My test drives – Enyaq, Ioniq 5 & 6

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

Sometimes it’s just to much like fun to have to test 3 great cars.  I touch about me, I’m on the heavy side of overweight, I’ve back and knee issues and I’m Autistic,  I love driving electric cars because the only noise I should be hearing is anything I decide we want (music, radio, audio books) there’s little road noise and nil engine noise.

First, on Thursday was the Enyaq.  I was looking at the 85 Edition, which the dealer didn’t have but I ended up testing the 80 coupe as the seats, drive and power would be similar.   The drive was comfortable but you could tell when there was any imperfection in the road, which given it was Cornish country roads there were plenty.  Seats weren’t massively comfortable, they’d be perfect for someone nearer to a ‘normal’ BMI but for this old aged lump the bolsters on the seat back were starting to be uncomfortable after about an hour’s drive. The regenerative braking was present but even in it’s strongest setting it wasn’t one foot driving.  Given we were driving local roads, the opportunity to hit 60-70mph didn’t appear but the car was quiet enough in wet conditions.  It’s a good car.

Today was the Ioniq 5.  I got to test the exact version we were looking at, Ultimate RWD with tech pack.  Seats were amazingly comfortable, wide enough to be figure hugging for me and really good to sit in.  Journey was different but we took some proper Cornish back roads and had a chance to enjoy some motorway speeds as well.  The car handles most bumps and dips with absolute ease.  After about 20 minutes of wheeling around the bendy back roads my wife chirps up with “it feels like floating” which was a pretty accurate assessment of the way the car travels.  We could feel the worst of the pot holes but the usual lumps, bumps and imperfections were easily hidden.  The upholstery was the light grey, which could be a little bright but again helped make the car feel a little bigger inside, the ambient lighting kept my daughter entertained, especially when we found the menu for the different light colours.  Seats were easily adjusted so that we all could find a comfortable position, even in the back with a little recline.  The space was, as you’d expect, cavernous with plenty of room everywhere for all of us.  The boot is wide, deep but rather shallow so perfect for large flat boxes but less so for something a little higher than normal.   Lovely car.

Then, from the same dealer, the Ioniq 6.  After floating around in the 5 I was really hopeful I’d be seeing a similar level of comfort and the real questions were around getting somewhere we all felt comfortable.  Unfortunately the demonstrator was a Premium RWD, so that lost the HUD (which I could easily get used to) and the comfort/relaxation seats.  The seating position wasn’t bad but I was very aware of the proximity with the roof, partly because it was black, and once sat where legs and back were comfortable, I found I was too high to properly use the rearview mirror, it couldn’t be tilted up enough, I had a choice of seeing half the rear window or dipping my head to see all that was behind.  My daughter loved being hidden away in her cave as she called the back seat, even my wife preferred to sit in the back.  The ride itself was firmer than the 5, feeling rather similar to the Enyaq, which meant I felt more comfortable throwing the car at corners and could have been more aggressive but that’s not how I drive, so the handling was far more than enough to keep me where I wanted to go.  The lumps, bumps and dips in the road were more obvious than the 5, less so than the Enyaq but once we got to the speed bumps I felt the need to slow down much more than they were intended to get.

The 6 didn’t feel longer than the other 2 cars, which are of a similar length (about 20 cm shorter than the 6).  The Enyaq felt the tallest and the slowest and that wasn’t exactly a slouch.  The 6 was a good car to have a fun little drive around the back roads and could easily sit on a motorway for hours but just wasn’t quite comfortable enough.  The 5 is perfect for us.  The seats felt both supportive and comfortable, the ride was the smoothest and most relaxing and we could all sit in there for much longer than any car we’ve had previously.

3 very good cars, I could honestly say that if anyone picked on over the others, they’d got a good car.  The Enyaq would have meant adding a pack, with the risks of not getting all the cost back if terminated early (or written off), the Ioniq 6 would have been a great choice for looking distinctive, if you want to be the only car like that in the car park. However, for comfort, ride, equipment and pure joy to drive, the 5 was the top of our list.  A lot of the deciding factors are personal, what’s great for me may not be for others, but pick one of those for a good large EV and you’ll have done really well.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 2 replies - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MFillingham
      Participant

186 miles is low, I’m guessing that, as it’s a pretty quick car, the reading is based on past driving and test drives will be somewhat aggressive.  As with any car if you’re going around a roads as quickly as possible and are accelerating hard as you enjoy the car then the efficiency is pretty poor.

The current stats for the AWD suggest it doesn’t lose much range but everything else suggest you should see about 10-15 miles less than the RWD version.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
        I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Fastbike1000
        Participant

I wasn’t very impressed with the range. The car on pick up had a full battery but it was only showing a range of 186 miles which is less than my Ariya with a smaller battery, yes I know it depends how it was driven before I picked it up but I would have expected it in the 230 or more range and the door handles were a pain, I really didn’t like them.

186 miles is low! Did you have it in AWD or RWD mode? @Bowley101 has the AWD model and gets 220 miles somewhere in the midst of Scotland.

Kezo. I didn’t know it was switchable between RWD & AWD. If that’s the case I’m assuming it was AWD it felt so planted. Like I said I expected a range of  about 230 miles.

Viewing 2 replies - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.