New 2020 Volkswagen ID.3: price £23,000 – GAME CHANGER?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #109271 Reply
    Brydo

Volkswagen’s first dedicated electric vehicle will go on sale this summer, with a range of up to 342 miles and a base-price of around £23,000

Volkswagen’s first dedicated electric vehicle, the ID.3, will go on sale in summer this year. In Germany, prices will start from €30,000, which translates to around £23,000 in the UK once the Government’s £3,500 plug-in car grant has been applied. Volkswagen says the car will be around £800 cheaper than an an equivalently specced petrol or diesel Golf.

Volkswagen’s most recent electric vehicles, (the e-Golf and the e-Up!), are both based on combustion-engined platforms. However, the ID.3 marks the debut of the brand’s all-new MEB platform – a bespoke pure-electric platform that will soon underpin dozens of electric vehicles from Volkswagen, SEAT, Skoda and Audi.

• Volkswagen ID.3 vs. Volkswagen e-Golf

The ID.3 will be launched in a single, limited-run “1st Edition” specification. Each example will feature a rear-mounted 201bhp electric motor and 58kWh battery pack, which Volkswagen says will provide a range of between 186 and 261 miles.

Global production of the ID.3 “1st Edition” will be limited to just 30,000 units – and all of them have already been reserved, including those allocated for the UK market. British buyers should expect to get their vehicles this summer, around the same time that the rest of the ID.3 range goes on sale.

The standard-issue, entry-level ID.3 will feature a less powerful 148bhp electric motor and a smaller capacity 45kWh battery, for a range of between 143 and 205 miles. Volkswagen’s 201bhp electric motor will also be offered with a 77kWh battery in higher-specced models, allowing the ID.3 to cover between 242 and 342 miles before recharging.

Mid- and higher-spec ID.3s will offer support for 100kW fast charging as standard, which will allow around 180 miles of range to be added in half an hour. However, the uprated charging system will be offered as an optional extra on the entry-level model, in a bid to keep down the sticker-price. As such, it’ll stick with a 50kW charger.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/id3

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #109272 Reply
    Philjb

Vw will sell loads of these at those prices. Fingers crossed it comes onto the scheme within a year or so.

#109276 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Fantastic news Brydo and my dealer is just 4 miles away

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#109284 Reply
    brydo

Has the BEV versus ICE cost difference swung to the BEV being cheaper?

We have been told that EVENTUALLY BEVs would be cheaper to produce than ICE cars. VW are saying this car is £800 cheaper than an equivalent ICE car, if this is true, and we have no reason to disbelieve VW lol, then this change has happened quicker than predicted.

The base model will do over 140 miles on a charge, which is a bit short for most, with most expensive model doing between 242-342 miles.

#109287 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

This could certainly be a game changer for the cost comparison of BEV vs ICE’s. Only time will tell but as you say Brydo, it’s coming.

Interesting that, for me, the article had a Renault Zoe advert in exactly the same ‘bluey’ colour! They look pretty similar.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#109292 Reply
    brydo

Do you think Wayne? Its just slightly bigger than a VW Golf so a reasonable size that would suit many on the scheme, I think.

Yes this year will see many BEVs and hybrid coming to the market, how many make it onto the scheme is anyone’s guess.

#109293 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

If I was a betting man, I’d say this is perfectly placed to open the floodgates. It looks pretty good and as you say the size is bang on.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#109305 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Limited supply only in order to prevent people from buying other EVs in the meantime whilst VW play catch-up, the VW dealers will of course sell you a polluting fossil car instead, probably with more emissions than documented.

VW are having software problems too, so by the time it reaches the mass market reliably it will be out-of-date.

Meanwhile…. Hyundai Kona Electric production has started in the Czech Republic.. The plant plans to produce 30,000 electric vehicles in the first year. Hyundai to become the biggest provider of zero-emission vehicles in Europe with about 80,000 units available in 2020. Oh, & yes, the software works as it’s been refined over quite a few years on our roads.

Alternative is the MG ZS EV, the EU prevents all the software from being available here so it lacks some features available in the rest of the World but at least it works (mostly).

#109339 Reply
    Bandit
    Participant

It’s the future and no mistake. EVs are really beginning to gather momentum now.

#109343 Reply
    Brydo

Bandit when i first joined the Forum 2 years ago i said that in five to ten years time more than 50% of ALL cars sold would be EVs. Neadless to say that statement was taken with a pinch of salt with most totally disagreeing.

It great to see so many members taking up the EV challenge and moving forward with it. Here’s hoping we get some nice surprises Q2 on the scheme.

#109385 Reply
    Bandit
    Participant

The thing I most like about the move into EV is the fact it’s doing away with manual gearboxes, with economy of scale this should prove financially beneficial to all of us that are limited to autos.

#109387 Reply
    brydo

That certainly is a bonus for many, also I love the tech, it would more than likely have been introduced in ICE cars also but Elon Musk certainly played a major part, and still is with the introduction of tech in cars.

#145772 Reply
    Ket

When choosing the shade of your car, you should correctly prioritize – whether you need a bright car to attract attention, which plays on safety and beauty, or you are a supporter of practicality and do not have much desire to spend every evening with a rag.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: New 2020 Volkswagen ID.3: price £23,000 – GAME CHANGER?
Your information: