NINE MONTH PIP EXTENSION LETTERS FLOOD OUT

• Creator
    Topic
  • #137825 Reply
    joss

NINE MONTH PIP EXTENSION LETTERS FLOOD OUT

From Benefit & Work web site
    We’re hearing from lots of members who have received a letter from the DWP telling them that their PIP award has been extended, usually by nine months.

The letter reads:

‘We suspended Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Award Reviews because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

We suspended Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Award Reviews because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

We have now begun reviewing PIP awards again and we may look at some awards later than we originally planned. To make sure that you still receive your payments we have extended your award until . . .”

The letter then gives a new end date for the award, typically 9 months after it was originally due to end.

Claimants whose award was due to end as far off as 2029 have told us it has now been extended into 2030.

850,000 PIP claimants should be receiving similar letters in the next few moths..

It’s a rare bit of good news in a brown envelope.

We have now begun reviewing PIP awards again and we may look at some awards later than we originally planned. To make sure that you still receive your payments we have extended your award until . . .”

The letter then gives a new end date for the award, typically 9 months after it was originally due to end.

Claimants whose award was due to end as far off as 2029 have told us it has now been extended into 2030.

850,000 PIP claimants should be receiving similar letters in the next few moths..

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #137876 Reply
    Slimtrim

I received this letter on Monday thinking it was a mistake as had my PIP already renewed in November, now been extended by a further 2 years according to the letter. A bit of good news indeed.

#137877 Reply
    joss

Glad to hear that Slimtrim.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#137878 Reply
    Georgie

Yup – 9 month extension to September 2023, which means I can now order my next vehicle without having to get through a reassessment first. 🙂

#137879 Reply
    Belfast4

At £0.50p postage that is only £425,000 they must have some money to spend.

#137886 Reply
    Des

I had 12 months added on to mine in November.

#137887 Reply
    Craig

I’ve just had to reapply no word of an extension.  You would think after wining my case at tribunal last time out they would take that into consideration unless they want revenge!!!

#137895 Reply
    moggy
    Participant

My wife’s award was due to end next year so was expecting a letter this year.

last July we had a letter of the DWP saying that they had looked again at the award and decided that it will be ongoing and she won’t be contacted until after July 2030.

#137912 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Too late though, I have had the Heart attack as soon as I see the postie coming up the path with a brown envelop.😁

My award is until 2027 so will let all know if I receive one but seems a bit pointless to me.

#137921 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Pointless indeed considering all the people still waiting for a first assessment.

I have an ongoing award so expecting a “light touch” review in 2030 assuming I’m still here!.

My adult autistic son has a 10yr award, they just wrote to extend it by 7 months to Feb 2030, se pretty pointless to me.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#137959 Reply
    Brook Campbell

My son’s award was up in August 2022.. got a letter last week giving new 3 year reward from April 1.

Seems it’s different extensions for different people.

#137960 Reply
    Confusicated
    Participant

They extended mine to April 2022. That’s when my current lease runs out.

Current Motability car: Ford Kuga Vignale (2019-old shape) 1.5 petrol auto AWD. AP £2,395 + £199 for 4-way 80kg hoist.

Previous Motability cars:
    2013-16 Ford Focus estate petrol auto. AP £95. No adaptations.
    2016-19 Vauxhal Zafira 1.4T petrol SE Auto. AP £795 inc. basic hoist.

#138430 Reply
    Carl

I had the good news letter last week, and extra 12 months for me until 2025 🙂

#139479 Reply
    joss

In addition to the above Topic: NINE MONTH PIP EXTENSION LETTERS FLOOD OUT This has just been released on The benefits and works web site:

PIP EXTENSION LETTERS CLOSELY FOLLOWED BY REVIEW FORMS
    The flood of PIP award extension letters we highlighted in the last newsletter is being followed, sometimes within days or weeks, by review forms for some claimants.

Members have been getting in touch and telling us things like:

I received the same letter in November last year, but in December I received a further letter and the review forms which had to be completed and returned!!

Or:

I had the same letter in December 2020 extending to December 2021 so heaved a huge sigh of relief as this comes in every 2.5 years usually having a month to fill out over Christmas. I received a smaller form to update my conditions and can’t believe it’s due in 3 weeks when my original PIP didn’t end till May 2021.

Others claimants have received extension letters which wrongly reduce the length of the award.

I know other people have been receiving PIP extension letters. I have now received one, with an extension date of July 2023. However this extension date is sooner than the actual award length expiry date.

And one member has warned of issues with Motability vehicles.

There’s a sting in the tail with these letters though. Anyone with a Blue Badge will have to re-apply for the badge and entitlement to that new badge will end at the same time as the extended PIP date. My motability car is also due for replacement but can’t be because the extension doesn’t cover a three year period. Whilst not having to worry about PIP renewal applications for a few more months, this extension is not without it’s own problems.

Have you had an extension letter and has it proved to be a mixed blessing? Do let us know.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#139485 Reply
    bfoandc

I’m pretty sure that it is only one year’s award remaining and not three as it used to be.

From Motability website:

“According to the Scheme guidelines, you need to have at least 12 months remaining on your award to join the Motability Scheme. If you have less than 12 months remaining, you will not be able to place a new application until the Department for Work and Pensions extend or renew your allowance.”

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: NINE MONTH PIP EXTENSION LETTERS FLOOD OUT
Your information: