Need some advice ( Private Plate Issue)

• Creator
    Topic
  • #145842 Reply
    James Pond

I have had a cherished plate for over 13 years on the scheme.

I call CS to get the ball rolling and put it on my new car, this is because many dealers now refuse to reg the car with you’re plate on car on hand over day.

During the phone call rep asked me in a off hand manner “what the plate means to me”

I said “nothing” only because i wanted to get off the phone call asap

She then says they wont allow me to Motability wont be able to let me put the plate on the new car because the plate means “nothing” to me,

At this point i am confused, not angry or upset. I ask her to escalate the issue and she put me on hold and comes back a few mins later to say her line manger said It cant be done since i said it means nothing.

I then said had i known it was that important i would have told her a reason, after all it does mean something. Why else would i want to put it on my car if it meant nothing to me ?

Her reply ” we have to take your 1st answer”

I didn’t realise i was under oath

I am going to call back on Monday and see if i talk to someone else as the whole thing seems very strange.

If that is  a new rule why don’t they make it clear. The website says nothing about it having to “mean” something to you.

https://www.motability.co.uk/your-lease/personalised-number-plates/

Is there a statue of limitations on my answer ? She couldn’t  give me an answer. I wake up on Monday and it means something to me. Or maybe my reasons were private and i didn’t want to discuss them with her due to the nature of it? I said this to her to no avail.

In short, one of the most odd conversations i have had in many years.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated

JB

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #145843 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

I`m afraid they stick by that rule as well, it was the first thing they asked me years and years ago when i first got my cherished plate. They said it was to stop other people personalising the car, so the plate has to refer to the owner in a specific and personal way. Just explain to them exactly what the plate means and why you want it on the car.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#145850 Reply
    joss

It says:

“If you are interested in adding personalised number plates to your Motability Scheme vehicle, you should call us on 0300 456 4566 before purchasing the plates to check that they meet our criteria. If we agree that you can add your personalised number plates, you will need to call us back once you have purchased them to start the process.

If you already own the right to display the plates, you should call us to discuss adding them to your vehicle and we will check them against our criteria at the same time.

Please note that we are unable to accept any responsibility for the retaining or assigning of a personalised number plate. If you add personalised number plates to your Motability Scheme vehicle, you may lose your entitlement to them if we have not been notified of your plans at the end of your lease. Please speak to your dealer about what you plan to do, or contact us on 0300 456 4566 .

The key words “Against our criteria” But what is their criteria? It isn’t stated any where that I can see.

Maybe they should display exactly what their criteria is. I don’t know. However. If you had answered honestly what the private plates meant to you. It may well have been to your advantage.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#145856 Reply
    Dave W

I’m struggling a bit with the difference between “nothing” or “they are my initials” to get off the phone quicker if I am honest.

You have fallen foul of giving a daft answer to a genuine question. That said, if you can indeed prove they do mean something, such as your initials then I can’t see any reason why they would not be swayed to letting you use them again.

#145857 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

I asked my dealer to register my new car with plate but for whatever reason it didn’t get done. Probably due to getting it turned around in 12 days. Is your name on the retention certificate? As surely that shows it is yours. I said the same thing as you last time I assigned it  but might of then gone on to say just always wanted one. Mine is just one of the cheapest ones so letter number combination is more what I like then spelling anything in particular.

Current car
    Peugeot 5008 Allure Premium
    Previous Cars
    VW Touran SEL

#145860 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

you need to ring motability at the very least you want the plate on retention if they wont allow transfer.

#145867 Reply
    Rhodgie

Daft answer to a legitimate question has got you here, always be truthful or simply say it’s personal.

Either going to have to do without it this term or try and explain that particular day you were having a bad time and didn’t feel like going into any personal stuff, hopefully if you’ve had it on previous motability cars they’ll see that and understand 🤞

#145868 Reply
    Belfast4

The DVLA are not allowing a lot of new cars to be registered with a private plate, it has to be registered first and then the number put on.

#145869 Reply
    Richie

If you have not noticed DVLA have shut a lot of their centres down and yes last few years they want new cars registered before a plate goes on, this is so the car has a assigned registration and they can if you change or sell on a car in the future just put the same assigned reg back on the car, it saves a lot of time, data and money of generating a new number for the car if they first registered it to your plate, it also means location data stays correct.

its generally been changing to this since the new reg change in areas as more local dvla centres are closed down

#145873 Reply
    Lee Bengough

They allowed a friend to put a plate on his with his late brothers initials obviously he explained the meaning too him that it’s in his brothers memory.

#145886 Reply
    joss

If you have not noticed DVLA have shut a lot of their centres down and yes last few years they want new cars registered before a plate goes on, this is so the car has a assigned registration and they can if you change or sell on a car in the future just put the same assigned reg back on the car, it saves a lot of time, data and money of generating a new number for the car if they first registered it to your plate, it also means location data stays correct. its generally been changing to this since the new reg change in areas as more local dvla centres are closed down

Spot on Richie

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by joss. Reason: removed double quote

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#145909 Reply
    James Pond

The plate is reg’d to me with DVLA and on retention.

Had she told me ” I have to go thru some questions as part of the process

or

Due to changes in process it has to mean something to you for us to be able to put it on the car ,,

That would be fair enough .. the way she asked was like you would when your waiting for the computer to bring up the details .

No ones asked me what it means in 13 years and 4 transfers

Anyway i thought i’d share as it may help someone else

JP

#145913 Reply
    garry
    Participant

Hi James

Tell them you were having a bad day and didn’t want to get into what you thought would be a trivial conversation, not a loaded critical criteria test question.

Then tell them it means that much to you that if you can’t have it, that you will seriously consider leaving the scheme.

#145920 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

Thanks for letting us know @James Pond , I will be inheriting my father’s number plate , I’m not very forthcoming with information, so at least I know if they ask to say yes

#146040 Reply
    James Pond

I called back Monday and briefly explained the situation. They checked with another dept, got back to me today and since i had it on my car for the last 14 years they said i can put my plate on.

I was prepared for either outcome, one has to be philosophical in life however i am happy that common sense won the day.

The lady i spoke to on Monday was very helpful and empathetic once i explained the situation to her, I have to give her credit and the manager.. they could have said “computer said no ” effectively

FYI ,You only have 72 hrs to put the plate on once you put the request in. If like me you need someone’s help worth arranging that aspect 1st

JP

#146044 Reply
    joss

@James Pond

So pleased that you have managed to get this all sorted out James. Common sense prevails.👍

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#146136 Reply
    Mossfinn

I had my last Motobility car registered with my private plate before taking delivery. I had the number on a retention certificate and I gave that to the dealer so when I collected the car, it had my plates on it. When I rang Motobility to early terminate the car, I paid them the £80 retention fee and about an hour later, I got an email with a registration number on it. Took it to Halfords who switched the plates and a few weeks later, received a new retention certificate from DVLA.
    BTW, when the DVLA issue a plate to replace a private plate, they do not use the original car registration, that’s dead and gone. The take an unreleased registration from the year the car was registered and use that.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Need some advice ( Private Plate Issue)
Your information: