New Tiguan (finally here!)

• This topic has 118 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago by Chris-83.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #126915 Reply
    Chris

As someone obsessed with the new Tiguan (will be placing order on Jan 1st), and have been checking the vw site twice a day, the configurator is finally open! Enjoy everyone!!

Viewing 18 replies - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #127919 Reply
    File28

Tiguan dsg same as seat ateca

Skoda

Golf

#127920 Reply
    moggy
    Participant

Yes the DSG is the same as the Audi Q5

#127942 Reply
    Tim

No Audi uses its own 8 speed tiptronic gearbox.

Yes the DSG is the same as the Audi Q5

I don’t know which to go by! Appreciate the answers though.

#127947 Reply
    moggy
    Participant

Hi Tim,

I owned a 2.0 petrol Q5 last year and it had a 7 speed DSG just like the DSG Tiguan which I’m now driving. Audi use the same gearbox in the 2.0 diesel. Audi do use an 8 speed tiptronic in the 3.0 v6  SQ5.

#127950 Reply
    Ian

Going for a test drive next week. However I am concerned about the DSG gearbox.  I Have heard reports that it is not that good at selecting the right gear, an example being on the approach to a roundabout and you think, I will go, only for the car to say no, I am in the wrong gear, by the time it makes up its mind it is too late potentially causing an accident. I have no problem with this in my current car a BMW X1.

#127951 Reply
    Mike11

Ian I have had this gearbox in my 3 Golfs been fantastic so smooth I’ve been driving automatics since 1982

#127953 Reply
    File28

Got the same box in our Ateca and never had any problems with junctions or roundabouts

I prefer to read the road and judge things. The box does learn driving styles i believe or is that a DSG myth

#127956 Reply
    Clipped wings

Also been driving DSG for the last 10 years and have had no issues. All petrol engines. We have a tricky T junction exit onto the busy A35  – I select sport mode when approaching which gives a more dynamic response. Allegedly VAG dropped the ball when reprogramming engine management for the hastily imposed WLTP test regime, but software updates have improved the reported tardiness/ jerkiness. My next car is the 1.5 TSI dsg and hope it is as good as current 1.4. have had no problems with the dry clutch 7 speed box used on lower powered vag cars which caused some reliability issues according to Honest John. High powered and higher torque engines use a 7 speed dsg wet clutch box. Moving up to top end 3/4 litre cars use the ZF 8 speed torque converter box

#127962 Reply
    Chris-83

Had a dsg tiguan last year Ian, and ordered the new tiguan with dsg, its a lovely gearbox!

But the bmw auto boxes are exceptional.

#127965 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I’ve also had cars in the past with the DSG gearbox and never had any issues with it but I do prefer the BMW 8 speed auto box.

#127968 Reply
    Landyman

Totally agree Elliot, the BMW auto box is extremely good.

#127969 Reply
    kbfern

The DSG box in the VAG is the best dry clutch you can get, I have had the 2.0 Tig SEL DSG for nearly 3 years and has been very responsive with no lag.And will be ordering the new Tig in Jan most probably.

The only other contenders would be the new Hyundai Tucson or Peugeot 3008/5008 depending on whether they are out in time and AP and if their Auto boxes are up to snuff which I doubt.

Our Previous car was a Citroen C4 grand Picasso with dry auto box and that had hesitation problems when pulling away at roundabouts etc, the DSG is a revelation in comparison.

#127988 Reply
    Tim

@moggy Thanks again for answering.

I’m currently using a 4.0l Quattro Q5 so I believe the gearbox is the 8 speed wet dual clutch. I’ll have to get a test drive of the Tiguan and see how the DSG compares. I really hope it’s similar as I love the ratios in this version.

Anyone know how long a dealer will lend a tiguan for? 2 hours seems too little and I’d hope for a 24 hour test if possible.

#127991 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

The DSG box in the VAG is the best dry clutch you can get, I have had the 2.0 Tig SEL DSG for nearly 3 years and has been very responsive with no lag.And will be ordering the new Tig in Jan most probably. The only other contenders would be the new Hyundai Tucson or Peugeot 3008/5008 depending on whether they are out in time and AP and if their Auto boxes are up to snuff which I doubt. Our Previous car was a Citroen C4 grand Picasso with dry auto box and that had hesitation problems when pulling away at roundabouts etc, the DSG is a revelation in comparison.

The new Peugeot/Citroen Autos use the same Aisin 8 speed Automatic gearbox as BMW (I have it in my Pug) and after coming from a DSG (older 6 speed version) I can honestly say it’s world’s apart and actually a pleasure to use.

#127998 Reply
    kbfern

That’s good to know they are using a different box these days, that would certainly make the Peugeot more interesting.

#128106 Reply
    Tony

Does anyone know the price of  electric  tail gate and rear cam fitted as a extra to rline

#128108 Reply
    Newbie1892

Hi Tony

as far as I can see on the options list rear view camera will cost £370 and I cant see an option for electric tailgate so is this standard if you configure your own on vw website you will see the option list for extras, hope this helps.

#128112 Reply
    Chris-83

Tony the electric tailgate is around £450 on the Rline. The rep told me the if you press boot release on the fob it pops it open around a inch for you to manually pull it up. And you need to manually close it.

I ordered a Rline as standard, only because I can get the car around 9th of November. Otherwise I would have added the boot pack, but he told me factory orders are up to 12 weeks away

Viewing 18 replies - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
Reply To: New Tiguan (finally here!)
Your information: