Not a fan of this idea. For ev owners

• Creator
    Topic
    pauld
    Participant

Anybody else who owns EV had this email?

Hello Paul,
      We’re getting in touch about your Motability Scheme vehicle, with registration number ###### which is part of an exciting trial we’re running using ‘connected vehicle’ data. This helps to pro-actively arrange support for electric vehicles (EVs) on the Motability Scheme.

This technology lets us monitor the health of your EV. By collecting this data, we can see if any maintenance is needed which could help to avoid breaking down or a bigger issue in the future.

Our aim is to understand how we can use connected vehicle data to make sure your EV is running at its best, offer peace of mind and make this a bigger part of vehicle maintenance going forward.

What is a ‘connected vehicle’?

This is a vehicle that’s connected to the internet and can send data about itself to other places.

Most new cars sold today are now connected vehicles.

How the trial works

Our connected vehicles team and the RAC will contact you if they notice anything that might lead to an issue, so they can offer support.

They might organise a visit from one of their patrols vehicles, or give you advice over the phone on what you need to do next.

During this trial we’re hoping to learn more about how we can use connected vehicle data to help our customers. We cannot guarantee we’ll prevent every breakdown, but we hope to reduce the chances of this happening.

We will not collect data on your driving style, your vehicle’s location, or the journeys you make as part of this trial.

How long is the trial?

We’ll be trialling this for up to 3 months initially, starting from Friday 1st March 2024.

Vehicle data is sent to us directly from your vehicle, so you do not need to sign up. Please contact us on 0300 456 4566 if you’d like to opt out of being contacted by the RAC for the pro-active maintenance pilot.

You can find more information on our connected vehicles privacy notice by visiting our website.

Kind Regards,

Motability Operations

Connect with us on social media

We are Motability Operations Limited, all Motability Scheme vehicles are leased to customers by us. Motability Operations Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Registered in England and Wales Co No 1373876. Registered address: Motability Operations Limited, City Gate House, 22 Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 9HB.

We are committed to protecting and safeguarding your personal data. View our privacy notice here.

If you do not wish to receive any further research emails from Motability Operations Limited, please click here to update your preferences or unsubscribe.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

never heard of it personally

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
        Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

kezo
        Participant

Not sure as I’d be happy with that, regardless of it being an EV or ICE.

Apart from notifying of any issues, they will be able to keep track on how many times you have locked, unlocked the car, your journey times and mileage, where, how and how often you charge and whether you went Tesco or Asda for your weekly shopping etc

Tam
          Spectator

All vehicles sold are “connected vehicles” all new vehicles have telematics installed

Participant

I don’t have an EV but even my ICE shares my location data and monitors the vehicle by default. I do have the option of switching both services off but can’t really see the point. If they want to snoop on my rather tedious, boring life let them have at it.

If I had something to hide however…..

If I seem a little strange, that's because I am.

Skoda Karoq SEL.

Ele
              Participant

I would for £100 pm but not for free

Participant

I can see the positives of this scheme but also lots of negatives, some of which Kezo has highlighted above. Also, no matter what assurances I was given about them not collecting any data on my driving style, speed, location etc, I wouldn’t believe them.

kj35
                  Participant

I don’t have an EV but even my ICE shares my location data and monitors the vehicle by default. I do have the option of switching both services off but can’t really see the point. If they want to snoop on my rather tedious, boring life let them have at it. If I had something to hide however…..

it’s interesting this viewpoint about not having things to hide etc. just a reminder going to the park was made illegal in the not too distant past.

Ioniq
                    Participant

As its a Leased Vehicle, you probably have zero choice anyway.

It is not your vehicle in the first place. Go over the speed limit an no doubt this will be tracked by the owner. Doesnt that happen with hire cars? Does not matter if its a petrol or ev car.

Oscarmax
                      Participant

Personally I don’t see a problem, monitor away.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.