New Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo No Paddle Shift

• Creator
    Topic
    Tiny tim
    Participant

I see the Auto Express news on the new Skoda Monte Carlo with DSG gearbox and like they say it is a shame they never added Paddle Shift on this luke warm semi sports hatch, i used to have a Fabia vrs DSG and it was a great car.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Richums
      Participant

I was very excited to get my current car back in 2019 as it was my first auto and I was excited to use the paddle shift gear levers. Having driven a manual all my life up until then, I imagined I would put the car in M and use them all the time.

In reality I used them once, right after picking the car up, and have never touched them again!

DBtruth
        Participant

Iโ€™m the same Richums, Iโ€™ve had paddleshift on every car since 2012 and can count on one hand the amount of times Iโ€™ve used them. Probably used them more just catching them by accident every now and then ๐Ÿ˜‚

fwippers
          Participant

Had a 1 series, used them once in 3 years.

Participant

I’ve also used mine once in nearly 3 years BUT I also have them on my works van and I use them all the time on that. The reason for this is the way they operate.

On my Mercedes B180 Sport when you use the paddle it switches the gearbox into manual mode and stays like that for a while, if you’re just cruising it will eventually switch itself back into auto mode.

In my Mercedes Sprinter if you use the paddles to shift up a gear it stays in auto mode and I short shift up a lot in my van for a quieter, smoother drive. If you paddle shift down it goes into manual mode but I hardly ever need to except in snow, ice or breaching a ford.

If I seem a little strange, that's because I am.

Skoda Karoq SEL.

Tiny tim
              Participant

To be honest i did not use mine much except to change down slow speed and you have the choice if need be and if you want complete control you have it as some Auto are slow to react like Auto Express said in the Fabia MC.

Jojoe
                Participant

As others have said, I only use them when I knock them on by accident.

vinalspin
                  Participant

I use them on mine all the time, box stays in auto but you can make changes earlier than the auto does, also good for dropping down a gear coming up to junctions etc.

joss

I love the paddles on my BMW and use them quite often. Also you can use the gear stick as a sequential gear shift which is fun

Joss
                      Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

rox
                      Participant

I guess you can still put it into manual mode by pushing the stick to the left.

It’s alot easier with the paddles though. My last two non vw cars have had paddles, The golf match edition I had before did not. Sometimes the big issue was it would often change up gears way to early imo, especially if you had a fully loaded car.

So I had to use manual mode to pull away from lights and get upto cruising speed then I’d put back in auto plus it’s also very useful when driving in snow etc as engine breaking is better and safer than actual breaking.

kezo
                        Participant

I don’t see the point of them on 100bhp cars. 200bhp plus or sport derived cars like the M series is a different matter.

Tiny tim
                          Participant

Apparently Disabled people are not allowed to have Paddle Shifters on there cars.

kezo
                            Participant

Apparently Disabled people are not allowed to have Paddle Shifters on there cars.

Where have you read that or are you been sarcy lol

Tiny tim
                              Participant

Lol

Elliot
                                Participant

I wouldn’t say I use them all the time but I find them very useful for dropping down gears rapidly.

ChrisK
                                  Participant

I think thereโ€™s an unwritten law that disabled people should not have cars and Motability are trying their best to make sure the law is followed.

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜Š

vinalspin
                                    Participant

I donโ€™t see the point of them on 100bhp cars. 200bhp plus or sport derived cars like the M series is a different matter.

Good job mine has 205 bhp then ๐Ÿ˜

kezo
                                      Participant

Good job mine has 205 bhp then

LOL ๐Ÿ™‚

What car you got?

vinalspin
                                        Participant

Of all non racy things a Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 bluehdi

Chipped, mapped, injectors, boost, induction etc etc,

205bhp, 485NM, 50+mpg, a real rocket bus ๐Ÿคฃ

kezo
                                          Participant

Of all non racy things a Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 bluehdi Chipped, mapped, injectors, boost, induction etc etc, 205bhp, 485NM, 50+mpg, a real rocket bus ๐Ÿคฃ

A wolf in sheeps clothng dare I say ๐Ÿ™‚

Ady

Flappy paddles? There are so many speed cameras about these days, I have my car in eco mode, set autonomous cruise, sit back, relax and let it do it’s thing, only time I switch off ACC is when going around roundabouts and sharp corners. I sometimes knock it into sport mode by accident and sound like a boy racer redlining it off the lights.

rox
                                              Participant

Best thing about sports mode or manual mode on some auto’s with the paddles is that when you do floor it, it changes up for you before you blow the engine up and you ain’t gotta touch the paddles at all it will also downshift if revs get to low.

I used to love holding it in m3 in my honda civic sport and then flooring it and the vtec would come in also Hardly ever did it in D. Was an omg and a big smile everytime.

DaveG46

My 1st Seat Leon diesel had paddle shift a few years back, never really used them and seat must of know as , when I got my mk3.5 sport this time around they managed to forget to actually put any on it ;/

Dante

I have a paddle shift on my MG HS but keep forgetting they are there & have never used them tbh !!!

i think the new Skoda looks great & excellent itโ€™s back on scheme but unfortunately limited to the basic trim / 1.0 litre model zzzzzzz a definite oversight

for me the best value vehicle at present is the auto Vauxhall Mokka in Ultimate trim & ยฃ699 AP

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.