Nissan Leaf 50000 Miles | True Cost of Ownership

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

What does it cost to own and run a Nissan Leaf? I have had mine for 4 years and covered 50000 miles. That’s 12.5k a year. The Leaf isn’t a little local runaround it’s a proper family car that can cover good miles with little trouble. In this video I add up the total cost of running my leaf and compare it to my ICE car and finally we look at the big issue, the battery. What does Leaf Spy tell us about the health of my EV battery?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Just2Fish

I don’t have an electric car, the sort of car that I need, an MPV, isn’t available yet as an electric, but a friend of mine does and he has made three savings over these figures. Firstly he bought a 6 month old top of the range Leaf for £20,000, a significant saving over the new price, secondly he uses the much cheaper Economy 7 rate to charge the car at night, and thirdly he only does that if he hasn’t charged it for free during the day from the solar panels that he has anyway, and which pay for themselves.

ChrisK
        Participant

Tell your friend to make the most of it while it lasted because regardless of how much you pay for electricity no government can lose the billions they collect in duty from petrol or diesel so road charging by the mile will be inevitable in the near future as they can’t put the duty on your standard electric bill.

Just a quick sum of the top of my head and I would say my current car weights in at about 17p per mile and 80% of that sum in duty and VAT at 20% so a true cost of about 5p per mile plus taxes.

These sums are not highly accurate but you see where I’m going.

Just2Fish

The future taxation comment is a fair one.

Brydo
            Participant

J2F he sounds like very shroud person, just now solar panels only make commercial sense if you have an EV, although they are very good for the planet. I have solar panels but no EV, yet, and last year, if I had an EV, I would have been travelling free, yes free for six months of the year.

You just have to read some of the replies to EV topics on the forum to see that not everyone is convinced about EV’s. One of the reasons I post EV topics is to show how much can be saved by using an EV.

Of course this will change in the coming years as government claws back the lost fuel tax, but for now the savings are huge.

Oscarmax
              Participant

Tell your friend to make the most of it while it lasted because regardless of how much you pay for electricity no government can lose the billions they collect in duty from petrol or diesel so road charging by the mile will be inevitable in the near future as they can’t put the duty on your standard electric bill. Just a quick sum of the top of my head and I would say my current car weights in at about 17p per mile and 80% of that sum in duty and VAT at 20% so a true cost of about 5p per mile plus taxes. These sums are not highly accurate but you see where I’m going.

Their out to get Chris

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/new-fuel-tax-annual-road-toll/

Dale

my understanding is that the uk is charged by the EU a kind of fine if they don’t reduce the carbon output from cars each year by a set amount so by having a EV car you save them more than they lose in tax.

correct me if i’m wrong as i’m going from memory.

Dale.

ChrisK
                  Participant

Tell your friend to make the most of it while it lasted because regardless of how much you pay for electricity no government can lose the billions they collect in duty from petrol or diesel so road charging by the mile will be inevitable in the near future as they can’t put the duty on your standard electric bill. Just a quick sum of the top of my head and I would say my current car weights in at about 17p per mile and 80% of that sum in duty and VAT at 20% so a true cost of about 5p per mile plus taxes. These sums are not highly accurate but you see where I’m going.

Their out to get Chris https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/new-fuel-tax-annual-road-toll/

We all know there would be some form of tax collection but I hope they don’t go for a lump sum road fund tax as mentioned in that article because I only spend about £1,000 per year and if you take the £700 tax from that that leaves me with £300 to buy electricity and can’t imagine an electric car can travel 5 or 6,000 miles per year on £300 of electricity, could be wrong not having one to know but that sounds a tall order.

Charging by the mile would be fairer but governments like to talk about being fairer to workers but its very hard to see were there being fair when they talk about charging x amount a day to bring an old car into town when its there “hard working workers” as they like to repeat who can’t afford new cars

Oscarmax
                    Participant

Octopus energy charge an off peak night rate at present 5 pence an hour and yes all green energy, in theory the current Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV on short journey up to 25 miles will easily do it for less than £300. The much more efficient EV could easily do this this for much less.

Anonymous

The TAX thing is interesting. Electric cars are out there now. They could easily tax the fast charging stations. They could easily tax the home chargers with SIM cards. Taxing someone with a 240v charger becomes harder. They would have to have the car report back and do that and I bet the technology is there as I was looking at ways to hack the Zoes and it turned out Renault can actually disable them remotely and track them.? Then they could BLACK BOX them all but this would take sometime and there would seem to be nothing in the pipeline. I think we have a good few years yet!?

Brydo
                        Participant

At this moment in time the government want to encourage people to change to all electric cars so It will be a while before that changes.

I would imagine the software is already in all BEVs to track everywhere you go otherwise full autonomy would be impossible.

Philjb

Yes I would imagine the software is in place already to record milage.

But id need a car double the size of the leaf

Even more space then the current  Mitsubishi hybrid.

But i can see it coming to the scheme in a bigger way soon. It just comes down to AP.  Plus other manufacturers having the reliability of Honda.

Brydo
                            Participant

Phil something as large as you require, in BEV format, is probably a few years off. With regard to reliability all BEVs are very reliable.

Philjb

I meant charge point reliability mate.  But I’m guessing AA or RAC by then can bump up our charge to get home or onward.

Like we bought a mini battery charger led light.

which can start a 3.5 ltr derv but is mobile size.

Brydo
                                Participant

That exists already Phil the RAC have vehicles that can come along and give you a charge but I take your point.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.