New Cars Q3

• Creator
    Topic
  • #77955 Reply
    Pirots
    Participant

What cars do we think will be added to the scheme in Q3?

I am hoping for a bit more choice in electric/hybrid cars myself, with a realistic AP.

Or more of a choice of models on the Honda CRV, or the return of the Honda HRV.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #77958 Reply
    John Cooper

The way things are going, I can’t see any good changes to be honest! The scheme is getting worse for choice

#77960 Reply
    Pirots
    Participant

There seems a lot of cars on the scheme but when you narrow it down to your needs the choice isn’t as much as you would think.

My needs are

I need a tall car to make getting in and out easier.

I need an automatic to make it easier to drive.

I need a petrol or electric or hybrid version because the car is mainly used around town.

I need a larger car for wheelchair etc but not too big because i need to park it.

I need it to be as frugal as possible.

I need it to be a good spec. Parking sensors front and rear, and if possible a birds eye camera because with a disability and etra assistance is a help.

#77962 Reply
    Persuader

From April, Only VW Smuguans will be available.

#77963 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I suspect there will be more hybrid cars on the scheme as we tend to get what others don’t want and the backside has fallen out of the hybrid market. Its unlikely there will be any affordable/usable BEVs for the opposite reasons to the hybrid market in that BEVs are very popular so don’t need to sell to motability or give them the large discounts they demand.

Sorry for my pessimistic outlook but that’s the way I see it, hope I’m wrong.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#77970 Reply
    UncJ
    Participant

There seems a lot of cars on the scheme but when you narrow it down to your needs the choice isn’t as much as you would think. My needs are I need a tall car to make getting in and out easier. I need an automatic to make it easier to drive. I need a petrol or electric or hybrid version because the car is mainly used around town. I need a larger car for wheelchair etc but not too big because i need to park it. I need it to be as frugal as possible. I need it to be a good spec. Parking sensors front and rear, and if possible a birds eye camera because with a disability and etra assistance is a help.

Agreed. When you look at the numbers it can seem like there is huge choice but break them down and nothing could be further from the truth. If your No1 requirement is an auto (like ourselves) then straight away you have a choice of less than 1/3 of the cars on the scheme. When you analyse the car ranges there are so many of the same model but mainly just different trim levels for each manufacturer.

Then there’s the ridiculous at times AP disparity between cars and their auto versions that make the AP prohibitive on so many cars. The AP may be say £249 on a manual yet it is often £1500+ and upwards for the auto version. Then there is the ridiculous £30,000 limit on cars that Motability ALLOWED the dishonest campaign by the Daily Hate Mail to change the scheme completely unfairly for it’s own customers!!! DLA & PIP are not “out of work” benefits yet Motability allowed this dishonest rag to impose restrictions unfairly upon their own customers! How weak of them! Remind us who Motability are supposed to represent again? Add to that the 200 bhp restriction which means a whole host of cars are unavailable to Motability customers just because they are a few bhp over yet another imposed limit upon us. Are disabled drivers not allowed a bit of driving fun either?? Perish the thought!!

So, the scheme as it stands continues to get multiple complaints from it’s customers yet it seems it falls on deaf ears at Motability time and time again. I really don’t think they care either.

#77971 Reply
    Anonymous

I did not know there was a 200HP limit? A lot of the hybrids coming up are in excess of that because its literally two motors in one car.

EDIT: If you look at the electric Smarts they are listing the same car twice with a £49 difference. When I phoned Motability to ask why they couldn’t tell me. Could be padding out the numbers?????

#77975 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

the motability search tool isnt great, it doesnt show that its the difference between 7kw charger and 22kw charger it just shows both as prime premium the 7kw ap is 449 and the 22kw is 499. same for the prime premium plus its 749 for 7kw and 799 for 22kw.

its the same with the mini pricing they dont specify that the higher price is +nav pack it just says mini classic etc.

#77986 Reply
    Michael Seignot

I agree.  If there was only one change I could make, it would be to make the AP on auto models the same as manuals.  Motability could sort this out if they wanted to.  They have the bargaining power and the money to do it.

#77988 Reply
    Macca

But given the higher retail cost of autos, wouldn’t the net result of making them the same AP be that manuals rise and autos fall, i.e. a smoothing. Lets face it motability can’t influence the manufacturing cost difference between a manual and an auto and the manufacturer isn’t going to swallow the loss.

#77993 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

in a way its no more expensive to build a car with an auto box,its down to the fact less are bought in the uk.

in the states where more autos are sold than manuals there is little price difference in some models the manual is at a premium. i would have thought with more autos being sold the price ought to be coming down but of course its just more profit as long as they can get away with it.

#77995 Reply
    callmejohn

I have to agree with UncJ and Michael Seignot.

Motability was initiated by the Government and the Opposition parties in 1977 after they had withdrawn the Invacar’s which by that time were all automatics in an effort to provide the Handicapped drivers who qualified for an Invacar (Handicapped being a totally accepted word at that time) a safer and more sociable way to freedom, independence and companionship.

Remembering that Motability was initially registered as a charity for the benefit of people who would have qualified for an Invacar or who were too handicapped or too young to be able to drive but still required the freedom to be able to be transported about.

I do not think that it would be outwith Motability’s remit as a registered charity to use some of their vast reserve funds to try and fund some of the more Handicapped/Disabled drivers to meet their needs for an automatic car, which in some cases would be a legacy of replacing their automatic Invacar.

I think we should remember what the definition and purpose of a charity is, it is to help the people in need, not handsomely reward the people who are running the charity.

I hope that I have not offended anyone by using the word Handicapped, but as someone who was considered Handicapped for well over 40 years and went to bed one night Handicapped and woke up the next morning to find that he was no longer handicapped, but was now Disabled (due to some non Handicapped/Disabled  people who went to University who thought if you cant cure them at least make the name sound nicer), unfortunately not making one bit of difference to my life or in any way improving my condition.

Well that’s my wee rant over, but remember it is only people who complain that get things changed.

#77996 Reply
    callmejohn

As someone who would have considered the Mazda 6 estate, the difference a couple of year back, between the manual and auto on Motability was £2,000, now that is not due to extra retail price or manufacturing costs or even residual costs, it is down to manufacturers wanting to participate in Motability and Motability allowing manufacturers to discriminate which cars they wish to provide at a realistic and fair price.

Now you cannot even get a Mazda 6 estate Auto, if your disability needs dictate that you need an Automatic. However you can get a manual version, sadly not meeting everybody’s needs.

#78001 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

This is made in China but it comes as a BEV and a hybrid, i`m posting this just to show that large SUVs are available for an affordable price and a range exceeding 300 miles on a single charge.

BYD Tang 600 & 600D Electric SUV: Specs/Images/Videos

https://insideevs.com/news/351456/byd-tang-600-600d-specs/

#78004 Reply
    Anonymous

They have been using BYD’s over here for some time as taxis but they don’t look like that.?

#78011 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

It would be nice to see all the cars that had massive rises in AP from the 1st to 2nd quarter return to their original price for Q3, 4 cars I had on my list all jumped up massively(lowest rise was £800) yet the cars on offer were exactly the same as before so what’s the excuse for these price jumps?

The only thing I can think is that they decided that as motability customers they could screw more money out of us and nobody would say anything, just like the way the treat us in their showrooms when you ask about a car on motability!

#78015 Reply
    JS

One would of thought a big part of many cars AP increase was simply car availability and the delivery times, and a lot of vehicles by the time they are returned are actually on paper nearer 4 years old, but it is wrong this lose is passed on to scheme members instead of penalising the manufacturers for not being able to stick to the 3 month rule.

#78016 Reply
    Pirots
    Participant

If I do a search on the Motability site with the following criteria this is how many cars I have a choice of.

SUV, because these are generally the only cars that are taller.

Automatic.

Petrol, Hybrid – petrol, plug in hybrid petrol.

5 seats.

5 doors.

40 upwards MPG. How many of these cars would actually do at least 40 mpg.

I get a choice of 15 cars (I have not included the various variants of the same model). If I start discounting the various cars that are not suitable because they are not high enough, or the seats don’t have lumbar support etc, or the AP is too high, especially when I have added options that I need, my choice is so limited, that it’s not worth getting a car on the scheme at the moment.

Cars that the search comes up with.

Suzuki Vitara, Mini Countryman, Mercedes Gla, Jeep Renegade, Hyundai Tucson, Renault Kadjar, Bmw X2, Peugeot 3008, Toyota Rav 4, Citroen c5 Aircross, Skoda Kodiaq, Skoda Karoq, Mazda CX5, DS 7 Crossback, Mitsubushi Outlander.

If I change the criteria and take out MPG because I can’t afford to run a car that doesn’t do much mpg, and I don’t care about global warming. Then I get an extra 6 cars to choice from.

Ford Kuga, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Jeep Compass, Kia Sportage, Honda CRV, Volvo XC40.

So come on Motability where is my choice. I am not talking about a choice of a fancy sports car or anything that the Daily Mail says we get. I am talking about where is my choice of a car that I need to help with my disability. The scheme is supposed to be in place to help the disabled but the scheme is broken.  I bet the high up managers at Motability get a far better choice of company car than the people who the scheme is supposed to serve get, and I bet they don’t have disabilities.

#78017 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

It would be nice to see some of the PHEV at an more realistic price, I know for a fact the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is being discounted plus hold a good resale value there is no reason for such a high AP.

Mobility needs  start giving us some support otherwise we are all going to end up driving VW Tiguan diesels/

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#78018 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Pirots there are some cracking cars on your list, cars that most people would be delighted with. What specifically would you like to see on the scheme?

#78019 Reply
    Pirots
    Participant

Pirots there are some cracking cars on your list, cars that most people would be delighted with. What specifically would you like to see on the scheme?

The Honda CRV hybrid would be a nice start, or the BMW 2 series hybrid, or maybe the return of the Volvo XC60, or maybe even a petrol version Tiguan, because a diesel with a DPF would be useless.

#78026 Reply
    Michael Seignot

I’m in a very similar situation to Pirots, with the same needs.

Out of his list of cars that match his search, off the top of my head I’d have to discount at least 2, so that makes the list even shorter.

The Mini Countryman is quite a firm ride and would be uncomfortable for me, and it also has not got a particularly elevated driving position.

The Mercedes GLA  supposedly has an elevated driving position but it’s actually only 4cm higher than the rather low A-Class.

The BMW X2 is quite a bit firmer than an X1 and is also lower, and the boot is smaller.  It is far more ‘driver focussed’ than the X1 and the suspension set up is geared towards grip over comfort.

On further inspection the list of suitable cars gets smaller and smaller and I’m talking about totally practical things, not aesthetics.

I have a lot of car knowledge and my previous cars include a TVR Sargaris and a  Lotus Exige, so completely understand the enjoyment and fun that driving can be and am not a spoilsport when it comes to these things.

Given time and health concerns, I could probably write far better reviews of vehicles from a disabled point of view than anything else you’ll find online. (I used to be professional researcher and writer)  These would include; seating elevation and sight lines, seat comfort and support, ease of access and entry, whether leather or cloth would be more suitable for getting in and out, boot dimensions and usability such as lip height, load height, space between wheel arches.  I could go on all day.  Most car reviews, even in Mobility magazine do not adequately cover these issues.

If I seem to be rambling a bit, it is because I’ve had to take extra pain killers today and am a bit … erm….. shall we say….. stoned, and now need to go to bed for a bit.

My post is in no way meant to lecture or point a finger at anyone, but just to make people aware of issues that might not have occurred to them or are not aware of.

Thanks for listening folks.  Tune in again at the same time tomorrow when I will be discussing such fun topics as;  How easy/difficult is seat adjustment and the ability to get a comfortable driving position in a particular car.

#78027 Reply
    Pirots
    Participant

Tune in again at the same time tomorrow when I will be discussing such fun topics as; How easy/difficult is seat adjustment and the ability to get a comfortable driving position in a particular car.

It’s interesting, so I will be waiting for the next instalment tomorrow, and yes, I am serious.

#78028 Reply
    DBtruth

I’m sure I read somewhere that the Honda CR-V hybrid doesn’t give you very good mpg?? Could be wrong though.

what about something like a 1.6tdi VW touran? That should get you good mpg. Good build quality. High driving postition?. Not sure about lumbar support, I haven’t looked into that bit.

i doubt you could go too far wrong with a C5 aircross either. I’ve sat in one of them and felt very relaxed. The seats were possibly the nicest I’ve sat in. I think they come with a small Diesel engine too which would should get decent mpg

#78029 Reply
    DBtruth

Also, my input to the original thread would be the Audi A3 saloon. I’m sure it used to be on the scheme for a while and for all I know it might be on just with the wrong picture on the site ha.

I think it’s a great little car and should still be within the price/bhp cap

#78034 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

and whats wrong with the tiguan diesel 😛 I just got one cracking car to be honest and thats after a lifetime of bmws. 4x4s, 1s, 2s, 3s, 5s and even a 7 (not all on motability) and I think the tiguan is cracking, same specced X1 would of cost me 8000 ap.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
Reply To: New Cars Q3
Your information: