New car first impressions

• Creator
    Topic
    Matt
    Participant

I picked up my BMW i4 edrive35 sport yesterday and here are my first impressions. I definitely made the right decision, the car is absolutely perfect for my needs. I’ve never driven a smoother car, it floats over potholes and speed bumps but then there’s no roll in the corners. I’ve changed from a Mercedes CLA180 shooting brake premium plus and although the i4 sport is the lowest trim it feels so much nicer inside. It might not have the full leather trim but the seats for me are much more comfortable and the driving position’s better, the pedals are more central and it just feels right. I thought the Mercedes drove well but this is in a different class.

Now onto charging, range and everything electric! When I picked the car up it was 1°C and it obviously hadn’t been pre heated, I did just over 100 miles, a mixture of all driving styles and conditions and at the end of the day I finished up at 3.1 mpkwh, as I say that includes lots of stopping and everything getting cold, a heavy right foot and a good amount of sport mode. On the motorway it glides along at 75 and on flat ground with two passengers would easily return 4+ mpkwh. I struggled setting up octopus and the ohme  charger last night but managed to work it out this morning so it’s set to charge tonight from 11:30 to 5:30 which will get me fully charged. From my calculations in 6 hours I can charge the car by 60% so even at 3 mpkwh I’ll pay 2.5p per mile. Which is amazing. Other things to mention, the sound system is brilliant even if I’m still tweaking the levels. It’s a car that you can cruise along in and it’s like floating but stick it in sport and its a completely different beast. I was worried over the seats not being as adjustable as first told but for me they are perfect, soft and comfortable, but then supportive when you want to push it. It’s hard to describe just how good the car is. The only thing I can say is if you’re considering one please take one for an extended test drive and you’ll see what I mean, and for those waiting for delivery,  I hope the time flies, the wait is worth it.

I’ll do a more in depth review next weekend and update on real range and any challenges with charging,  but for the moment I’ll just say, and I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’ve seen the future and it’s garlic bread,  sorry electric 😅

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JohnK
      Participant

@matt
        Thx for the review got me looking forward to getting my i4 now 👍

Tam
        Spectator

I don’t like the blue trims on it

it would be better colour coded to match

Mm7
          Participant

Thank you for your review. Im counting my days down to get my i4 which is being built this month but not delivered until next.
            It would be good to know if your car was on full charge when getting it from the dealer and how many miles on average your getting per charge. Is it the claimed or less?

Matt
            Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@Mm7 thanks, the car was at 100% when I went to see it on the 22nd March and 98% When I collected it on the 1st. I’ll keep everyone informed on range as I go. I’ve only done just over 100 miles but I think it’ll be more than adequate for me as I don’t do long distances,  but if you did I think 300 miles would be achievable on a charge. I’ll do a write up on ohme/octopus intelligent charging as it was a pain to work out the best way to combine the apps.</p>

Elliot
              Participant

I don’t like the blue trims on it it would be better colour coded to match

The blue trim is optional.

Phaedra
                Participant

@Matt There’s a great guide here,

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

72 dudes
                  Participant

Got ours last Friday and I echo pretty much everything Matt says in his review.

The car drives superbly, feeling solid yet somehow nimble.

The ride is firm but beautifully supple and corners flatly.

We don’t find the seats as comfortable as the ones in our XC40, and I have had to experiment with different seat positions to get comfortable. Annoying that you can’t alter the tilt of the seat base, I think this feature was removed recently.

Technology amazing, love the head up display and the Harmon Kardon stereo. Have spent hours just going through the menus and settings! Voice control (or BMW personal assistant as they call it) actually works and I used battery and interior pre conditioning on a frosty morning to great effect.

Economy, a bit too early to say, but with nearly all short journeys in colder weather, efficiency is sitting at 3.1 m/kWh like Matt’s. On a longer gentle journey it was just under 4 miles/kWh.

Photos to follow….

72 dudes
                    Participant

72 dudes
                      Participant

72 dudes
                        Participant

Now I know most of you don’t like the blue accents and the addition of the aluminium trim around the windows is old school, but to us it makes the car look classy and longer!

Plus it will be virtually unique unless somebody else ticked the same options as us. Skyscraper Grey is currently exclusive to the Sport trim, so there won’t be that many around anyway.

Mm7
                          Participant

That looks incredible. I was wondering what colour that is.  Looks very unique and definitely wont be many around. I love the blue on it, gives it a contract and most other bmw i4’s wont have it. Thanks for the review.

kezo
                            Participant

Nice colour 🙂

kj35
                              Participant

It’s a beauty @72dudes.

My 5 series 2.5 litre m sport tourer finally went to the great garage in the sky last week after 142000 miles. I think the water pump in it was worth more than it was in the end but oh in its heyday it was a thing of beauty to drive. Have lots of fun.

Tam
                                Spectator

Is the silly blue trim compulsory ?

pauld
                                  Participant

Im glad i kept the blue accents too

pauld
                                    Participant

Tam
                                      Spectator

I think it looks good on the grill, I’m not keen of the side and rear trims, are they selectable or is there no choice?

pauld
                                        Participant

Its either rear ,side ,front in blue or not at all.The rear i agree im not sold on that ,side and front i like.

kj35
                                          Participant

I like it. Each to their own. I don’t like cars being ‘cookie cutter’ all looking exactly the same in a car park. Probably why I like Markymate’s green Kia too and possibly why I ordered the ( unpopular) id5

pauld
                                            Participant

The parking assist plus pack with drive recorder, is well worth the upgrade and being able to check the car by video from phone as already proved useful..So nice having built in recorder than faffling with wires for dashcam

72 dudes
                                              Participant

Is the silly blue trim compulsory ?

😆 No you can deselect the blue for frozen grey

AKX
                                                Participant

@Tam Just because you have an allergy to the look of the blue trim doesn’t mean you need to share negative thoughts, I prefer a car completely blacked out myself but it’s nice to appreciate all other peoples style of trim esp. since the sport trim is rare.

JohnK
                                                  Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@72dudes love that colour think the blue really sets it apart and makes it stand out more looks unique.</p>

@pauld

I opted for drive recorder and parking plus so nice to hear good feedback on it.

Adrian
                                                    Participant

Nice! 😍

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                                                      AKX
                                                      Participant

@Tam The sport trim is rare because it’s hardly been seen on the road since the launch of the i4 in 2022, so in that sense it’s rare not when it comes to customers being able to purchase it.

Also just because you find something silly doesn’t make it that, I feel like some comments can affect others differently to how you see it. A lot of electric cars have blue all over it, it’s pretty normal for others to like it although you and I wouldn’t opt in for it.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.