New Vehicle delivery delays

• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Richard.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #147752 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

We are now becoming aware of the near chaos that the semiconductor shortage is causing in new vehicle delays and just how reluctant the motor industry is to report any kind of bad news. The reality is seeping through the mainstream media however. Some manufacturers are being hit very hard and feel it is important that we report all our findings.

We presently drive an ageing Volkswagen T5 Van (wheelchair accessable vehicle) and the time has come to look into its possible replacement (should the stars align and the lottery numbers fall into place). I took a trip to the local VW van centre to see large gaps between the vehicles on the forecourt, a quick chat to a ‘very nice’ employee and my worst fears were confirmed, quoting January 2022 for a new build and zero stock vehicles. I was even offered a 10.5% discount without even opening my mouth, such is the desperation in the sales department.

A quick look on the Forums and it seems that this date could be even later in reality.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #147753 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi wmc

I’m due to order in just over 2 months but thankfully this time around the car I have now is capable of dealing with my disability so although a wait is a pain, it’s a pain I can live with.

When you say “offered a 10.5% discount” was this off the purchase of a car on a private deal or is it 10.5% off the Motability AP.

I know your going to dash my hopes now by telling me its the former and not the latter.😁😢�

#147754 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Chris, I only went along to look at a particular colour to see what it looked like in the light drizzle. I was just about to ask about delivery times and was offered 10.5% discount (retail). I am still in the early stages –  weighing up all the options and was pricing up managing the conversion myself taking into account zero VAT.

#147755 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

I note VW’s boss said very recently that Volkswagen are currently “In crisis mode” due to the shortage of semiconductor chips.

Ford have closed their Otosan plant in Turkey and another Ford plant there is shutting for 3 months. You can only order a new Peugeot 308 with analogue dials instead of a digital one – due to the shortage… although the Company are refunding buyers £400 because of this. Renault have said they are struggling and expect the shortages to last into the first quarter of 2022.

Gloomy times ahead for many car manufacturer’s it seems & very frustrating for anyone wishing to buy or lease a new car in the coming months. On a personal note; I’m so glad I picked up my new car just over a week ago. If I was going into a showroom and ordering a new car in the coming weeks – I think I would have  a lot of disappointment with some (or all) of the models on any shortlist!

#147756 Reply
    Gary

bit annoying that these discounts havent seen their way to the APs though, where it more looks like the retailers are adding on the discounts they offer customers to our APs

#147757 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

bit annoying that these discounts havent seen their way to the APs though, where it more looks like the retailers are adding on the discounts they offer customers to our APs

You have to look at reality though mate, AP’s are set between the Manufacturers and Motability, as are RRP the are given to dealers.  The fact that a dealer is willing to cut their bottom line and reduce their profits has no relation to AP’s or RRP’s!

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#147758 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I note VW’s boss said very recently that Volkswagen are currently “In crisis mode” due to the shortage of semiconductor chips. Ford have closed their Otosan plant in Turkey and another Ford plant there is shutting for 3 months. You can only order a new Peugeot 308 with analogue dials instead of a digital one – due to the shortage… although the Company are refunding buyers £400 because of this. Renault have said they are struggling and expect the shortages to last into the first quarter of 2022.

Invaluable information, I had heard that Ford were being hit particularly hard. Are the Chinese / Japanese / Korean manufacturers fairing better?

#147759 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Gary,  Motability will already have negotiated their own discounts with the manufacturers, for each quarter when calculating the APs.  What dealers offer to retail customers is an entirely different matter and has no bearing on APs.

#147760 Reply
    Mrfunky

It would be a great idea for dealers to sign up on a forum offering stock lines to mobility customers, sure they must have stock to get rid of (somebody might just want that model) or a least for us to look at dealer In stock cars maybe we would get something a lot quicker

#147761 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Invaluable information, I had heard that Ford were being hit particularly hard. Are the Chinese / Japanese / Korean manufacturers fairing better?

Ford update from last week:

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ford-cuts-output-europe-chips-shortage

The recent fire at a Japanese semiconductor plant has hit the automotive industry hard. It produced 30% of the world’s chips – two thirds of which were for the car industry. Both Kia and Hyundai did hold large stocks of chips and have been okay up until now. However, latest reports I’ve read say that both manufacturer’s are now also facing shortages as from this month, May.

#147763 Reply
    Gary

@wigwam and Intranicity  I get that, but by that same token, they could offer discounts on the AP, but most seem reluctant to.

#147764 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

It would be a great idea for dealers to sign up on a forum offering stock lines to mobility customers, sure they must have stock to get rid of (somebody might just want that model) or a least for us to look at dealer In stock cars maybe we would get something a lot quicker

Have a look on the auto trader website, it has the option to only search new cars. Remember, you can order from any dealership nationwide, or if they are part of a group, you will be able to get it transferred. Your local dealership may be able to buy the vehicle on your behalf and supply it to you.

#147768 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Gary, indeed some do, in the form of a contribution towards the AP.  Currently most BMW dealers are offering £500. Bear in mind though, the dealer does not get to keep the AP, or make any direct profit on the sale of the car, He just gets a fee for arranging the sale.

#147774 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Gary, indeed some do, in the form of a contribution towards the AP. Currently most BMW dealers are offering £500. Bear in mind though, the dealer does not get to keep the AP, or make any direct profit on the sale of the car, He just gets a fee for arranging the sale.

Not quite Wigwam. It’s true that the dealers get a set fee BUT Motability sales also count towards dealership, group and manufacturer volume targets, which can trigger bonuses of many thousands of pounds. With the discount on options, as well as AP, we have got over £800 discount in total on our recent X1 Motability order and the dealer is very keen that we don’t cancel because of the delay, so they re clearly making a hell of a lot more than that on our order.

As for buying a new car, 10.5% would just be the start point. I have bought 3 new cars over the past 6 or 7 years and I got between 18 and 25% off all of them (Hyundai, Volkswagen and BMW). Discounts comprise 3 separate contributions – dealer, manufacturer and finance – although you can pay off the finance a few weeks after taking delivery of the car and not have to pay back the discount. Would have done the same this time but Mrs Glos Guy wants us to stick with Motability for now as we are doing an expensive extension on our house next year (for my wife’s disability) and will need to empty the piggy bank for that!

#147775 Reply
    Appleman

Lets stick to the point here guys,delivery delays, not about prices, new car prices are rising anyway but delivery is the main point of this topic , would be good to hear how long you are being given for delivery

#147781 Reply
    Richard

Despite some in the industry being somewhat optimistic I just can’t see the situation improving for a minimum of 18 months maybe more like 36.

Its just such a terrible confluence of badness with pandemic, increases in cars that need ever more complex silicon & increases in volume of EVs too, the fact no marques carry inventory of this stuff coupled with the heavy demand in the computer game industry.

Try buying a new Xbox, PS5 or even a new CPU or graphics card. There’s only so much capacity on the planet to manufacture this stuff.

We also have another boom in crypto mining eating up all this stuff as fast as it comes off the production line.

I can see this lasting in various guides for the next 2 maybe 3 years if not longer. There’s no way of opening new fabs to add to production in a short time frame.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: New Vehicle delivery delays
Your information: