New 2021 DS 4 E-TENSE plug-in hybrid: What a beauty

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138791 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Next electrified DS will slot in above DS 3 but below DS 7 in the range when it goes on sale later in 2021

The new DS 4 E-TENSE plug-in hybrid has been revealed in full. The car will be available in three distinct versions – the standard DS 4, the SUV-styled DS 4 Cross and the luxurious DS 4 Performance Line – with a choice of petrol, diesel or petrol-electric plug-in hybrid power.

It’s set to go on sale in the fourth quarter of 2021 and will be offered from launch with a familiar petrol-electric plug-in hybrid powertrain seen in other Stellantis Group models, including the Peugeot 3008 Hybrid, DS 7 Crossback E-TENSE, Vauxhall Grandland X Hybrid and Citroen C5 Hybrid.

This consists of a 1.6-litre turbocharged petrol engine and electric motor, producing a combined total of 222bhp and offering a 31-mile electric range. Customers can also choose regular 128, 178 and 222bhp petrol engines, or a 128bhp diesel. An eight-speed automatic gearbox is the only transmission choice.

The design of the DS 4 was inspired by the company’s Aero Sport Lounge concept, which was unveiled in February 2020 but never got to make a public debut due to cancellation of the Geneva Motor Show. It measures 4.4 metres long, 1.83 metres wide and 1.47 metres high. Up front, there’s a new light signature embedded in the slim LED matrix projector headlights, as well as LED daytime running lights, while wheel sizes up to 20 inches are available.

The DS 4 Performance Line variant of the car is set apart by black exterior trim – on the wings, between the rear lights on the grille and on the side window frames. It also gets a specific alloy-wheel design, as well a specific interior finish, including swathes of Alcantara trim, plaited cloth upholstery, forged carbon on the steering wheel, customisable ambient lighting and a 690W, 14-speaker Focal sound system.

Elsewhere, the DS 4 Cross version (below) gets off-roader-inspired styling cues, including matt black finish lower down on the body, as well as gloss-black upper window frames, a gloss-black grille, its own design of alloy wheel, roof bars and a body-coloured roof. The Cross can be given a modicum of off-road ability by specifying the optional Advanced Traction Control, which incorporates modes for tackling sand, snow and mud, along with hill-descent control.

All versions of the DS 4 have what its maker describes as “a digital interior”. A key feature is ‘invisible’ air vents, named ‘DS AIR’ by the brand. It uses compact air vents mounted high up in the cabin, with hidden blades. DS says this removes the need for air vents to be integrated into the dashboard, allowing it to be more flowing and less cluttered. Materials used inside to give a high-end luxury feel include various types of leather, Alcantara, forged carbon and wood.

Interior technology includes an extended head-up display with augmented reality, intended to minimise the amount of time the driver needs to take their eyes off the road. Using an optical illusion, this system will seemingly project information on the road ahead as you look out the windscreen, following your gaze in the process. Information projected will include your current speed, driver-aid indications, navigation directions, warning messages or music track names. The head-up display will also be used for the car’s infrared night-vision system.

Advanced driver-assistance technology is also set to feature on the DS 4, with precise lane positioning, semi-automatic overtaking, speed adjustment for corners by the cruise-control system and traffic-sign recognition all possible. All-round radar and a camera at the top of the windscreen will be used to feed data to these systems. The DS 4 will also employ the ‘Active Scan Suspension’ that has already debuted on the DS 7; this scans the road ahead for bumps and imperfections before preparing the suspension to best deal with them, promising improved comfort on all road types as a result.

As a compact premium plug-in hybrid, the DS 4 E-TENSE will be a direct rival for the likes of the Audi A3 and Q3 TFSI e, Volvo XC40 Recharge, BMW X1 xDrive25e and Mercedes A 250 e and GLA 250 e when it goes on sale.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #138794 Reply
    MickC

Its a looker,when is it going on the scheme.

#138795 Reply
    MickC
    #138796 Reply
    Brydo

No prices yet mick, well I can’t find any, so until then we won’t find out if it’s motability bound.

#138797 Reply
    Lou

This looks refreshingly interesting….it’s a shame we don’t know if Itl be on motability yet.

#138798 Reply
    Brydo

If the scheme is to remain a strong choice these cars need to be on it.

#138799 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

I read somewhere today that “expect” the lowest ICE trim to start around £25K.

#138804 Reply
    Shaun

Anyone else seeing some alfa romeo in that design shape?

#138806 Reply
    TheSUVGuy

This is what I expected from the VW id range, like I’ve said before, the french design wise doing very well also with innovation

#138808 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Could be a useful addition. Let’s see.

#138812 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

That’s really not a bad looking motor. If I wanted an SUV, I’d be well tempted – as long as I could get some proper wheels to replace the nasty standard things. Be nice if they ported over the technology to a proper saloon. From the snap here, there seem to be too many bleepy, flashy touch-screens and not enough real switches, knobs and buttons.

#138843 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

It’s a pity that PSA group didn’t use the 75kWh battery pack they use in their vans & make it a full EV option. As it’s still a “fossil” I can’t possibly recommend it despite its looks.

#138860 Reply
    Brydo

Julie you are indeed an ev warrior no doubt, I have a bit more of a pragmatic take on electrification of cars in that I can see where hybrid cars can play a major role in the transition.

My daughter has just bought a Range Rover hybrid and has yet to use the engine. Her journeys are to and from work and are no more than 20 miles return.

So, although I know where your coming from, we have a long way to go before everyone can get a BEV that suits them.

#138883 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

DS boss vows to “do better” in UK with new model
    CEO Béatrice Foucher hopes the new DS 4 will provide the springboard to better UK sales

DS CEO Béatrice Foucher says she is “not happy” with the sales performance of the brand in the UK so far but is confident the new C-segment DS 4, soon to be launched here, can provide a springboard into this country’s “very large and competitive” premium market.

“We have been underperforming,” she says, “but I don’t believe our cars are the problem. We have great products and we are happy with the way they are positioned. The cars we have coming also fit the market. It is more a matter of customer mindset, of communication. We have not yet found the right way to persuade UK premium customers to move on from their traditional brands. We must work harder on that.”

DS will continue to sell its French-oriented ‘haute couture’ design message, says Foucher, although she believes the firm must also stress its cutting-edge technology – such as its plug-in hybrid models that also offer 4×4 – because “we are not selling handbags”. With the right marketing, she believes the DS 4 can achieve “a big sales increase in the UK” although she admits to not yet having all the answers in what has proved a difficult market.

Even so, DS’s 2021 offensive will include “careful” sale of the already launched DS 9 luxury saloon, with supplies limited so as to avoid over-stocking and price discounting. DS dealers and bosses are already well aware of the poor residuals performance of large French saloons in the UK. “DS 9 is a very nice car, an exceptional car,” said Foucher. “We will take care not to kill it.”

Referring to DS’s status within the newly formed Stellantis group, Foucher welcomed the opportunity to be part of a “premium pool” with Alfa Romeo and Lancia. “Having sisters and brothers makes us stronger,” she said. “We can develop new premium technology to share across our brands that might have been too expensive on our own.”

DS retains its previously revealed ambition eventually to offer six models rather than the current four, but will not rush the process, Foucher said.

#138887 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Julie you are indeed an ev warrior no doubt, I have a bit more of a pragmatic take on electrification of cars in that I can see where hybrid cars can play a major role in the transition. My daughter has just bought a Range Rover hybrid and has yet to use the engine. Her journeys are to and from work and are no more than 20 miles return. So, although I know where your coming from, we have a long way to go before everyone can get a BEV that suits them.

Indeed Brydo, but my point is about this new car not having a full EV option when the company already has all the necessary underpinnings available, the PHEV is welcome, but I feel they could have gone a little further towards a BEV as well. My own car (the e2008) from the same group has petrol/diesel & BEV options & that model was released in 2019, plus the DS3 also has a full EV option, the E-Tense.

#138890 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I see Julie, i didnt catch that.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: New 2021 DS 4 E-TENSE plug-in hybrid: What a beauty
Your information: