Notability hoist has damaged my wheelchair seat

• Creator
    Topic
  • #148050 Reply
    Ellen jenkins

I received my Volkswagen Tiguan in October 2020 after I was assured that my electric wheelchair would fit in the boot with a hoist. The car and my chair were taken to get the hoist fitted and was brought back. For a few weeks it was ok but then gradually the hoist dropped to such an extent that I was unable to get my chair out of the car unless I pulled it about. The hoist has damaged the seat of my new wheelchair in several places now and the same thing has happened again. I took it back to the hoist installer who told me that the car was not big enough for the wheelchair and the hoist is not suitable. So I asked him what I should do about it and he asked  me how long I had had the car. I told him October and he hmphed and wouldn’t be drawn on any more questions. I have emailed Motability twice over the past two weeks but they haven’t responded. So I really am unsure what my next steps should be.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #148052 Reply
    joss

@Ellen jenkins

Hello there Ellen

I received my Volkswagen Tiguan in October 2020 after I was assured that my electric wheelchair would fit in the boot with a hoist.

Who assured you of this?

I took it back to the hoist installer who told me that the car was not big enough for the wheelchair and the hoist is not suitable.

Humm yet the hoist installer was happy enough to install a hoist that clearly was not up to the job, in a car that was not big enough.

As you have not as yet had a reply to your emails. I would ring Motability customer services and inform them of what has happened.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#148053 Reply
    Ellen jenkins

Hi Joss, thanks for reply. The Volkswagen Motability assistant in my local showroom told me it would fit after he rang the hoist installers with my wheelchair specs. I think that I will ring Motability because I’m worried that the longer it goes in they may not take the car back. Thanks

#148070 Reply
    joss

Please keep us updated Ellen if you don’t mind. It may help others facing similar problems in the future.

Personally I think you have a strong case if you want/need to return the car because these issues. As it no long meets your needs.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#148087 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I received my Volkswagen Tiguan in October 2020 after I was assured that my electric wheelchair would fit in the boot with a hoist. The car and my chair were taken to get the hoist fitted and was brought back. For a few weeks it was ok but then gradually the hoist dropped to such an extent that I was unable to get my chair out of the car unless I pulled it about. The hoist has damaged the seat of my new wheelchair in several places now and the same thing has happened again. I took it back to the hoist installer who told me that the car was not big enough for the wheelchair and the hoist is not suitable. So I asked him what I should do about it and he asked me how long I had had the car. I told him October and he hmphed and wouldn’t be drawn on any more questions. I have emailed Motability twice over the past two weeks but they haven’t responded. So I really am unsure what my next steps should be.

I am looking at your post you say for a few weeks the hoist worked , so I am assuming at the time of installation the installer tested, checked and signed of the hoist as working correctly ?

If that is the case there is nothing wrong with the vehicle or the hoist, it has either been incorrectly installed or just merely requires some adjustment ?

My theory the installer has forgotten to torque all the fittings up ?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#148090 Reply
    ajn

I am looking at your post you say for a few weeks the hoist worked , so I am assuming at the time of installation the installer tested, checked and signed of the hoist as working correctly ?

If that is the case there is nothing wrong with the vehicle or the hoist, it has either been incorrectly installed or just merely requires some adjustment ?

My theory the installer has forgotten to torque all the fittings up ?

However it’s not working as it should and causing damage, I’m sure Ellen don’t need this disruption in her life..

They should be sorting this out with priority in my opinion..

Best of luck with it Ellen as stated please post any updates..

#148092 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I am looking at your post you say for a few weeks the hoist worked , so I am assuming at the time of installation the installer tested, checked and signed of the hoist as working correctly ? If that is the case there is nothing wrong with the vehicle or the hoist, it has either been incorrectly installed or just merely requires some adjustment ? My theory the installer has forgotten to torque all the fittings up ? However it’s not working as it should and causing damage, I’m sure Ellen don’t need this disruption in her life.. They should be sorting this out with priority in my opinion.. Best of luck with it Ellen as stated please post any updates..

You will probably find the Installer know exactly what has gone wrong, but does not want to pay for the damaged caused, and I agree Motability needs to sort this one out promptly.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Notability hoist has damaged my wheelchair seat
Your information: