landlord put 2 or more disabled bays in and didn’t allocate them but, certainly worth a try going this route if only to get a charger fitted. The residents seem to respect where each person parks their cars so there’s no issue there.

The only otherway is if the landlord were to do a memorendum of understanding for the sake of having a charger fitted and withdraw it say in 12 months seen only in the small print of the leese agreement.

kezo
                              Participant

the housing officer is going to try and contact Ohme via phone and ask what the importance of it is.  I’ve suggested the landlord write a letter saying it’s for my exclusive use but then I write one afterwards stating I forfeit the exclusive use after installation or something along those lines, I’m not expecting lines painted on the car park or it put into the tenancy agreement

LOL just said that in my last post (slow today!)

Callmejohn
                                Participant

Mikeydarlo, I obviously have never seen your building or parking situation, however if as you say all the tenants have a disability, but acknowledge what is considered as your parking spot, as well as having their own usual parking spot. Could you ask your landlord, with the consent of your fellow neighbours that he designates individually numbered parking spots, which would allow you to have a charger fitted next to your designated parking space. Obviously this is allowing that the cable is no danger to any of your neighbours tripping over it.

Mikeydarlo
                                  Participant

I literally park my car alongside the back of my living room wall, that area has room for 4 cars, at present including mine there are only two using it.  Unfortunately that’s exactly what my landlord doesn’t want to do, I’ve lived here nearly 17yrs and have under a previous landlord requested our own spaces when there were a lot more neighbours had vehicles and sometimes it got a bit “parking wars” but was declined then too.

really I just want to know if a granting of a temporary exclusivity while installation took place would be enough for Ohme,  unfortunately communication seems to have dried up with them unless I open another ticket.  I’m not saying my landlord would even agree to temporary but it might help sway them.

I feel like the landlord is being really short sighted, his general attitude is go use a public charger which I’m not interested in, I’d rather cancel, he’s not thinking this is going to improve the value of my property for the future because I’m unlikely to take the charger with me if I ever left

kezo
                                    Participant

really I just want to know if a granting of a temporary exclusivity while installation took place would be enough for Ohme,  unfortunately communication seems to have dried up with them unless I open another ticket.  I’m not saying my landlord would even agree to temporary but it might help sway them. I feel like the landlord is being really short sighted, his general attitude is go use a public charger which I’m not interested in, I’d rather cancel, he’s not thinking this is going to improve the value of my property for the future because I’m unlikely to take the charger with me if I ever left

I honestly see no issue with Ohme roviding your landlord works with you on idea’s suggested by you nd I.

Landords and that includes housing associations and local authorities are very short sited with this and frankly don’t want to know untill the government makes it a legal requirement. At this point landlords will have to provide them from their own funds. As I said very short sighted and to be honest are looking a gift horse in the mouth!

Its worth pushing the idea stated but, do remember you have a backup plan, which I understand you dn’t want to go down that route but, it may make your landlord to stand up and listen to your initial plan – no cost to him other than a bit of paperwork!

Mikeydarlo
                                      Participant

Cheers kezo I might give Ohme a call tomorrow, see if I can get an answer to the temporary question then at least I’ve got something that’s not unreasonable to put before the landlord if Ohme are happy with that

Adrian_H

I wonder if the issue might be that OHM’s agreement with Motability only allows them to fix charges where the Motability client has exclusive use of the space. Motability wouldn’t want to fit a charger only to then have the client contacting them to say that they can’t use the charger because other people are always parking in the space. Perhaps ask your landlord for a letter saying that the spaces are for exclusive use of tenants. They wouldn’t be saying that any particular space is exclusively for you but it might be enough for OHM. Depending on your site chances are that with an 8m cable there may be 2 or 3 different spaces you could park in and be able to use the charger anyway.

Mikeydarlo
                                          Participant

Yes this is what I’m wondering, where is the directive coming from , it sounded like it was an Ohme rule for the health and safety of their contractors, they have never mentioned at any point that it’s a motability rule.

I’ve just been mentally going round my neighbours and out of 18 bungalows including myself there are currently only 4 of us with vehicles and probably parking spaces for 15 to 20 vehicles , all motability and I’m the only one capable of driving themselves.  Granting me a space is hardly going to cause a pandemonium in the building

kezo
                                            Participant

@Mikeydarlo Another point I have just thought of, is there a footpath between your home and where you car is parked?

Ohme will not allow an installation if the charger cable crossed a public footpath – see @Phaedra ‘s post.

A picture would be good if your able to showing where your parking space in relation to you home 🙂

Phaedra
                                              Participant

I have a feeling that even if Kerbocharge get Ohme to reconsider my install they’ll find something like this to refuse it again.  They’ve confirmed Ohme are already fitting chargers using the Kerbocharge gullys in the UK, Durham has had several installs done recently.

My HA don’t allocate parking spaces but as above I’ve parked in the same space for over 11 years, my neighbours also park in their same spaces as well.

I can’t see what the problem is, all I want is the charger fitted to the wall, no cable as I’ll provide my own (need 10m).

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Mikeydarlo
                                                Participant

Here you go so that’s my front room exiting onto fenced patio area, where I park is where that yellow monster truck is parked (very old photo from google maps) right up along the back wall of my front room which is the wall where I want the charger put.  There’s only one other car shares that parking area currently.   I do have a side concern that they may come and say it’s not off road parking.  Tho the access road is private, maintained and lit by the landlord it’s not a council road

Road

Mikeydarlo
                                                  Participant

Road

kezo
                                                    Participant

From looking at the picture, there is no footpath at the rear of your property which is a plus!

My advice is “keep” talking to your landlord untill you can both come up with a tempory agreement, which will benifit you both in the long run.

As of now there is no legal requirement for a landlord to provide EV charge points but this is expected to change later this decade and become a legal requirement. However, the current law does give tennants the right to install a charge point. (oneday your or any landlord will have to provide EV chargers for their tennants – its in their best interest to help!)

Option 2 (probably not what you want to hear)

The current law allows tennants the right to install a charge point if they pay for it or upon agreement with the landlord, they will pay for it upfront with either the tennant paying the landlord back in full or via an increase in rent.

The reason I mention this option is, the £350 OZEV grant is still open to tennants, where the landlord applies for the grant but, passes on the reduced cost to you. However, you are still out of pocket by around £750 depending on the charger fitted. Never the less you are still saving compared to a typical install.

Option 3 (more to do with the landord but, may benifit you)

The infrastructure grant for residential car parks.  This is for the landlords of residential buildings who wish to instal a charging infrastructure for five or more parking spaces.

This grant allows landlords to claim up to £30,000 or 75% of the installation costs depending on whether the spaces have a chargepoint or just cabling.

I know the latter 2 options aren’t what you want to hear and I encourage you to keep talking to your landlord however these are alternative backup plan should you ever wish to pursue. More details can be provided if every you need them!

Mikeydarlo
                                                      Participant

Thanks for those options, I’ve just had a reply from Ohme that didn’t actually answer the question I asked yesterday via email, they are now saying they need

“You would need to specify that there is permission to run the installation through any communal areas (internal/external) if required and that the parking space is designated to the property for the tenants sole use”

I mean do they also want permission from my neighbours in case they need to run the cable under their duvets and up their asses? I think it might be less hassle to get permission to build a space port.  My land lord is not going to give them blanket permission to drill thro communal walls and basically do what they want with the building .  That’s basically writing them a blank cheque to do what the hell they like

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.