New Toyota RAV4 plug-in hybrid priced from £47,395 (WHAT, I SAY WHAT!)

• Creator
    Topic
  • #130910 Reply
    Brydo

This makes the Volvo XC40 PHEV look like a steal.

Maximum electric range of 46 miles and almost 300mpg for new plug-in hybrid Toyota RAV4

The Toyota RAV4 plug-in hybrid will be priced from £47,395 in the UK, The firm has announced. When deliveries start in summer 2021, the PHEV crossover will provide fresh competition for the likes of the Hyundai Tucson and Volkswagen Tiguan.

The RAV4’s plug-in powertrain comprises a 2.5-litre Atkinson cycle petrol engine, a pair of electric motors and an 18kWh lithium-ion battery pack. The system has a combined output of 302bhp, which Toyota says is enough for a 0–62mph time of six seconds flat and a best in-class electric range of 46 miles.

Toyota says the PHEV RAV4 will return up to 282.5mpg on the WLTP combined cycle, while emitting only 22g/km of CO2. What’s more, in an urban environment, Toyota claims the SUV’s electric range can be stretched to as much as 60 miles.

Like the standard RAV4 hybrid, the PHEV model features Toyota’s electric all-wheel-drive system, with the combustion engine and front electric motor powering the front axle, and a separate rear-mounted electric motor powering the rear axle. Both motors also feature regenerative braking to charge the battery – the strength of which can be adjusted using a pair of paddle shifters mounted to the steering wheel.

UK buyers will have their choice of two trim-levels – Dynamic and Dynamic Premium. The base-model comes as standard with 19-inch alloy wheels, LED headlamps, heated front and rear seats and a nine-inch infotainment system. Every model will also come with a 6.6kW charging cable for use with a domestic wallbox charger.

Toyota’s Dynamic Premium model builds on this specification with a panoramic sunroof, black leather upholstery, ventilated and memory activated front seats, a head-up display and an upgraded JBL stereo system. Prices for the flagship start from £50,895.

Toyota has also fitted the RAV4 Plug-in with a host of standard safety equipment, including lane departure warning with steering assist, automatic high beam assist, automatic adaptive cruise control, road sign assist and a pre-collision system with pedestrian detection.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #130917 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

It is mighty impressive though, lots of goodies and up to 60 miles, on electric only, in an urban environment, excellent.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#130931 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Brydo lovely car cant see it coming on the scheme at that price and over the 225 bhp limit.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#130935 Reply
    Brydo

No chance oscarmax but these are the types of cars that should be coming on if we want everyone to go electric they need to be on. That’s this one, the xc40 and probably the Tiguan all too expensive for the scheme.

What can be done?

#130943 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Car ownership for many will be a pastime, alot cannot afford a mid/large new car right now and even 2nd hand ones will be out of reach for many and then there’s the schemes going on aimed at solely cutting car usage like closing roads to all cars etc, alot like the war on smoking or sugar.

I deffo think by 2030 i will have left the scheme or it will have to be closed and at some point we will all just get driverless taxis at extortionate prices. As that will be the only option for us with mobility issues.

#130949 Reply
    Clipped wings

What a ridiculous price. £51 k if you want a sunroof. With discount, can buy a  entry level full size German SUV for that price. Q7/Touareg/ X5/ GLE or a Toyota ? Like all these PHEVs will often be bought to avoid BIK tax and, as often reported, returned at end of lease with the charging cable unused. As such, an inefficient petrol car lumbered with a few hundred kilos of extra weight. Only make sense if plugged in every night and with my disability, I would not relish struggling with cables on a freezing January night. Efficient petrol Allspace will do the job with much less fuss and is on the scheme.

#130960 Reply
    JohnGills
    Participant

It’s not that all excellent Plug-in vehicles are too expensive for motability when you consider the superb plug-ins that have come and then gone on the scheme in recent months. Some of them only being available for a couple of weeks before disappearing. We have recently lost:

i. Citrroen C5 1.6 plug-in Hybrid. ii.Ford Kuga 2.5 Ecoboost PHEV. iii. Peugeot 3008 Plug-in Hybrid Allure. iv. Skoda Superb iV hybrid.

All of the above far superior to anything currently on the schem.

I’m exceedingly keen (as far as my children and grandchildren are concerned I have no choice!) that my next motability car, due to be ordered early in the New year, is a PHEV. I’m therefore hoping that in the next couple of months one or more of the following reasonably priced plug-ins will appear onto the schem:-

1. MG HS 1.5 GDI PHEV

2. Peugeot 508 Plug-in

3. Renault Megane Sport Tourer E-Tech Plug in Hybrid

4. SEAT PHEV Leon and Leon Estae

5. Skoda Octavia Plug-in Hybrid.

All I’m needing is a decent PHEV with good car boot capacity. Is that too much too ask?

(I’m new to this Forum. I hope that I have done things correctly)

#130964 Reply
    Brydo

Welcome john and some great info.

You are a most valued addition to those looking to get an EV on the scheme. Its nearly Xmas so here’s hoping your wish comes true.

#130999 Reply
    Martinod

I haven’t read It yet but OMG £47000 for avRAV4  car prices are getting ridiculous

#131010 Reply
    Azzy

Premium car price, hopefully as the years go on these prices come down to petrol/diesel prices otherwise a lot of people will be priced out

#131025 Reply
    HammerHead
    Participant

Car ownership for many will be a pastime, alot cannot afford a mid/large new car right now and even 2nd hand ones will be out of reach for many and then there’s the schemes going on aimed at solely cutting car usage like closing roads to all cars etc, alot like the war on smoking or sugar. I deffo think by 2030 i will have left the scheme or it will have to be closed and at some point we will all just get driverless taxis at extortionate prices. As that will be the only option for us with mobility issues.

Well said Rox. I agree completely.

As for this Rav – Motability are going to have to radically change their approach to pricing/performance structure in the immediate future to allow for electric/hybrids etc.. Especially with UK Gov ban on new ICE sales by 2030!

#131039 Reply
    Martinod

hammerhead:- I can not see motability changing their price structure lowering AP increasing bhp or price cap , I was told by motability once we only need to make you mobile not your family , after all years ago it was the three wheeled blue disabled car, an extremely unsafe car to be in or drive but that’s what was on offer .

There is an increase on pip of about 37p (don’t think thats in line with inflation) a week what good is 37p a week yet that what you get ,

The fact that a lot of car manufacturers are moving to electric I think because of the price of them it’ll be small ev cars that’ll come on , if they make it ev medium/ large / SUV it would need to be a lot more than it is £40 -£45000 maybe more , their would be another daily mail issue,

Although I’m all for the increase I think motability get what car dealers are having difficulty selling a sort of last resort , take it or leave it after all YOUR GETTING A FREE CAR  . Rant over

#131061 Reply
    Clipped wings

https://www.transportenvironment.org/publications/plug-hybrids-europe-heading-new-dieselgate

Welcome to the forum, John. A bold statement listing cars that are “superior to anything else on the scheme”. Opinion stated as fact and one that I don’t share, although the Superb is an excellent car with the same 1.4 engine as my Touran. As suggested, the extra considerable weight of an additional motor and battery/ charger/ control unit are only viable if it is fully charged and used mainly for short journeys. As the above report states, used as a tax break or by manufactures as a means of meeting targets is another environmental con. IMHO

#131066 Reply
    Clipped wings

Hi Martinod,

agree. Hence the large numbers of undesirable diesels on the scheme. I for one have no complaints whatsoever about the scheme and will be very grateful for the £36000 Allspace SEL on its way across the Atlantic. The easy way to help the environment is to drive efficiently and less often. Turn the central heating down a degree to two and any advantage of a Phev is negated, especially if the electricity is generated by fossil fuels. CO2 is a global issue and the atmosphere doesn’t care where it comes from. The exponential population explosion is the elephant in the room

#131069 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Plus right now china is importing more coal to create more energy others are switching from coal to gas to create the electric they need. We in the uk are taking a step backwards imo when trying to leap forward. Maybe people should not exercise or surf the net or todays story is stream in SD not HD as you then create more co2 and that’s the other thing.

it’s not all because of co2 as we told other gh gases are alot worse, but not talked about and what is the reason. I believe it is to restrict us humans as we are not sustainable, but the elite 1% who fly around much more than the average human are ok..

#131078 Reply
    Clipped wings

Hi Rox,

Agree with the 1%. I flew private jets for 7 years and the excesses are very hard to justify. Wives on shopping trips to Milan and Paris, flying empty to collect a friend for a weekend jaunt in Sardinia. Yamani always had a spare Gulfstream  in case the first one broke down and would send one from an opec meeting in Geneva back to Saudi for a box of his favourite dates. Add that to the diesel super yatchs helicopters etc and their personal CO2 is a little above Average!   Lord Greedy of Monaco has no shame. For years, China was building a new coal fired power station every week. My 1.4 petrols ability to shut down two cylinders in cruise pales into insignificance. But every little helps, I guess.

#131079 Reply
    Clipped wings

The HD vs SD on a smart phone suggestion proves that the blinkered, brain washed woke are truly unhinged

#131083 Reply
    Clipped wings

Sorry typo, yacht. Back to the rav4 PHEV. Aside from the cost, as a disabled person do I need 302 Bhp? My brother has a very expensive penchant for high performance cars. Waste of time on our big brother, speed camera infested overcrowded roads, IMHo.

#131086 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I would love a 302bhp car on the scheme but not a RAV4.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: New Toyota RAV4 plug-in hybrid priced from £47,395 (WHAT, I SAY WHAT!)
Your information: