New to Motability questions/discussion.

• Creator
    Topic
    Quebber
    Participant

Hello everyone, after my recent review it was pointed out to me that getting my own car could help me leave the house and I am just waiting for the paperwork from DWP PiP to come through.

My issues are mainly mental in nature I am officially diagnosed with being on the Autistic spectrum with comorbidities of ADHD, Bipolar type 2 and PTSD. I don’t drive myself and would spend much of my time in the back seat or back of vehicle. I don’t leave the house often because it is my safe space.

So the back seat is where I will live and I’ll be hoping to turn it into a mobile safe space for myself which is why I am edging towards an MPV.

I tried sitting in a lot of SUV and large estates but they all felt too confining ( only the grandstand’s back seats felt open enough)

I want an EV because my affinity is towards technology.

Range isn’t that important because to  start with at least I’ll probably only go out in the vehicle maybe 2-4 times a month sort of small drives around the area till I get really use to it, actually for the first month or 2 I will probably just sit in it and play games in the back seat till my brain feels comfortable about it.

I don’t have a drive but should be able to park in front of my house and even though it is on a public footpath I think that because  of the very low usage I can just keep it up around 80% by charging it with a normal plug.

To start with I will be relying on friends to drive me although finding a reliable person may be a challenge but in the coming years I will probably take advantage of the motability lessons and try to learn to drive but that is a very long term plan with many challenges.

After looking through all the cars and my local dealers the Vauxhall Combo life looks like it potentially might fit but I am open to suggestions and ideas.

I can possibly raise 750 on top of the 750 first car allowance so advanced payment limit is £1500

Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      wmcforum
      Which Mobility Car

It looks like your choice is limited. Following a quick search this is the list that came up.

Having been a previous owner of a Citroen Berlingo and given it has the new 52kWh battery and loads of rear seat passenger storage combined with a comfortable seating position, this would be my first choice to test drive.

Participant

Not wishing to throw any spanners into your plan, but how exactly will you charge the vehicle with a normal plug if you are just parking on the road outside your house? Surely you can’t just leave an extension trailing across the pavement as this is a big trip hazard that could surely get you sued if someone were to fall over it?

wmcforum
          Which Mobility Car

Not wishing to throw any spanners into your plan, but how exactly will you charge the vehicle with a normal plug if you are just parking on the road outside your house? Surely you can’t just leave an extension trailing across the pavement as this is a big trip hazard that could surely get you sued if someone were to fall over it?

Good spot @willis, that is not just a spanner but a whole tool box.

Collie
            Participant

So, your choice of vehicle will be limited if you are looking for an electric MPV.

You say you may be challenged to find a reliable person to drive you. You can only have 3 people on the insurance policy and your friends can’t drive on their own insurance. You would have to nominate at least one driver when you order your car. This can be changed any time on the Motability website. There will be also be other issues if none of those driving the car live at your address.

A grant for driving lessons is usually only available if you are on a means tested benefit. They are not available to everyone but if you qualify it is a very simple process.

Good luck with your search.

MickC
              Participant

Maybe consider applying for a Motability Grant to help with the initial Advance Payment.

Maybe consider a PHEV rather than a Full EV more flexibilty for you.

72 dudes
                Participant

Don’t consider an EV if you have no ability to charge in a driveway or private parking space.

It’s not feasible to have the car charging at the roadside using any sort of cable, let alone a 3 pin plug type.

It could be argued that you could use public rapid charging, but given your condition it would be far from ideal. In addition, using solely public charging works out costing more than running a petrol or diesel vehicle.

2024 - BMW i4 Grand Coupe eDrive 35 Sport
                  2020 - Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription
                  2017 - Audi Q3 TFSi Sport S-Tronic

kezo
                  Participant

“Legally” you are allowed to run a charging cable across a pavement to charge your car. However I use this term loosely!

That said the Highways act 1980 however, makes it illegal to place a cable over, along or across a highway or pavement without consent from the local Highway Authority. The local Highways department can issue fines or tell you to remove it, unless the is evidence that all necessary means have been taken to give adequate warning. If you choose to do so, you are fully liable for any injuries, that may arise should somebody trip over the cable.

You can submit an application to your local Highways dept to lay a cable across a pavement temporary basis using something like D Lines cable solution for on stree charging or by using permanent solution, such as Kerbocharge.

For a permanent solution like Kerbocharge, the local Highways dept will most likely instruct the works and own the cable crossing but, issue use of rights license. Kerbocharge costs £1,000 unless you LA has any grants towards the costs. If the pavement isn’t owned by Highways you will likely require planning pernmission.

Its great wanting all the tech an EV might bring but, unless you have the rest to go with it, it might not be the best way to go in the longterm. A 3 pin plug granny charger is slow at charging an electric car, public charging or standard electricity tariff can cost more than running a petrol or hybrid. Having a two rate tariff where electric is cheaper over night (however, a trailing cable when its dark is easier for someone to trip over!) and a home charger ready for when your able to go further a field.

Unless you can meet that a hybrid might be the better way to go imo 🙂

Quebber
                    Participant

Thank you for all the replies.

Yes I am on benefit and unable to work so the lessons option will be useful if I get to that point.

EV is not off the cards but I have taken all said here on board, my situation is unlike most, it will take a long time for me to turn it into a mobile safe space, to start with and maybe even for a year or more I may only be driven in the vehicle 2-4 times a month, and to start with the drives may be less than a mile. this will be a very slow incremental journey, I’ve left my house only 5 times in the last 400 days, with a car I will do more but it will be very slow going.

I know this will sound crazy but with a single charge to 80% at a main charging station and then keeping it topped up a few hours every couple of days (at most) (A bit of back story I designed a small solar setup in the back yard it charges a 5kwh battery bank which I use to top up an Anker 4kwh gen/trolley, so in theory and I may be wrong, I could keep it topped up by sitting that unit in the boot, charge the car while i’m with it then take it back in side to charge up again) and if the solar panels can’t keep up, then I charge the anker from mains. Sort of a very very very slow relay race hehe but will mean no risk of tripping or cable.

I can see you probably all thinking I have multiple screws loose 😀

I’m also looking at cars as well as MPV the ioniq has nice spacious back seats, skoda has a nice one too. they have almost triple the range which means for me, well one 80% charge and a 300m range (dropped to 200  for reality) could last me 3 months if it doesn’t leak electricity like a sieve.

If anyone is still reading after my crazy talk please if you can see any reasonable petrol, hybrid or other that has really good head/feet/leg room in the back seat which are comfortable.

kezo
                      Participant

I can see you probably all thinking I have multiple screws loose

Don’t be so harsh on yourself 🙂

Nissan X Trail, Hyundai Tuscon have decent rear space SUV’s / VW Touran, BMW 2 series Active Tourer MPV’s. However check AP’s

Nissan Ariya electric.

Quebber
                        Participant

Sadly all of those are a little out of my AP range, I can probably do £750 myself + £750 from motability.

Sandancer
                          Participant

Deleted as I didn’t read the post properly – Sorry!!!!!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Sandancer. Reason: Didn't read it properly
                            • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Sandancer.
                            kezo
                            Participant

Sadly all of those are a little out of my AP range, I can probably do £750 myself + £750 from motability.

I’m sure that unless you have already had a Motability car, you won’t be eligible for the £750 from Motability – I’m happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

Am I eligible for the New Vehicle Payment?
                              You’ll get this payment if you order your first vehicle before the end of 2024.

If you’re already on the Scheme and have not had your New Vehicle Payment yet, you’ll get it whenever you get your next vehicle.

Glos Guy
                              Participant

@Quebber You sound like a very sensible person so, as well as considering the challenges of an EV without off road charging, do remember that in addition to the £750 AP you will be paying £12,000 in benefits to have the car on loan for 3 years. Thats a heck of a lot of money for a safe place to sit in. Could that money be far better spent elsewhere to help your needs?

Quebber
                                Participant

@Quebber You sound like a very sensible person so, as well as considering the challenges of an EV without off road charging, do remember that in addition to the £750 AP you will be paying £12,000 in benefits to have the car on loan for 3 years. Thats a heck of a lot of money for a safe place to sit in. Could that money be far better spent elsewhere to help your needs?

What price put on freedom?

Since 2019 I have probably left the house 30 times in total, 99% of them, hospital, bank and mental health clinic.

I have hundreds of coping strategies in my house from Virtual reality to gaming, electronic projects to retro consoles. I live alone and the only friends I ever meet is via online life or virtual reality. I’m in my early 50’s and facing the very real prospect that I may never leave the boundary of my house again except to see a hospital or Dr’s office.

Why not just spend a little of that on uber rides and use the rest to get more technology?

The last time I left the house was to go to a car show room to see the cars (first time leaving house this year), it was a 4 minute journey that wrecked me for 48 hours, I put on my armor (thats what I call my outside clothing) a face mask, my augmented reality glasses, my gloves, I had 3 phones in my pockets (my hoodie and coat have 17 pockets in total) 2 batteries for those phones, a first aid kit, thermal blanket, mini tent, tool kit, counters and coping strategies to every single what if scenario my brain can come up with.

All of that just about allowed me to step over the threshold to my house and into a strangers car, yes I tried to hold my breath for 4 minutes and had multiple anxiety and panic attacks in that 4  minutes but it was a “good” scenario, my PTSD didn’t trigger, I didn’t become catatonic.

Now…

Let’s say I manage to convince my brain that my car that I finally get can, feels like a safe space, that i’ll have bags and equipment in the boot to cover all eventualities, plus all my favourite tech based stuff in the back seat plus a weighted blanket and so on.

Even if I only get to be driven around to a super market or to visit a local landmark once or twice a month, even if it takes 12 months for me to be comfortable enough to be in the passenger seat and another 12 months to be happy to sit in the drivers seat?

If stepping into that vehicle doesn’t feel like “did the driver clean the seats” “who was in here before” “did the driver get any sleep” “did he check the brakes this morning” “how long since the cars last service” “what is the depth of the tire tread” “did he check the ambient temp and adjust his driving” “has he taken a defensive driving course” “what if terrorists attack does he have a plan of action” “does he have alternative light sources in case of an emp attack” “does he have training in case of a nuclear attack” “what if  kaiju/zombie/alien invasion happened does he have a fully kitted out survival bag in his boot” “does he know what to do if the sun goes out” … welcome to my brain 😀

So to answer your question yes, yes it’s completely worth it.

Quebber
                                  Participant

I think I’ve found the car I really like :D, its not an EV, its a hybrid (thanks to the suggestions from this thread and concerns/feedback from people to do with on street charging).

Dacia Jogger 1.6 HEV Extreme 5dr Auto

It’s sort of perfect for me, within my budget, very spacious with enough room to fit my Anker power bank, which will power all my tech instead of draining the car battery, back seats and more if I decide to lay down, yes its a budget vehicle but I love the shape of it. will go to get a look at one in person and take time to sit inside and see how it feels.

wmcforum
                                    Which Mobility Car

Dacia have video ‘tour guides’ too. Here is the link:

https://www.dacia.co.uk/dacia-guides.html

kezo
                                      Participant

You can get a sleep pack or camper pack for the Jogger.

Quebber
                                        Participant

You can get a sleep pack or camper pack for the Jogger.

The more I read about the Jogger the more I think it’s perfect for me.

Rich44
                                          Participant

I haven’t read the whole thread but I want to comment on this charging over pavement part.  Many councils now have a scheme to allow this there are various methods and each person would need to check with their council for their preferred option these tend to be:

1. Lamp post chargers get fitted
                                            2. Rubber ramp strip with yellow edge (will need to be an approved one not just amazon)
                                            3. Some councils will fit a channel in the pavement for a small fee
                                            4. Some places with let you turn your small front garden to a driveway if suitable, a disabled facilities grant would cover this
                                            5.Nearby discounted car park and charging, some councils operate a scheme like this for residents with no parking or are talking about it
                                            6. Buy a season ticket for nearby council car park with charging if there is one.  Our council does a 24 hours season ticket that covers all the coastal car parks all year for about £200 which means no parking fees anywhere locally might work for you might not.
                                            7. Some councils like York has cheaper rapid chargers at their hyperhubs. I was there last year and was impressed think its 59p/kwh for up to 150kw now
                                            8. Take the BP pulse subscription instead of home charger and you get “slightly” better prices at their chargers
                                            9. If one of your drivers lives nearby maybe they can charge it for you then bring it back, as long as the car is used within the rules of the scheme of course.

Is charging away from home as cost effective? No definitely not BUT if not really using the car a lot it could be manageable especially with electricity prices starting to fall and I suspect fuel prices will be going up and up soon with the Ukraine war and if war starts between Israel and Iran too then….

I’d see if you can get a 48 hour test drive from somewhere and try it out, find out the practicalities of it.  The Rifter, Combo and Berlingo are incredibly roomy in the back and all are affordable now just make sure you choose one with the new 52kw battery.  Probably most important find out who you’d have drive you and spend time talking to them about your plans just make sure they’re on board too else will be an expensive waste of money for you.

Good luck and if this was all covered elsewhere I apologise not trying to start an argument but the no driveway can’t charge at home isn’t necessarily true now and is changing all the time.  If you do get a rubber strip think about push chairs and wheelchairs and get a super thin one, some of those strips are evil.

Rich44
                                            Participant

The jogger is pretty cool with sleep pack etc.

One thing I’ll say about electric I found it really helped me with anxiety, I don’t know if it’s noise or vibration or both but driving an EV I just found it much less stressful, my hands don’t hurt after driving (think thats vibration from the engine) and I don’t feel myself getting as stressed on a journey for some reason.  I don’t get that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach now nor that sensation of weight pushing down.  Could be psychological who knows but works for me.  I do have a drive and charger fwiw

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.