New to motability – car choosing advice

• Creator
    Topic
    Mcdon18
    Participant

Hi all,

New to motability and am at the stage of picking our first car. There is so much choice that it does get quite confusing!

We are looking for a medium-sized SUV – the only real essentials are that it has a decent sized boot for a larger pushchair and decent room in the back.

We test drove a Qashqai today which we really liked, and have a test drive of a Honda E-NY1 this weekend. Both are different cars but give an idea of the types we’re looking at.

Does anyone have experience of the E-NY1 in particular and how it is day to day? The assistant at the dealership was very honest and said although advertised as getting 256 miles on a full charge, it’s generally about 230 most of the time but 220 in winter – which is fine as we don’t do many long trips and can plan well.

As well as that, are there any alternatives people could recommend we may not have considered? We have looked at MG’s and they’re not really for us.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

Have a Toyota Bz4x vision, realistically around 220 in winter, big boot, have electric wheelchair, hoist and a walker in, plenty of room in the back too, comfy car and good to drive (hubby says).

Bz4x fwd vision in silver

Mcdon18
        Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>

Have a Toyota Bz4x vision, realistically around 220 in winter, big boot, have electric wheelchair, hoist and a walker in, plenty of room in the back too, comfy car and good to drive (hubby says).

</p>

Brilliant, will have a look at this one, thank you.

MLH
          Participant

If you’re looking at an EV, the VW ID.4 and Peugeot E3008 are both competitively priced @ £799 & £499 AP.

Rich44
            Participant

Skoda Enyaq absolute bargain after recent price drops biggest boot EV on the scheme and interior is cavernous and plush with tons of gadgets like battery preconditioning if you’re going to rapid charge for example

Loads to choose from from nil AP even the higher up the range versions aren’t expensive. The 85 versions have a new huge battery over 300 miles claimed.

Also the new e3008 looks really nice and has a good boot might have to wait awhile to drive one as they’re so new.

I’d highly recommend test driving the Enyaq tho should be getting my 85x Sportline plus end of May, super excited. It’s a hellishly expensive car without motability so great value for us.

Previous car was an MG ZS it was OK it was a lack of choice option at the time it was a good size, comfy with lots of tech and have an HS PHEV at the moment which is quite nice too but they’re not for everyone.

Citroen Berlingo has new battery option which has improved things there, it’s very comfortable with a very upright seating layout so good if you struggle getting up also rear sliding doors plus you can get the xl version with 7 seats or fold them down for even bigger boot. Plus cubby holes everywhere. Range put me off last year on the old battery as was under 180 but seems better now and prices have come down

Vauxhall Combo and Peugeot Rifter are essentially the same car just different styling and trim altho they might not have the new battery yet

Ask for extended test drives whole day or overnight if possible take it home drive in your local roads not roads near the dealer, if dealer won’t cooperate try another one they really should at least do an all day test drive

Rich44
              Participant

I know you said medium-sized suv so the Enyaq might be listed as an estate on the scheme but I still feel it’s more suv like than estate like but ymmv.

Good luck tho, good news is there’s so many awesome cars to choose from nowand largely APs are much more reasonable than they have been

Collie
                Participant

Definitely have a look at the Enyaq. A lot of car for the money.

Mcdon18
                  Participant

Thanks for the replies all. We did go to Skoda but it was near closing time and there wasn’t much time to properly look – will go back to look at the Enyaq.

Any recommendations for electric suv’s?

Djw38uk
                    Participant

Ioniq 5 looks excellent value……

Mcdon18
                      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

</p>

That is a stunning car, and as you say the value looks great. Definitely on our list, although that list is ever growing haha

Rosie
                        Participant

The Honda Ny1 is a lovely car but some reviews were critical of the range – I cancelled my order because I was concerned that it would cause range anxiety. I’m now looking at the Skoda Enyaq.

Djw38uk
                          Participant

</p> That is a stunning car, and as you say the value looks great. Definitely on our list, although that list is ever growing haha[/quote]

I may be a bit bias in fairness. I pick mine up on Tuesday!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Djw38uk.
                            kezo
                            Participant

Any recommendations for electric suv’s?

I’d class most on the scheme as crossovers rather than actual SUV’s. The Audi Q4 e-tron has a slighy more elevated seating position than the Enyak but, not enough to choose one over the other, although I personally prefer the more car like interior of the Audi, even though the Enyak has more room.  There is a few issues being reported on the Enyak on here and other Skoda forums, you might want to look into.

Hyundai/Kia, have every extra you could wish for especially if you go for the upper range. If you do frequent trips or day out and need to use public chargers, Hyundai/Kia win hands down with their 800v 220 kW architecture. VW group such as the ones above have 130kW or 175kW in the awd versions, although there is not alot of difference between them when you look at the charging curves. Obviously available DC charging speeds along you route play a part.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned the Renault Scenic.

Rich44
                              Participant

It’s funny how it goes because after looking at the Ioniq 5 I’d have said it was more of a hatchback than an suv it is a nice car but the boot floor being quite high might be an issue and they’re not taking factory orders now as they switch production so I’ve heard from some dunno what current stock there is tho, but they are lovely cars I found the boot too small and floor quite high which might be a problem

kezo
                                Participant

It’s funny how it goes because after looking at the Ioniq 5 I’d have said it was more of a hatchback than an suv it is a nice car but the boot floor being quite high might be an issue and they’re not taking factory orders now as they switch production so I’ve heard from some dunno what current stock there is tho, but they are lovely cars I found the boot too small and floor quite high which might be a problem

I read similar however it may be possible to have a factory order and receive the new model, with the updates and bigger 84kWh net battery. I say that because Hyundai dealers are allowing Motability customers to factory order the 2025 Tuscon.

The big benifit of stock vehicles is getting the car in a couple weeks, which may be benifical to a new scheme user.

Mcdon18
                                  Participant

Just realised on a comment I’d asked for electric SUV recommendations, when I actually meant full-hybrid.

Would be looking at £2000 advance payment (although the Qashqai hybrid is £2499)

Robert88
                                    Participant

If you’re looking for a full hybrid suv sized vehicle for under £2000 ap have a look at the Renault austral.

kezo
                                      Participant

You will also be eligable for the £750 new vehicle payment, as long as you order your firsr vehicle before the end of the year.

MFillingham
                                        Participant

Renault Austral looks like a nice prospect.

The Enyaq is good, the Ioniq 5 is awesome (I have one before it dropped £2500 AP) and is great value for the equipment you get.  Reviews of the Honda haven’t been hugely positive but if you like it, that’s great.

I’m not sure on Hybrid prices but the cars that come up most often are the Qashqai, Tuscan, Austral and the Suzuki version of the Rav 4 (sorry can’t drag the name out my head right now).

As kezo says you should be good for the £750 bonus as a first time customer which you can send straight to the dealership and pushes your budget to around £2,500.

To be brutally honest, there aren’t many bad cars around, it’s whether you want to stick with traditional brands or have a look at cars like the BYD which has been well reviewed.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                                          I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Mcdon18
                                          Participant

Thank you. I do really like the look of the BYD but the more I look at things I’m not sure I’m “ready” to go full electric yet. We do a fair amount of longer trips so reliability comes in to it too. Unfortunately we don’t have a BYD dealer here but could travel.

Thanks for the advice, we have a test drive today and then will see how we feel.

Participant

If your not ready to go full electric yet then i would seriously consider the Renault Austral, one of the nicest cars on the scheme in my opinion and was top of my list at one point but as i prefer full electric i went for the Hyundai Ioniq 6. The Renault both inside and outside is a stunning looking car, i would seriously recommend you test drive one.

----------------------------
                                              Hyundai Ioniq 6 Ultimate
                                              Scale modeller in my spare time

vickers21
                                              Participant

Do you know which dealer groups are takeing factory orders for the new Hyundai tucson every dealer we have contacted says there taking orders for new tucson on private ordered but not allowed on motability

kmb786
                                                Participant

After test driving the Toyota Bz4x Vision AWD pan roof, we have gone and ordered the same model today at the dealers.

Going to find out tomorrow when the estimated delivery is.

Rich44
                                                  Participant

If you can order for private customers how can they say no to motability? More discrimination

Mcdon18
                                                    Participant

After much deliberation, multiple test drives and trying to find “the one”, we placed an order yesterday for a Honda ZR-V.

We had whittled down to the Honda and a Qashqai EPower N-Connecta – both had similar delivery times of around 2 weeks (colour dependant) and whilst the Qashqai had a slightly bigger boot, the additional features that come with the Honda swung it for us.  The boot size is big enough for the ASN stroller we need which was the main thing.

The ZR-V gives heated seats front and back, electric seats and heads up display over the Qashqai as well as a few other things like the car “remembering” the seat position of each driver when their relevant key is in the car. Crazy!

Thanks to everyone for their input, really helpful and this forum has been a blessing.

kmb786
                                                      Participant

It’s been around a week since we ordered the Bz4x Vision AWD (Pan roof) in Precious Metal or Silver.

The dealer is still trying to get hold of this model as he was saying only the new MY24 Motion model is for factory order only.

Has anyone else come across this issue and does this mean that they are trying to find my model from the current UK stock availability.

Thanks

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.