Not everyone can or wants to go fully electric just yet’

• This topic has 37 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago by sif.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #170520 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Steve Fowler highlights the importance hybrids have in the switch to fully electric cars

We’re big fans of the Kia Niro – the car that really started to position the Korean brand as a major player in the fast-growing world of electric cars.

The new model looks set to continue the good work of its predecessor by giving buyers the opportunity to taste electrification without having to go the whole hog; it’ll be available as a hybrid, plug-in hybrid or a full EV. I’m not sure that contrasting rear panel does it any favours, though.

What is clear is that not everyone can or wants to go fully electric just yet, in spite of the proliferation of EVs from every major manufacturer. And hybrids do their bit to lower emissions and reduce running costs, while not relying on a plug and socket. Even if you do have easy access to charging, hybrids are ideal stepping stones on the road to full electrification.

Hybrids are already being used to good effect in performance cars, too – and in Formula One. Driving some of the very latest performance hybrids feels like a natural evolution for fast cars rather than a step towards the eventual full electrification of sports cars.

A number of you are asking whether you should buy a petrol car or an EV, and if there’s still place for (whisper it) diesel?

The biggest barrier to EV ownership these days seems to be the UK’s public charging network, which is where our list of the best chargepoint providers can come in handy.

But even still, the SMMT President George Gillespie said this week, “It is so frustrating to find broken chargers, blocked chargers, multiple apps and confusing payment schemes.” It’s clear that more needs to be done to increase and improve the UK’s EV charging network.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 12 replies - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #170671 Reply
    ajn

The cars great, quiet, fast, comfortable however in this day and age with that discription and title, mpg is shockingly bad, the tax on this thing would be over £500 a year I think, so being so new what happened to environment protection, madness in a way…

#170673 Reply
    oscarmax

Wow that’s poor average mpg over 6500 miles, I thought mine was poor over the last few weeks averaging just over 40mpg due the cold weather, over the past 17 1/2 months and 9500 miles our average all in just over 100 mpg and our Outlander PHEV is the old outdated technology

#170675 Reply
    oscarmax

The last post was for Ajn

#170678 Reply
    ajn

My 2005 s40 was better than this, no gimmicks just a 2ltr petrol engine, had it 15 ish years, the s40 before that
    S reg 1.8 petrol again 15 years previous was also better mpg…

this is not improvement at all, just a gimmick on paper hybrid electric, they must test drive these thing 8 miles down hill coasting in eco mode  for the figures they produced, in comfort mode 31 mpg, dynamic 🤣 well under 30mpg possible 27 mpg..

#170679 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Imho, self charging hybrids as well as mild hybrids are nonsense, at least from an economical/environmental point of view. Neither will help much with fuel consumption (you still drive the majority of time on petrol), both are considerably more expensive than their pure ICE equivalents, making the extra 5-10 mpg on long distances (while not being able to drive purely electric on demand) pointless.

It’s either PHEV, or EV – everything else is snake oil and doesn’t help your wallet, nor the environment.

In regards to the topic, it’s true to some extent. It’s not that there’s no chargers available, but that usually they’re broken/glitched/bugged/not usable, on top of the absolute idiocy that they require seventy-twelve different apps/accounts. Imagine going to a petrol station just to realise that the first one simply doesn’t work, the second one doesn’t accept debit cars, the third one doesn’t accept credit cards, the fourth one finally accepts cash. It’d be annoying as flip, yet with chargers it’s even worse.

On that basis i can understand someone rejecting the idea of electric, because it can very much be hassle, sadly usually that’s not really the argument. The argument usually is some bollocks about how EVs aren’t better for the environment (they are), or how cobalt isn’t mined ethically (while typing on a device assembled in factories that require netting to prevent their employees from jumping off the roof), or how literally the country catches fire everywhere because of people charging, polluting more than ICE cars ever could (don’t even know where to start there).

We decided against an EV, mainly because while we test drove them and they were lovely drives, we didn’t feel comfortable enough in the available ones. The ID3 interior was.. spartan, lets put it that way, the Kona interior is better but didn’t gather much traction with the wife (and we very much don’t like the exterior), the 2008, well.. nah. A PHEV suits us just as much, and does have a few advantages in our driving situation. 95% of our journeys are still 100% electric, and the rest can be done at around 150mpg (we know because we drove the tour on our test drive). Good enough.

That all said: there won’t be much alternative. Hydrogen cars aren’t gonna be a proper thing for at least another 5-10 years, if at all. There’s a few cars out there, but barely any infrastructure to support them. I can’t see manufacturers go all in on a technology that’s basically undrivable (due to not being able to refuel), until the infrastructure is in place. Electric cars only gained traction after the charging network expanded, too.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#170681 Reply
    ajn

That’s your opinion Rene, it’s respected but don’t make you right in everything you express..

large parts of the Country are without power now 7th day and climbing due to a storm, possible climate change responsible for it, however bet all the delivery trucks, and off road repair vehicles  and every thing to put this right are fossil fuel powered..

#170686 Reply
    struth
    Participant

my chr is a self charge hybrid and its economy is excellent. best ive had tbh. currently im getting 48/53mpg, but in better weather i was getting 58/64mpg without trying too hard. i think in many ways it depends on trype of driving you do etc. i have had over 90mpg but i really was trying on those occasions and had wind and slight drop in elevation on my side.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#170744 Reply
    sif

I personally think we EV drivers should wear a small, un-ostentatious lapel badge, just a small thing so that we can identify each other and show ‘who’ we are. I was thinking of something in Gold with, ‘We Drive EV so that Others May Live’ emblazoned across it.

#170747 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

sif my personal favourite is “changing the world, one car at a time”.

Here are some more to consider.

#170750 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Just incase you were wondering the above are off the internet and not from me.

#170751 Reply
    struth
    Participant

or “be smug that you don’t pollute, the car maker did” lol

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#170878 Reply
    sif

Brydo and Struth, really made me laugh.

Viewing 12 replies - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Reply #170652 in Not everyone can or wants to go fully electric just yet’
Your information: