Next rental – SUV options considered

This topic contains 64 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Johnny 1 day, 9 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #69057 Reply

Johnny

Hi,

So some time end of next month I will get the approval to order.

Currently have a Ford Kuga Titanium X 150bhp.

Having considered many options, some of which have been removed from the scheme as it stands I will probably get another Kuga, the ST Line Edition, it’s more than I want ideally to pay £2345 but cheaper than some of the other options I looked at and gives me the 180bhp I am looking for.

Considered the VW Tiguan but it’s £650 more for the SEL and the one I really liked was the R Line, now taken off.

I also thought about a BMW X1 but it’s just like a mini X5 to me and due to the number of variations the dealer says it’s almost impossible for me to view or drive one to see what it is like.

I really like the Mazda CX5 but not so keen on the Petrol 165bhp they currently have on the scheme following yet more changes.

Toyota RAV4 and Nissan X Trail were on my list but no longer available, I did speak to Peugeot about the 3008/5008 but never received a call back so discounted them.

Volvo Momentum too expensive. same for Honda CRV.

I really like the styling on the Kuga, it looks great, gives me that extra bit of power, my dealer is also a lot closer to home than the others, there are many similarities with the interior my current car but also quite a few differences too so I don’t think having a Kuga for 6 years will be such an issue, and the exterior looks completely different.

I do feel Ford are taking some of the things away from the car, power tailgate, seat back tables for example but I just think that £645 is worth saving against the VW SEL which I do like but not as much as the R Line.

I would like Ruby Red but that is £850 more, but I do like the look of it in White also so that as it stands barring any R Line addition to the scheme will probably be the one. Kuga ST Line Edition in White.

Any comments appreciated, especially on how the car handles and rides.

Cheers,

Johnny

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #69294 Reply

Efc84

“Always check as some dealerships try charging for packs to include things like reversing camera etc, yet are a standard inclusion with some agreements between Motability and manufacturers”

i didn’t know this! –  this is one feature we will miss massively from our current car as we also chose to order the Kuga ST – Edition but it comes with no camera.

just be carful as you mention the colours of the kuga that you like but bare in mind the alloy wheel colour on the ST Edition are changing to grey from black so the likes of Ruby red might not be your choice with grey metallic alloys….. Just something to think about on how the car will look.

#69299 Reply

JS (justsaying)

@efc84 this is my point on the above statement and your be pleased to know that Ford include reversing sensors FREE(though I’m sure the kuga its standard).Please see 1st sentence under the photo on the  first page on price list. Unfortunately not Camera but it’s start.

https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/home/shop/motability/ford-motability-pricing.pdf

#69304 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

Another point. If you don’t mind the petrol engine – we didn’t – you can get the Vignale for much the same AP, and that has almost all the extra equipment.

#69380 Reply

Dragonfly

I am considering a Volvo XC40 but only petrol versions are on the list.

#69797 Reply

Johnny

Still haven’t decided but not really had the opportunity to drive any of the cars I am interested in, closest was the Tiguan R Line but that was a 150 bhp and I really want a 180/190.

No updates from Ford to test drive a 180 Kuga ST Line Edition, nothing from BMW about the X1 Xdrive sport 190. Contacted Citroen about the C5 Aircross Flair Plus 175 bhp, they are supposedly getting one in soon.

VW Tiguan SEL 190, waiting for my dealer to contact me assuming he gets one I can drive, R Line as it stands now is still not back on the scheme.

#69805 Reply

Glos Guy

Johnny – I don’t believe that the R-Line Tech with the 190Ps engine will appear on the scheme as the retail price exceeds the current Motability price cap.

The 150PS 2.0 manual diesel or auto 1.5 petrol, both 2 wheel drive, fall under £35k (so should appear) but all other variants are above the price cap.

If you are dead set on a Tiguan R-Line Tech, don’t dismiss the 150PS variants, if they come on the scheme. We have a 190PS SEL and the engine doesn’t work as well with the DSG box as the old generation 140PS Tiguan that we had did.

#69806 Reply

Johnny

Thanks – I know it’s unlikely the 190 will be on the scheme, I was just awaiting the updates for clarification.

Like I say as it stands the hard part is choosing when I am unable so far at least to be able to drive any of the cars.

I did drive the 150 R Line and really liked the look of the car, but wanted ideally an 180/190.

The dilemma will probably be a 150 R Line against the 190 SEL, or others such as the Kuga ST Line Edition 180 – it’s just hard to come to any conclusions at the moment without driving them all.

#70060 Reply

Johnny

Just an update – I had booked test drives today for VW Tiguan R Line 150 DSG auto and Ford Kuga ST Line X 180 manual.

The latter I had found myself at a dealer slightly further away from where we live as our closest one hadn’t been back to me, presumably because they can’t get a car for me to test.

The Kuga test drive was a non event, the car had a flat battery and they weren’t allowed to jump start it , so much for driving 2 in the same day! Said I would maybe get back to them later in the week.

The Tiguan R Line was a different story, really friendly dealer and just felt so comfortable talking with him.

I knew the car looked great, but it drives great too and is nicer than my current Kuga Titanium X on the inside too. My doubts about a 150 as opposed to the 190 were negligible in the end, the 150 felt powerful enough on a short motorway cruise and also comfortable around town too. You don’t really get any benefit of the 190 until you hit much higher speeds (which is at least 80mph and over the limit I guess too).

So the power side of things isn’t so much of an issue.

Whether I go back to Ford for a Kuga drive I am not sure, next steps is for my wife (who is at work), to view the R Line , I know she likes the way the car looks but just want to ensure she is happy comfort wise especially in the rear.

R Line looks great, has everything we need, love the dashboard display, dark headliner, panoramic roof, seats are nice, sat nav display unit is nice and also well located. It just looks more modern than the Kuga’s interior. Drives well, steering is light but you don’t feel a lack of control, and it has a smooth movement over the surface. I am finding it hard coming up with any negatives to be honest.

When I got back in my current Kuga it felt less nimble and steering felt heavy and cumbersome compared to the R Line.

Whether I will drive any others (if I can get them that is), I am not sure, next steps is for my wife to go and see the R Line close up and chat to my dealer about it.

Johnny

#70068 Reply

Glos Guy

Johnny – worth mentioning to your wife that the rear seats in the Tiguan are multi-adjustable. You can roll them forwards and backwards but also adjust the backrest angle. Each part (60/40 split) can be adjusted independently of the other. Might make a big difference if she sits in the back. My wife sits in the front, but is definitely a back seat driver!

#70070 Reply

Johnny

Thanks mate! My wife is a back seat driver too.

#70094 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Some how my missus has managed to start back seat driving by text when she’s not even in the car! 😉

#70096 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I got it worse she sot next to me and carefully instructs me with constructive criticism, I find it extremely helpful in busy traffic, the motorway or through Birmingham. I have politely invited her to drive, but she has always way declined? Funny that.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#70099 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

It’s amazing how they seem “tuned in” to all the plebs on the road that are either pulling out on you or not indicating etc, she always comes up with an excuse for them making it feel like it’s your fault for their atrocious standard of driving!

#70100 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I took her out once years ago in my mate’s 640bhp skyline and gave it the berries everywhere, silence was the order of the day I can tell you!(silence was on the cards for about a week after as well!) Hey ho, can’t have everything.

#70101 Reply

Dragonfly

@ Vinalspin

It’s amazing how they seem “tuned in” to all the plebs on the road that are either pulling out on you or not indicating etc, she always comes up with an excuse for them making it feel like it’s your fault for their atrocious standard of driving!

That happens to you as well………………..I feel better already.

#70110 Reply

Glos Guy

Vinalspin & Dragonfly – my wife told me that she is an only child, but she must have two sisters as that is EXACTLY what I get as well. However cretinous the driver, it’s usually my fault.

#70113 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Vinalspin & Dragonfly – my wife told me that she is an only child, but she must have two sisters as that is EXACTLY what I get as well. However cretinous the driver, it’s usually my fault.

I can tell you my wife is so bad, I would have my wifes mouth boarded up if I could afford the timber

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#70127 Reply

Dragonfly

I’ve never understood why I always got the blame,  I was beginning to think it was time to give up driving as I must be loosing it.

A problem  shared is a problem halved. 🙂 🙂

#70148 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

It is a good job none of them can be arsed to troll this forum like we do eh 😉 :0 heh heh heh

#70149 Reply

Winston
    Participant

I’ve just found out that my Wife has been lying to me for 10 years!

Everytime I leave for work in the morning she tells me she is leaving me

And when I get back home she is still there! 😂

I stole that from Denzil in Only Fools and Horses

#70152 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

It is a good job none of them can be arsed to troll this forum like we do eh :0 heh heh heh

The wife would laugh at me and highlight my endearing features like my beer belly and bald patch, after she has finished me I am a crumbling wreck.

#70156 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Got round that years ago, started shaving my head once you could see skin through the hair! 🙄

Stopped drinking 2 1\2 years ago, unfortunately the belly is through lack of exercise so still there. 😫

I also have short term memory problems from the heart attack so I just forget most of the crap she gives me! 😁😂

#70343 Reply

Joe

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the Seat Ateca? Very similar to the Tiguan and has the same 1.5 tsi engine as the VW T-Roc…

Can get the top spec Xcellence Lux for £1749 AP.

#70344 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

I test drove the Ateca last year when we were looking and liked it a lot. Except for the stiff-ish ride – similar to the Kugas ST Line X. To harsh for our disabilities. Shame.  🙁

We paid £2.3k AP for a Kuga Vignale which is due to be delivered in 4 weeks.  🙂

#70358 Reply

Tonybt37

I ask you all to chase Motability to put latest Jaguar E-Pace on the list.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
Reply To: Next rental – SUV options considered

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: